Worth dying for

N

nomadologist

I really like the idea of using Iggy Pop instead though, because, as you say, the thanatic sonic elements are all there, and of course there's the Burroughs-esque jouissance in thanatos on top of that. Sort of more of a challenge to Deleuze instead of a direct application of his thought like in Kraftwerk. Sort of like Iggy Pop on the Idiot is the BwO that just flipped cancerous.

N

nomadologist

Damn you!! If you get this paper.article written I would love to read it.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Seriously the level of allusion between machine/capital/sex/undeath/romance-as-market... its the coldest fucking song of that whole era! I have no idea how he came up with something that fucking insightful, genius genius genius. Also weirdly reminds me of Dizzee Rascal's first album in its cold eyed appraisal of love as coldy realist Capitalist system...

Also the link between Detroit (Igy's home town) and Berlin (where he wrote album) (cross referenced with detroit techno/berlin techno).

Also UNLIKE kraftwerk or John Foxx the fleshiness of the man inside the machine, the cyborg creature is so blood and piss and heroin and alcohol and trudging muscular ache PRESENT, this is no antispectic future but immediate reality, the alienated labour of fucking...

N

nomadologist

Yes!! I was just listening to the lyrics yesterday and was blown away by the fact that someone who ostensibly never even read Freud had written them--like this:

mother was in my bed/and I made love to her
father he came for me/shot at me with his 6 gun
calling sister midnight/what can i do about my dreeeams??

The correlation between the heroin womb and the realm of the Imaginary is all over that album. We always used to call it a withdrawal album, that feeling of trying to make yourself walk in the bass and rhythm section parts in Sister Midnight, Nightclubbing, Mass Production.

Seriously, this paper will be awesome, I am tempted to steal your idea but I know that is not fair.

N

nomadologist

Being Nomadologist is pretty much like being derailed at all times, though. I have that midas touch.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I've not even begun to get into the other songs. Its an immense album which proves Iggy's clever dumbness (or dumb cleverness I'm not sure which) is every bit as rich as anything ACTUAL theory heads like Gang of Four or Scritti Politti came up with.

N

nomadologist

Ugh. "meeesss-THE-teehhks"

I hate that shit. I think Iggy P is much richer lyrically than either of those heads.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

There's also I Wanna Be Your Dog, one of my personal favorites, that's another paper though. You could talk a lot about Deleuze and Bataille. And maybe Genet.

That paper's probably been written.

N

nomadologist

Calling sister midnight
Youve got me reaching for the moon
Calling sister midnight
Youve got me playing the fool
Calling sister midnight

Calling sister midnight
Can you hear me call
Can you hear me well
Can you hear me at all
Calling sister midnight
Im an idiot for you
Calling sister midnight
Im a breakage inside
Calling sister midnight
Calling sister midnight
You know I had a dream last night
Mother was in my bed
And I made love to her
Father he gunned for me
Hunted me with his six gun
Calling sister midnight
What can I do about my dreams

Listen to me sister midnight
You put a beggar in my heart
Calling sister midnight
Youve got me walking in rags
Hey where are you sister midnight
Can you hear me call
Can you hear me well
Can you hear me at all

N

nomadologist

Before you go
Do me a favour
Give me a number
Of a girl almost like you
With legs almost like you
Im buried deep in mass production
Youre not nothing new
I like to drive along the freeways
See the smokestacks belching
Breasts turn bronw
So warm and so brown

Though I try to die
You put me back on the line
Oh damn it to hell
Back on the line - hell
Back on the line
Again and again
Im back on the line
Again and again
And I see my face here
And its there in the mirror
And its up in the air
And Im down on the ground

By the way
Im going for cigarettes
And since youve gotta go
Wont you do me that favour
Wont you give me that number
Wont you get me that girl
Yeah, shes almost like you
Yes, shes almost like you
And Im almost like him
Yes, Im almost like him
Yes, Im almost like him
Yeah, Im almost like him

N

nomadologist

Maybe we could have a discussion thread about them after we read them? I would be down for that, as long as I don't get distracted by less important things like my midterms.

Ahhhh, I remember reading 'Transcendental Miserablism' quite a few months ago--didn't make the connection between this and Vim's linked article. I actually sympathized with a couple of his points in TM, but this other article was full of strange contradictions.

We all know that I am all in favor of a "strict constructionist"-style reading of Deleuze, and find it extremely silly when people try to twist such obviously anti-capitalist strategies and goals into anything but. Why would you want to use the deterritorialization of market structures to *accelerate* a descent into "chaos" if you believe those structures to be positive or "vital" forces?

Weirdly contradictory.

There was a thread last year that addressed this very mis-appropriation of Deleuzian terms - and by none other than Vim's fave country, Israel's IDF: The IDF's Use of Theory as Warfare.

This further example of capitalism's 'worldless' reappropriation of otherwise revolutionary dynamics now takes on black-comic side-effects. Like Freud's nephew raiding his ideas for manipulative marketing and PR purposes, in order to 'conceptualize' the IDF urban warfare against the Palestinians, the IDF military academies regularly refer to Deleuze and Guattari, to Thousand Plateaux, but emptying it out, using it as a thoroughly depoliticized "operational theory" - the catch-phrases most often invoked include "Formless Rival Entities", "Fractal Manoeuvre", "Velocity vs. Rhythms", "The Wahabi War Machine", "Postmodern Anarchists", and "Nomadic Terrorists". One of the key distinctions they rely on is the one between "smooth" and "striated" space, which reflect the organizational concepts of the "war machine" and the "state apparatus". The IDF now often uses the term "to smooth out space" when they want to refer to an operation in a space as if it had no curvature, limits, or borders. Palestinian territories are redefined as "striated" because they are bounded by fences, walls, ditches, road blocks and so on.

As Eyal Weizman describes such dementia, in Israeli Military Using Post-Structuralism as 'Operational Theory, "The attack conducted by units of the IDF on the city of Nablus in April 2002 was described by its commander, Brigadier-General Aviv Kokhavi, as "inverse geometry", which he explained as "the reorganization of the urban syntax by means of a series of micro-tactical actions". During the battle soldiers moved within the city across hundreds of metres of overground tunnels carved out through a dense and contiguous urban structure. Although several thousand soldiers and Palestinian guerrillas were manoeuvring simultaneously in the city, they were so "saturated" into the urban fabric that very few would have been visible from the air. Furthermore, they used none of the city's streets, roads, alleys or courtyards, or any of the external doors, internal stairwells and windows, but moved horizontally through walls and vertically through holes blasted in ceilings and floors. This form of movement, described by the military as "infestation", seeks to redefine inside as outside, and domestic interiors as thoroughfares. The IDF's strategy of "walking through walls" involves a conception of the city as not just the site but also the very medium of warfare "a flexible, almost liquid medium that is forever contingent and in flux"."

The insight to be drawn from all of this twisted gibberish is not, of course, the nonsensical allegation of Deleuze and Guattari as 'theorists' of a Zionist-militaristic colonialism - but the conclusion that the conceptual machine articulated by Deleuze and Guattari, far from being ruggedly "subversive" or impervious to logistical sanitization, can also be 'adapted' to such warped pragmatism, to the military, social, economic, and ideologico-political operational mode of late capitalism.

N

nomadologist

The insight to be drawn from all of this twisted gibberish is not, of course, the nonsensical allegation of Deleuze and Guattari as 'theorists' of a Zionist-militaristic colonialism - but the conclusion that the conceptual machine articulated by Deleuze and Guattari, far from being ruggedly "subversive" or impervious to logistical sanitization, can also be 'adapted' to such warped pragmatism, to the military, social, economic, and ideologico-political operational mode of late capitalism.

Amazing, amazing points, but can't this last part happen to any conceptual machine under capitalism?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Twisted or not this is fascinating stuff HMLT. Especially the idea of city-as-flux... (tho this alone is obvious from their tactical re-defining of borders as their prime strategic long-term maneuver).

zhao

there are no accidents
the conceptual machine articulated by Deleuze and Guattari ... can also be 'adapted' to such warped pragmatism, to the military, social, economic, and ideologico-political operational mode of late capitalism.

anything can be used to facilitate anything. see Japanese state perversion of Zen Buddhism as vehicle for milliatary aggression, nationalism, and mass murder.

N

nomadologist

Twisted or not this is fascinating stuff HMLT. Especially the idea of city-as-flux... (tho this alone is obvious from their tactical re-defining of borders as their prime strategic long-term maneuver).

See also Virilio.