Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Sick Boy - Do you know anything about this Toronto show? UKC?

Took me by surprise as much as you mate. Contango was talking with me about maybe bringing him in only a week ago, so now we're left scratching our heads. It wouldn't be UKC; they don't really throw parties. My guess is it's either Marcus Visionary (which is the most likely choice, Contango is gonna give him a shout tonight) or Embrace, this larger promotion company who did the Skream and Benga show recently (the fact Contango wasn't asked to play also makes me suspect it might be them).

I should have an answer by the end of this weekend.

nomos

Administrator
yeah mtl guys were surprised as well. possibly marcus v. interesting.

funky is apparently going gangbusters in montreal by the way. if there's a city that would be up for it it's them. when i played in april it was ramjam and it sounds like ESL crew have had their hands full with parties all summer. all very different from the tepid early responses to grime and dubstep over here.

edit: re: marcus. hmmm. odd.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
yeah mtl guys were surprised as well. possibly marcus v. interesting.

funky is apparently going gangbusters in montreal by the way. if there's a city that would be up for it it's them. when i played in april it was ramjam and it sounds like ESL crew have had their hands full with parties all summer. all very different from the tepid early responses to grime and dubstep over here.

Yeah, I just went Montreal the other week because Contango got booked to play that party. It was decent, although to be honest the numbers in comparison with some dubstep nights I've been to in Toronto was similar. Dubstep pulls bigger numbers in Montreal overall though.

Toronto's response to funky is, like its response to anything new, mildly disinterested. For now.

nomos

Administrator
interesting. we had about 150 in a loft in april. though i imagine Komodo parties at SAT are pulling a lot more that these days. summer's supposed to be a bit quiet though i guess.

franz

my pal Rollie just moved to mtl over the summer. if he hasn't found 'em already, where should he be looking out for funky nights?

Ach!

Turd on the Run
this was ID'd a while back (in this thread I think)

Jan Driver - Rat Alert

Thanks Ory, been looking for this for a few months, didn't see it in here if it was! I know what I though he was saying now: "Rattler", but he meant Rat Alert.

luka

yeah i thought of finney when i wrote that but he doesn't count.
if tim finney was able to invent a genre he would have invented funky. so he had to like it. he had no choice. i remember when i first started hearing about people switching to funky house in 2000 and what? 4? 5? even earlier? and it seemed hopelessly regressive. my mates dj swapped all his grime for funky around then/ i was prejudiced against it for a long time.

and, if we're talking about finney, tim! how you going to tell me that and not give me a link!?!

luka

thank you tim finney. listening to that i heard about this

http://www.getpicd.com/parties/viewparty.cfm?eventid=8213

why dont you lot get down to this next time it's on?

i used to go stratford yatess a lot when i was still in town and i always had a good time. its probably more fun than bar rhumba or whereever you lot have been going and given that most of you live in hackney its easy to get too and easy to get home from.
i think you'd be mad not to go. dont be scared. im not a big scary looking guy and i never had any hint of trouble there. just lots of dancing and good times.

luka

in fact, on reflection, i will take it personally if an expedition is not planned and executed. local clubs are always the best and while yates's wine lodge is not a club as such it has a dancefloor and its certianly local. in fact its in the epicentre, the heartland!
the best club nights i've ever been to have been in stratford, mostly at eq/space/powerhouse. best crowds, best dressed, most knowledgable, most enthusiastic, best dancers.....
nothing in town will ever come close.

gumdrops

i wanna know what itll take for funky to move a bit faster, so the stuff that sounds like boring normal house can be excised and the uk stuff can really get a move on.

luka

you're in ilford gumdrops, thats an n25 home for you. i nominate you to lead the expedition.
alex can be your leiutenant.

]
i wanna know what itll take for funky to move a bit faster, so the stuff that sounds like boring normal house can be excised and the uk stuff can really get a move on.

Scotty B on Deja knocks it out at about 135, much more exciting

no homo

alex

Do not read this.
Im really excited to see where Cooly G, Deep Tek, Scratcha DVA & the like are looking to take funky this Autumn/Winter, we have (scratcha's) Natty fortcoming, so many deep tek bits I want to own it's unreal & Beyond now @ PP.

For some reason though I have to say that the more Tech influenced stuff has really caught my ear recently. Of course aswell, after hearing so many of those tunes I had kaned in my earphones for the last month on the PP system @ Beyond the other night, I can confidently say that they are doing alot more than anyone else producing the same sort of sound.

Please though, please, I am making a SERIOUS request to anyone in a position to stop it, please dont call it funkstep. Why??

BareBones

wheezy
that deep teknologi ep that came out on itunes is pretty dull i think
the stuff they had on their myspace earlier this year was much more exciting.
the overly techy stuff isn't really doing it for me at the moment. even some of the stuff cooly g was playing at beyond left me a bit cold though admittedly i only saw the last 20 mins of her set

Tim F

I reckon Cooly G's stuff sounds better when contextualised within juicier stuff like Ame (though "Rej" is a bit obv yeah), Dennis Ferrer, Jamie Jones etc (and "Badman Riddim" ha ha). Her 6th July Rinse FM is still my favourite set by her (and one of the best DJ sets I've heard this year), and the balance of her scratchy spartan techy sound with that moister deeper stuff works incredibly well.

Whereas Roska and Scratcha DVA I reckon sound better in the context of more typical funky. Which is maybe why Roska remixes of other funky tunes ("Quicktime", "The Print", "Promises") always work a treat, there's a kind of tension between his singular vision as a producer and a more generalised ravey populism.

Though the two producers are rather different in sound (Scratcha gets so electro-housey at times!)

That Fantastic 4 set they did on Rinse was A+++.