viktorvaughn

I'm writing up a list of my 50 favourite funky tunes of the year. I don't think there's been a slowdown. Marcus distorts the picture because he's gotten a lot more self-conscious about appearing "balanced" over the past six months or so.

I like "Wonderful Day" a lot but the vocals are a bit of a blatant cred-move. Was surprised to learn the vocalist is in Soultonic Soundsystem though!

Tim who are the guys to check then?

The last few Mak10 sets I've heard have felt a bit softer than before.

Thanks.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually though I can see where you're coming from... When it gets all banging it gets dull quite quickly. A healthy mix would be preferable, no?

continuum

smugpolice
I think there is room for pure hard instrumentals / pure vocals / a mixture.
Personally think Marcus and co are more suited to the grimy hard instrumentals but miss the experimentalism of the earlier sets.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
On the subject of sweet female vocals, does anyone know when 'In the Morning' is coming out on vinyl?

I NEEEEED it

alex

Do not read this.
no unfortunately, havent got a clue..

anyone know who made that 'neighbourhood' remix (zed bias)

think it was roska..?? its hard though, even sticks to the O.G structure...big

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Wonderful Day.

I HATE this tune, the vocals sound like some drugged-up indie wasteman like Pete Doherty.

Still think Cooly D has nailed the female etherialness with her vocals. mmm!

Why is no one else hyping about Maxwell D over the Inflation Riddim, not least because you can download it and other vocal tunes for free from his site?

There's two house mixes of Neighbourhood i think, one by Roska and another by Zed Bias himself.

I don't think splitting the music into vocal / not vocal is a good reflection of what's happening, there's a lot of rude tunes with female vocals and there's enough good instrumental tunes on the 'sweet' tip. On the other hand, if there's something I hate more than piano + diva singing cliches is 130bpm grime tunes with a 44 kick pretending to be house.

faustus

no unfortunately, havent got a clue..

anyone know who made that 'neighbourhood' remix (zed bias)

think it was roska..?? its hard though, even sticks to the O.G structure...big

yeah roskas done one, he opened with it at dirty canvas. and zed bias has done a 2009 one as well i think

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I don't think splitting the music into vocal / not vocal is a good reflection of what's happening, there's a lot of rude tunes with female vocals and there's enough good instrumental tunes on the 'sweet' tip.

This I definitely agree with.
However, this bit:
'On the other hand, if there's something I hate more than piano + diva singing cliches is 130bpm grime tunes with a 44 kick pretending to be house.'
not so much. But in the spirit of fair debate, examples please?

I think a lot of Lil Silva's stuff is like that.

I also think everything Maxwell D has done so far relating to funky is shit to be honest. Give me the grunky getting made by Konan & Krept or Youngsta any day.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
On the other hand, if there's something I hate more than piano + diva singing cliches is 130bpm grime tunes with a 44 kick pretending to be house.

pah: it's danceable grime, i love it.

if there's something I hate more than piano + diva singing cliches is 130bpm generic house tunes made by someone from the ends with a 4x4 kick pretending to be new or interesting.

"ah emperor, what wonderful new clothes you have! quite unlike the ones worn by MAW and Dennis Ferrer and all those terrible Hed Candi types..."

viktorvaughn

I think a lot of Lil Silva's stuff is like that.

I also think everything Maxwell D has done so far relating to funky is shit to be honest. Give me the grunky getting made by Konan & Krept or Youngsta any day.

Youngsta is on funky nowadays (or Grunky)?

pah: it's danceable grime, i love it.

if there's something I hate more than piano + diva singing cliches is 130bpm generic house tunes made by someone from the ends with a 4x4 kick pretending to be new or interesting.

"ah emperor, what wonderful new clothes you have! quite unlike the ones worn by MAW and Dennis Ferrer and all those terrible Hed Candi types..."
don't get me wrong I like my grime as much as the next man, everyone who knows me knows that. What I don't like is people who doesn't like house, or does no effort to understand what house music is about, jumping ship just cause funky is popular now and there's more money to be made. I don't think you should feel alluded at all though ;)

But yeah, in the end, generic cliches is the first thing to avoid surely.

EDIT: Also, grime shouldn't need to be crossed with house to be danceable should it? not the kind of grime I like anyway

Last edited: