l o v e

N

nomadologist

no, in my conception "losing a sense of who you are" is very much not the same thing as ego-dismantling.

do you think people who have gotten beyond the confines of their egos, who are generous and humble and kind and un-selfish, no longer know who they are?

quite the opposite. people like this know with certainty exactly who they are. and they act without doubts, with an assurance that the ego-maniac can never dream of.

You are using a conception of 'ego' that is completely divorced from the psychoanalytical tradition and I don't subscribe to it.

zhao

there are no accidents
You are using a conception of 'ego' that is completely divorced from the psychoanalytical tradition and I don't subscribe to it.

well i guess we have a problem then. one of different definitions. it just may incapacitate our conversation, huh? oh words... these pesky things... :)

N

nomadologist

Nevermind the dancing, this is one of the best lovesongs ever:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

zhao

there are no accidents
however i do think we have a valueble exchange here. precisely because of our different notions, of your Freudian and my Tibetan conceptions of the ego.

allow me to sum up my views:

love gives, and does not take away. it makes life fuller, not more deprived. it is empowering, and does not weaken. love provides more options, and is not restrictive. love allows one to more fully realize one's potentials, instead of deminishing those possibilities.

and it involves an absolution of the ego, which IS restrictive, which locks us in our patterns and habits, which is a closed system. ego is illusion, it is a false sense of the self. and must be destroyed if one is to be truly free.

:)

love,

zhao

N

nomadologist

If love "gives" and does not "take away" (it was actually Jesus who said this), then why should it dissolve the ego?

Shit makes no sense, word?

N

nomadologist

Also, none of what you said about love sounds Tibetan at all. Tibetans believe in NOTHINGNESS and getting there, not to expanding your range of possibilities in life. That sounds like pure capitalism to me.

zhao

there are no accidents
in the void there is more possibilities. when the mind is clear of ego, true human potentials are unleashed.

N

nomadologist

Well, yeah, but those possibilities ostensibly have nothing to do with sexual/romantic love.

N

nomadologist

If I need to explain this, we're really going nowhere.

The obligatory Johnny Cash video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

N

nomadologist

in the void there is more possibilities. when the mind is clear of ego, true human potentials are unleashed.

In the void, there is getting ready to die.

It's about flatlining, and getting ready to flatline, and spending your entire existence dying, that's what Tibetan Buddhism is about.

Who was the Tibetan monk who tried acid and said in one day it got him where 40 years in the mountains didn't?

N

nomadologist

No offense, Zhao, but you have a lot of ideas that seem to be straight out of the capitalist-realist status quo playbook then whitewashed with a veneer of "Easterness" to give them an aura of authenticity and respectability.

Of course, many of them are actually taken from Western religion, but who's counting?

N

nomadologist

actually, Jesus never said those things directly, but there is similar language in John and other places. i just used a bible program to search and couldn't find "love giveth" anywhere

N

nomadologist

You know the story about Richard Alpert giving his guru loads of Acid and the guy hardly blinked?

No, but I like this story.

One of my friends who lived in Westchester county had a maid who was Tibetan who lived on their third floor. She randomly had this kid, and he was chosen as the Pan-Chen Lama!!

Well, we used to trip all the time over there, because he had this big pool with tennis courts in his back yard. Once we were like two days in and all of these Tibetan monks showed up lighting incense everywhere and singing!! It was awesome, one of the most memorable things that I have ever seen.

They were very nice to us even though we were obviously a mess.

zhao

there are no accidents
Classic.

This thread is like a cosmic clash of paradigms.

:D

that's why it's so awesome :)

In the void, there is getting ready to die.

It's about flatlining, and getting ready to flatline, and spending your entire existence dying, that's what Tibetan Buddhism is about.

this is exactly half of what Tibetan Buddhism is about. dying is an art, just like life. in fact, one is just a continuation of the other, and the two are not separate. in order to have a beautiful death, a beautiful life is required. and in order to have a beautiful life, inner peace and enlightenment is needed. and in order to acheive inner peace and enlightment, the ego must be destroyed.

Who was the Tibetan monk who tried acid and said in one day it got him where 40 years in the mountains didn't?

i have not heard that one. sounds highly suspicious to me though. in fact, this monk who said that is most likely misinterpreted.

You know the story about Richard Alpert giving his guru loads of Acid and the guy hardly blinked?

there have been many many recorded cases of this. where monks take entire sheets of acid, drop 50 pills, snort a killo of coke, and has zero effect on them.