Papercut

cut to the bone
you lot=dissensus as much as fact. when i mentioned a good night at yatess in stratford everyone put their head down and pretended not to notice. go to some different clubs. dont just listen to boring rinse fm show with djs older than i am.

I wound up living in Stratford for a week last year (long story) and went to a funky night in Yates. Stayed for about an hour cause there was something else on that i wanted to go to but it was the kind of Crazy Cousins (sp?) end of Funky and the crowd was really young, but yeah, good party.

More interestingly, across the road people were cooking bbqs in those steel drums that hobos use to warm their hands in various down some grim lane style portrayal of homelessness in Tv/movies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Probably one of the best Roska tunes I heard last year was his remix of Ghosts on Tape - Predator Mode.

I'm dling that set luka.

mms

sometimes
agreed rosca's output has been pretty weak, his tracks seem that bit underdeveloped, he did one great ep, but doesn't seem to be developing, the best thing i heard recently was that tongue riddim remix, but that was only cos it hinted at a development, it kinda had a nice junglist vibe to it but, it was like alot of his stuff a bit throwaway after a couple listens.

gumdrops

roskas stuff is too samey after a while. loved the first ep he did but even by the 2nd one i thought he wasnt as good (posted about it here i think). did like the tongue riddim though. and there was some remix one man played recently that i liked but i dont know the name of it (like loads of funky tracks tbh).

Simon78

there was some remix one man played recently that i liked but i dont know the name of it (like loads of funky tracks tbh).

Is it this one? Its the best remix he has done recently.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

gumdrops

yeah! i think thats it. thanks.

enjoying marcus and rankins reasons for always giving get low a wheel.
"geeneus will shit on you if you dont".

luka

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

lol, luka's been into funky for about 5 minutes and he's there trying to educate people!

Most of those lot you've just mentioned have tracks to buy off ukfunky.com too. Some good stuff there if you're prepared to trawl through a lot of crap. Like that Mercurial myrmidon (who has the worst name ever) has some good tracks and some awful ones. Very hit and miss.

Cheers for the links though matey, I'm gonna have a proper look at them tonight.

luka

ha! ive broken my hand so i cant work.... no money... trying to amuse myself.... i got better taste than any of you lot though

Tim F

The articles I've complained about have been XLR8R/Urb/Guardian not FACT I don't think
This may be splitting hairs Tim but I posted the Scratcha URB mini-mix (personally I think it's excellent) & interview upthread.
You may well have come across it elsewhere, but regardless the preamble name-checks Roska, Cooly G & Geeneus, whilst in the short piece itself Scratcha - in addition to being completely self-effacing about his position within Funky - also mentions Fingaprint & Supa D.
Now, URB is a US publication. My point being that to send for this appears, well, miserly, considering that to many of their readers this would presumably have been the first they would've seen of some of these names. You surely can't expect a piece on (for eg.) Devine Collective, who most people here haven't even caught onto yet!
Could be a case of taking a look out of the forest to see the trees? :)

Don't want to bore people by going over the same ground over and over again, but since my position on this appears to be difficult to understand...

I actually posted the same link on ILX's UK funky thread, noting that I thought Scratcha came across excellently - as he does on his Rinse Breakfast show, a really great guy who tries to promote a lot of different parts of the scene.

And of course his own stuff deserves attention - I thought "Hard House" was one of the best funky tracks of last year (shame it's not on the mini-mix).

What bugged me was the writer feeling it was necessary to say this:

"Overall, it’s been tough to gauge a concrete grasp of what’s artistically and creatively fruitful in the genre of UK Funky. However, certain DJs and producers are giving the genre a backbone along with the pop cheese. Producers like Roska (or Mentor Roska, as he’s affectionally referred to), Cooly G, and Geeneus have all been pivotal in the shake-up of UK Funky, providing intrigue, depth, and necessary weight to a genre dominated by percussion and diva vocals."

