Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I agree that a set should flow and its good to sequence tunes which have some coherant link between them, but also I think that sometimes you can bring out something unnoticed in a tune by placing it between other tunes that it normally wouldn't be placed alongside... i.e. when Ben UFO/Bok Bok went b2b on Sub FM ages ago, there was a bit where Ben played a deepish dubstep tune right next to some rowdy funky/bassline or something and it made the dubstep tune seem somehow 'fresher' than it would have been in a whole set of dubstep.

Of course eclecticism can go tits up very easily.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I agree that a set should flow and its good to sequence tunes which have some coherant link between them, but also I think that sometimes you can bring out something unnoticed in a tune by placing it between other tunes that it normally wouldn't be placed alongside... i.e. when Ben UFO/Bok Bok went b2b on Sub FM ages ago, there was a bit where Ben played a deepish dubstep tune right next to some rowdy funky/bassline or something and it made the dubstep tune seem somehow 'fresher' than it would have been in a whole set of dubstep.

Yes that's a good point. I think there's an argument that can be made, though, that says that those type of sharp changes work best through being the exception rather than the rule. Part of what gives it impact is how it plays against the listeners' expectation of what will be coming next, if it works to full potential it should jolt you to attention and make you think 'wow, didn't expect that'.

Edit: though of course the other side to it is that even though usually you wouldn't expect tune a and tune b to go next to each other, if it's done well you should be able to see unexpected points of contact between them as you keep listening. So it's a somewhat different approach from the whole Diplo-style thing of mixing together tunes that genuinely don't go together, where the effect is more along the lines of 'ooh, look how shocking and rule-breaking I am for doing this' and it's almost a comedy thing.

Last edited:

Elijah

Butterz
Of course eclecticism can go tits up very easily.

Can you think of any examples of this?

Maybe eclectic is the wrong word. As all this stuff people are drawing for is not that different really. Different strands of the same thing at the end of the day most of the time.

mms

sometimes
Can you think of any examples of this?

Maybe eclectic is the wrong word. As all this stuff people are drawing for is not that different really. Different strands of the same thing at the end of the day most of the time.

alot of what someone like diplo or those kinda ninja tune djs do really fucks me off, kinda unnnecessary mixing of things for novelty effect, and trying to show off how good yr mixing is and how you got a bunch of records, like smiths into kwaito or something, not good.

gumdrops

its all a part of the same family but its easy to try and match up the not so compatible parts of that family. yeah, it all came from garage, but back then, it was all diff but STILL garage, now everything has progressed into its own little niche, so its inevitable its not all going to fit perfectly. you have be smart with what youre choosing.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
U got Rinse 01? Aint gona get much better then that for drawing from all angles.

:eek: x 10, I'm afraid I don't, but will away and order a copy as soon as I've got money in the bank tomorrow.
Having a read over your blog post that you did when you posted up the Rinse grime debate - even though I suspect that we are somewhat on opposite sides of the debate, what I really like about your outlook is the positivity and can-do, getting-on-with-work attitude of it.
Interesting also that you say that you're first and foremost about the beats, most of the people that I've heard from in the past who've been concerned about grime combining from other genres have been more coming from the angle of not wanting the MCs to get marginalised or their content to get watered down. But I think your interest in instrumentals first partly explains why there is such good quality-control on your show, each tune works musically as well as lyrically.
Apologies for missing the show last night, was geared up in my head for another Thursday appearence. On the download now though.

I think the key on these 'eclectic' (please somebody come up with a better term) sets is the dj's concept of how the set should progress. I personally don't feel too enthusiastic with the idea of splitting a set in different blocks and jump to the next genre once you're done with that block, it kinda disrupts the flow of a set for me. With Oneman's or Brackles' sets I wouldn't call it a zig-zag, as I feel the reason of why they work so well is not only their impecable mixing as much as their careful selection and the awareness of what record should come next, regardless of what genre it fits in.

Also, what I like about them is that they're not too worried about pushing things forward or playing classics, but to play records that fit a certain mood.

Elijah

Butterz
:eek: x 10, I'm afraid I don't, but will away and order a copy as soon as I've got money in the bank tomorrow.
Having a read over your blog post that you did when you posted up the Rinse grime debate - even though I suspect that we are somewhat on opposite sides of the debate, what I really like about your outlook is the positivity and can-do, getting-on-with-work attitude of it.
Interesting also that you say that you're first and foremost about the beats, most of the people that I've heard from in the past who've been concerned about grime combining from other genres have been more coming from the angle of not wanting the MCs to get marginalised or their content to get watered down. But I think your interest in instrumentals first partly explains why there is such good quality-control on your show, each tune works musically as well as lyrically.
Apologies for missing the show last night, was geared up in my head for another Thursday appearance. On the download now though.

