How many hours do you sleep a night?

martin

----
As a very rough average, obv. Don't mean to be intrusive, just curious. I'm about 5, hardly ever more than 6.5 though. Am I OK?

bassnation

the abyss
As a very rough average, obv. Don't mean to be intrusive, just curious. I'm about 5, hardly ever more than 6.5 though. Am I OK?

not enough - prob. same as you. i used to sleep in the day on weekends to catch up but these days i don't even seem to be able to do that. if ihave less than 5 i'm seriously grumpy and slow at work.

zhao

there are no accidents
I'm about 5, hardly ever more than 6.5 though. Am I OK?

depends on the rest of your life: if you get enough excercise, eat relatively good, and don't do excess amount of drugs i think 6 hours is good.

me i like 8 though... but last night i got... 2 or 3.

mind_philip

saw the light
4.5 to 5 during the week, but it's fucking awful. However, it is more or less the only way to have a job and write/do anything productive for myself.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I never sleep/cos sleep is the cousin of death

I get 7 to 8 ideally; it's not worth the grumpiness of not getting that much.

My mum suffers terrible insomnia, so my sympathies go out to any other sufferers....

mms

sometimes
over the few years and more so recently i've had really terrible insomnia, one or two hours a night, up to 3 nights a week then 6 or so other nights, not something i've really been able to cope with well.
I've had some hypnotherapy for that recently and it's really helped quite alot as it goes and i feel a bit more stable mood wise.
i go to bed earlier in winter but usually about 7/ 1/2 hrs or less is my average.

gabriel

The Heatwave
somewhere between 6 and 8 i guess, i think 7 is probably what i need, sometimes i do 9 or 10 but it usually makes me feel a bit groggy

crackerjack

About 7, maybe. But I'm a very fitful sleeper and a good chunk of that time feels like I'm half-awake. Falling alseep is no problem; staying that way is another matter. I can cope with 5-6 hours, so long as I wake up gradually

nomos

Administrator
7 in a very good night, but maybe more like 6 or less most of the time. used to have terrible nighttime insomnia, starting i was little. then recently it switched to morning which was worse because i couldn't do/take anything for it. then i had it both coming and going for a bit which was fun. i generally hate going to bed.

cos sleep is the cousin of death

stelfox

Beast of Burden
marcus, does the hypnotherapy work? i'd be seriously interested in trying this. it's been a bit better over the past few weeks, but i routinely get three hours a night, often a lot less. it's not like i don't want or need the sleep, either. i'm shattered all the time and pretty grumpy. at weekends i'll often collapse for 10-15 hours to catch up but that's not really very useful...

STN

sou'wester
I'm an 8 a night man, myself. I can do 7 pretty comfortably, 6 is a bit of a chore, 5 and below and I'm useless.

If Father Ted has been involved in the preceding evening, I will stumble into bed at around 4am before waking with a horrific start at 6:15 as all the alcohol drains from my system. An absolutely horrendous working day will then ensue...

mixed_biscuits

Sometimes I feel strangely compelled to break a streak of alert working days with a befuddled day on the job (tiredness, not drink obv), just for the feel of doing something with a slightly altered state of consciousness.

I also like the challenge of having to force alertness.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
force alertness, eh?

I just can't do that. I've twice fallen asleep in meetings after the idiot bravado of a heavy night on the grog ('I'll be fine! they don't own me'). Generally I just sit at my desk gently sobbing and listening to Every Picture Tells a Story, by Rod Stewart.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I'm a sleep hog, usually getting 9 or so hours a night...(I run about 10 miles a day on the average, and need this much sleep to sustain myself)...anything less than 8 seems like an all-nighter to me now...

zhao

there are no accidents
force alertness, eh?

I just can't do that. I've twice fallen asleep in meetings after the idiot bravado of a heavy night on the grog ('I'll be fine! they don't own me'). Generally I just sit at my desk gently sobbing and listening to Every Picture Tells a Story, by Rod Stewart.

:D:D

in highschool i carried a pillow with my books to class for a few days before a teacher told me to stop.

i used to do the George Kastanza thing of sleeping under the desk with chair for cover at the office.

also pretty much perfected the art of dosing off in front of computer with hands on mouse and keypad, keeping a straight countenence (only works if your back is to the room)

best was this big ad agency i worked at where they had a little sound-proofed sleeping room like a little hotel room by the reception. i used to go in there every other day, saying something to the receptionist like "if anyone asks I'm not in there" :)

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Usually about 5 during the week, sometimes 4 or 6 depending...about 7 on weekends but can be less. I'll have a sleeping binge one weekend night every two months or so where I get 10 or 11 hours in. I always feel drowsy the day after, but great for most of the following week. If I go more than four days on less than 5 hours each night I start to become a little unhinged.