Quite oddly, the writer half-admits that (s)he is finding it difficult to follow funky, but then blithely commits to the argument that these four producers must be the people offering "backbone", "intrigue", "depth" and "necessary weight" to balance out what (s)he describes as "pop cheese".

Why would a writer who is probably rather aware of the superficiality of their familiarity with a scene still feel compelled to big up the artists they like at the expense of the genre at large?

The short answer is probably that XLR8R said so.

The longer answer is: Because this is how rock criticism and dance criticism is structured for the most part. We love our iconoclasts. We like the idea that the artists we check for are bold, brave, questing individuals who rebel against and transcend the (insert phrase to describe the irredeemable unadventurousness and lightweightness of their host scene - hey, "pop cheese" will do!) of their parent genre.

And we proceed to apply these structures of judgment even when we half-know we really have no idea what we're talking about.

Well, "we" do this.

This is something I'm fairly aware of in writing, and for all my kvetching here, for all the times I've been told I'm miserly or curmudgeonly, I think I'm pretty careful to write about given artists in a way that talks positively about their relationship to their genre, both in terms of points-of-similarity and points-of-difference.

Really any producer who is worth their salt and who amasses a decent number of ace tracks will not be able to be reduced to being merely an expression of genre - not legitimately anyway. So of course there's a role in criticism highlighting this, saying "look what Scratcha or Roska or Mad.One or Scotty D or Royal P or whoever does which is novel and distinct and exciting."

But I wish this was done in the context of a spirit of listening that thought "isn't this great that funky has so many talented and unique producers like this" rather than "what a relief that this iconoclastic producer is here to save us from having to listen to other funky..."

mos dan

fact music
was guessing it looks a bit like this danny

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38017&id=30447315816

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=38017&id=30447315816#/photo.php?pid=893888&id=30447315816

but you're right ive never been and never will. not my cup of tea.

lol yeah that was abt two years ago in camberwell, but sure, touche - a bit more art-school than it has been for the last year or two (this is partly why it was moved from camberwell). don't u live in australia? wouldn't that make it rather difficult to visit anyway?

Tim, the phrase

"Overall, it’s been tough to gauge a concrete grasp"

would have stopped me reading any further anyway. gauge a concrete grasp? sloppy writing/sloppy thinking. meanwhile, if i haven't said already, your ill blu post was one of the best things i've read on funky - keep it up and don't watch the hacks!

luka

by the way benny was touched that you took the piss... im nicer than you lot think i am
dont hate none of you
just a pisss taker
if you cant see that you deserve to be offended

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Okay so now from the last couple of pages here + the ILX thread that was mentioned a few times, I now a have a bunch of new funky mixes to work through. Good work everyone, will feedback in a while. Enjoying so far.
(ILX still gives me a headache, but it was worth the trip this time).

I do tend to agree btw that the core stuff has started to become neglected in favour of some of the fringe stuff (a lot of which I like, too, don't get me wrong). Hopefully L and T's little intervention will start to re-adress the balance, at least in this neck of the woods.

BareBones

wheezy
Can I note that whether or not these artists have released stuff on vinyl they've all (with the exception of Apple) been pretty prolific this year?

Sticky has actually released four separate riddims, D-Malice at least 4 or so big tracks. Lil Silva has had maybe about 10 different dubs in the past 12 months. Ill Blu have put out more life-changing productions in the last year than anyone in the world bar perhaps The-Dream and his production team. Hard House Banton seems to have about a zillion different tunes.

Tim, can you point me in the right direction to hear/buy these amazing tunes you're talking about here? I was actually just whinging upthread a little while ago that hhb hadn't seemed to have done anything for ages so i guess i'm a good case in point for what you were talking about. i've checked out all the remixes he's got up on ukfunky and juno, and aside from the riddim box one, i'm not really feeling them, they all sound a bit like sirens knock-offs.

this caliber guy is really good.
edit: some of this caliber guy's stuff is really good

Last edited: