l o v e

zhao

there are no accidents
Oh FFS-- I broadly agree with most of this as generally positive things one could do with oneself (and undeniably so) but it is still insufficient.

you ask for answers and i give them to you.

what is really insufficient is you just saying that they are insufficient without explanations.

N

nomadologist

If this is true, Noel, can't the same be said for capitalism? That you can't destroy it by fighting it (staying healthy, meditating, etc.)?

I don't know if I like this line of reasoning, because as we've seen it leads to some pretty strange places (like people trying to say D&G were pro-capitalist).

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think you might be looking for something that can not exist.

The problem being that you cannot destroy something by fighting it. You will merely feed it and perpetuate it's reality. Look elsewhere.

Noel you know I don't think you can fight the situation with anything like conventional means. Indeed all that can be done is to bring out its own inherent contradictions and tensions and drive it towards some endpoint where change becomes possible.

ALSO: WHERE'S THE LOVE IN THE LOVE THREAD???? :eek:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
If this is true, Noel, can't the same be said for capitalism? That you can't destroy it by fighting it
I was talking generally but I think it very much applies to something like capitalism, yes.

(staying healthy, meditating, etc.)?

I don't know if I like this line of reasoning, because as we've seen it leads to some pretty strange places (like people trying to say D&G were pro-capitalist).
Hahaha. Funny, I never get that, can't be doing the right exercises or something.

N

nomadologist

I'm interested in hearing what Noel thinks we should do...how do you think we can bring down a machine so ruthlessly efficient as capitalism by looking inward? I'm very curious as to how people might think this could be accomplished.

N

nomadologist

But Gavin, love is going to save the world, it is everything that is kind, beautiful, and sacchrine!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

noel emits

Yeah, that's not a cliche or anything "get the monsters out of your system." What does THAT mean I wonder? I'm sure there's a perfectly status quo commensensical explanation for it. :rolleyes:
What does it mean? It's a metaphor. You have to use a little interpretation of your own, that's how they work.

You talk of capitalism being a virus, well I accept that metaphor and would also say that there are many such virii all around and within us. Some beneficial maybe, some not so. It helps to try and see the difference, and to sort out what's parasitic from what is natural to oneself.

I know it's a cliche but cliche <> not true.

N

nomadologist

But the question is--who is really crazy? What are our norms? Should these govern our notions of what is mentally healthy?

Why do we artificially prolong life well beyond what makes any sense (beyond the fact that it makes people a lot of money)?

noel emits

I'm interested in hearing what Noel thinks we should do...how do you think we can bring down a machine so ruthlessly efficient as capitalism by looking inward? I'm very curious as to how people might think this could be accomplished.
How much do you understand about this machine and it's nature? Where does it come from? Why is it still here? Who wants it? Who doesn't? How does it perpetuate itself? Where does it live? What feeds it? Can we distinguish ourselves from it?

N

nomadologist

God I wish I were drunk right now. And I don't even like alcohol.

N

nomadologist

How much do you understand about this machine and it's nature? Where does it come from? Why is it still here? Who wants it? Who doesn't? How does it perpetuate itself? Where does it live? What feeds it? Can we distinguish ourselves from it?

I try to understand it, I've taken economics courses and such. It's everywhere, it's in my desire, in order to get it out I think it's necessary to radically alter my subjectivity until my subjectivity is impervious to it. Everyone wants it, because the subject under capitalism is constructed and overdetermined to want nothing else.

The cure so to speak, according to the most radical thinkers, lies in redirecting your flows outward, away, toward the inhuman.

noel emits

But the question is--who is really crazy? What are our norms? Should these govern our notions of what is mentally healthy?

Why do we artificially prolong life well beyond what makes any sense (beyond the fact that it makes people a lot of money)?
I thought the question was love vs capitalism but ok...

If you can't tell what's crazy in you and what isn't then you have some work to do. That's all. It is up to you though.

N

nomadologist

I wasn't talking about me specifically, but to bring the discussion back to me I've pretty thoroughly mapped out my symptoms and pathologies. I've discussed them at length with professionals. No mystery there!

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
God I wish I were drunk right now. And I don't even like alcohol.

Pain=pleasure certainly with alcohol... give me something brown and burning, something that hurts and makes me crave cigarettes and other sublime self-destructive little acts...

Christ I should eat something before I start writing in verse...

N

nomadologist

Yeah, it's weird I've just never liked drinking to get bombed, I think my metabolism is too fast--I can't get drunk unless I drink a ton, and then it kills my stomach.

I do love a good scotch, or bombay & tonic, or anything top shelf just for the taste and slight buzz.

noel emits

The cure so to speak, according to the most radical thinkers, lies in redirecting your flows outward, away, toward the inhuman.
Well personally speaking I don't spend much time directing my flows, not even sure I have 'flows' to be honest. And if 'outward' means away from the body - well that's just dying and we'll get around to that anyway so it seems a bit redundant.

It does sound rather like these 'radical thinkers' are advocating giving up and abandoning the suffering creatures that we are on this planet. No blame but it would explain a lot about disappearing off into flights of abstract theoretical fancy and self negation.