A lot of them where saying Grimes dead, the MCs fault, the promoters fault blah blah blah blah. My approach is make it work for you init.

Beats always have to come first, just what keeps it Grime and not hip hop or these other zones that Grime MCs have gone down - Scorcher - I know for example :slanted:

Cheers for supporting the show its much appreciated. Them times there nobody wants to be awake.

alex

Do not read this.
@ David M, there are too many DJ's that I hear nowdays that wont play something when it comes off dubplate, which is actually pathetic...if its a good tune & you think it fits, play it, dont not because its not exclusive anymore...

faustus

I think the key on these 'eclectic' (please somebody come up with a better term) sets is the dj's concept of how the set should progress. I personally don't feel too enthusiastic with the idea of splitting a set in different blocks and jump to the next genre once you're done with that block, it kinda disrupts the flow of a set for me. With Oneman's or Brackles' sets I wouldn't call it a zig-zag, as I feel the reason of why they work so well is not only their impecable mixing as much as their careful selection and the awareness of what record should come next, regardless of what genre it fits in..

i agree

continuum

smugpolice
I think the key on these 'eclectic' (please somebody come up with a better term) sets is the dj's concept of how the set should progress. I personally don't feel too enthusiastic with the idea of splitting a set in different blocks and jump to the next genre once you're done with that block, it kinda disrupts the flow of a set for me. With Oneman's or Brackles' sets I wouldn't call it a zig-zag, as I feel the reason of why they work so well is not only their impecable mixing as much as their careful selection and the awareness of what record should come next, regardless of what genre it fits in.

Also, what I like about them is that they're not too worried about pushing things forward or playing classics, but to play records that fit a certain mood.

I agree with this too

Elijah

Butterz
im on once a fortnight, normally, thursday 1-3, but sometimes on the Tuesday, when I def know what time im on, I drop it on the Grimeforum. Cheers for listening.

alex

Do not read this.
ez Elijah, have you done any old school grime sets (apologies for posting that request in here) as the only one I have is Spyro Vs Slim...thanks in advance

faustus

first couple of hours of footloose, wasnt blown away by anything but a nice listen. might do the second half later.

Footloose 1xtra 070609

Enrique Benitez ft Mia Mendez- Cooking
Urican- Broken Soul
Unknown- Afro 2.5
Brasstooth- Pleasure (Remix)
Brasstooth- Pleasure (DJ Footloose Remix)
Brasstooth- Celebrate Life (DJ Footloose Remix)
Apple- Chantes
Milkymanz- T-Shirt Skank
Aron Jervis ft Jay Dolphin- Swine Flu Skank
Fr3e- Tribal Skank (Scottie B & Agent X Remix)
Zest- Jump In The Middle skank
Gracious K- Migrane Skank
Nate James ft Agent X- Take Me Away
Black Russian- Soul Gypsy
McClean- Broken (Perempay ‘N’ Dee Remix)
Diamondl- Fly Away
David Guetta ft Kelly Rowland- When Love Takes Over (Donaeo Remix)
Meleka- Go (Crazy Cousinz Remix)
MSTRKRFT ft. John Legend- Heartbreaker (Major notes remix)
Fuzzy Logic ft Egypt- In The Morning
H Boggie ft T2- Better Off As Friends (Funky Mix)
El Rae & Terror Danjah- Save The Last Dance
Figures (Code Red)– Wave
Scottie B- Congonatty (Remix)
Kid Cudi- Day N Nite (Crazy Couzinz Mix)
Tadow- Butterfly Effect
Code Red- Diamonds 2009
Mz Bratt- Who Do You Think You Are (O.K Remix)
Teeq Flous ft Jaide Green & Guga DZL- Night Train
Madice- Resurrection Riddim
Kele Le Roc ft Diamond- My Love 2009
S-Tee Feat Tasha- Nothing To Me (D-Malice Malicious Mix).
Junior Rexx ft Rhalmia- Music Is High (Ron Carrolls Big Boy Vibestrumental mix)
El Torro- Dubwise
Geeneus- Crackish
Karisma- Darqness (True Remix) Hustle Music
Innercity- Good Life
Innercity- Big Fun

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CI7H1R6Q

gumdrops

is it just me or has the 'wow' factor of a lot of funky that say, marcus was playing earlier in the year gone down now?