luka

my new polite incarnation means im going to ignore mms trying to be clever even though he owns a range of pringle v-neck sweaters in shades such as lemon, salmon, and puce.

luka

i swear you should be listening to some mutant funk or something anyway....
perempay and dee.... these two get romford... they understand the pure romford vibe and deliver....

newham generals funky remix

the havoc show, listen to it if you dont mind wading thorugh a bag of shite... some good bits on there...i didnt listen to the whole thing...couldnt handle it

i ended up listening to this instead
http://vulive.co.uk/content/2010/01/31/wayne-pasha-22-jan-2010/
house heads...what kind of house is this? just listen to the first track or two... house house... i want to go out and dance to this...

Last edited:

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Hey Paul, I hadn't heard most of them either 'till about a week and a half ago. :D
A good portion of the tunes I listed - prob about half to two thirds - can be heard on these two sets:
&
http://vulive.co.uk/content/2009/12/03/weeksey-and-bandit-13-november-2009/
So they're as good a place to start as any.
I'm a sucker for big diva vocals if they hit me the right way. Not dissing the Hyperdub type stuff though, don't get it twisted, they're prob the label I bought the most tunes from last year.

Gave that first one a listen last night, some cracking dancefloor tunes on there. Isn't Screama a bassline producer or am I imagining that?

This thread is going proper mental by the way, had to go back about six pages to find a post from Monday

alex

Do not read this.
@TRU G at the moment me and my friend Ricky have been going back to back and he plays a lot of the 'main room matter' type stuff, whilst I play stuff more off the jackin/deep cusp of tech house. Got to admit though, although it is a bit 'high rangey' from time to time, some of it is really well produced as you mentioned and, given the right drugs are in effect, can really make me move!! I guess I got some examples of it from the other night on my youtube.

To be honest, after listening to more & more of this stuff and taking a quick glance over some of Marcus Nasty's sets that have been on soundcloud, I cant believe how much that bassline influence has resided in Funky. Fair enough the 1st few "dark night" releases were a bit bassline orientated but these bassline (genre) influenced tracks, really are not my bag. Any shred of my initial interest and excitment in this genre has gone now, dont know why :-(

Anyway guys you should jump on Hard House Banton's "Peek'n'Duck", massive tune available on this DJ Antman mix "House or Nowhere":

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmcond

Based on my limited knowledge this is his most headwreckingly percussive, monolithic effort since "Reign".

Mix is pretty good overall.
Yeah that's his biggest tune for me. At one point last year he assured that it was gonna be his next release but I guess he forgot about that already :) at least he's putting out Colonel which is another one of those pad-heavy tunes with that distinctive percussive style, from around the same time than peek'n'duck, vegas trip, dancing, and all those.

Dubplate Wonder just put up a few tunes to purchase on digital, 3-4 quid each. There's a few big ones and one with Ava B which i don't think it's the same that the one mentioned upthread, but it's still a very good one ->> http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=155080471&blogId=494200106

My favorite producer right now has to be Mos Wanted Mega, he's got a a heap of big new tunes on the vein of Diffrent Lextrix and Frozen that are doing a lot for me! I have his permission to make a promo mix with all them, which I think I'll get round to in the next few weeks, it'd be a shame he got overlooked because of a lack of promotion!

alex

Do not read this.
yea see mos wanted mega sent me a track via soundcloud, but when I click on there is tays page doesnt exist, shame really cause I was intrigued.

Tim F

Dave once you do that promo mix I'll do a profile of Mos' Wanted based on it - I love both "Different Lekstrix" and "Frozen".

Re the bassline influence in UK Funky - well obv not just Screama but also Naughty Raver and Bass Boy are from bassline, and even T2, DJ Q and TS7 have been making a few funky tunes.

But apart from "Funky Gangsta" I don't think that any of the above producers are actually bringing bassline sounds or approaches with them.

Definitely bass has gotten heavier in funky over the past 12 months, but this seems more attributable to the influence of internal tunes like "Sirens" and "Different" than the influence of bassline per se.

mms

sometimes
my new polite incarnation means im going to ignore mms trying to be clever even though he owns a range of pringle v-neck sweaters in shades such as lemon, salmon, and puce.

thats just strange,
i do agree with alot of what you and tim are saying, also something like deadboy seems to be part of the revisit of garage that's going on in dubstep rather than related to funky, revisit of garage seems a bit pointless to me. i don't think there that hyperdub / night slugs / hessle have much to do with each other sound wise, personell, aesthetic aims and tastes etc, and i don't think there is something going on that funky needs to be saved from, which was suggested upthread, funky does what it wants. I do think suggesting that being signed to one of these labels immediately suggests auteurism else why would 12"s and mp3s be available for djs and why would these auteurs then dj?
The constant need to create an ideology that always has a target which means ignoring the facts, in order to fulfill this ideology is a massive wind up.
Weirdly dj mag have a new column thing called global beats or something like that which is where all the stuff thats somewhere between click house, funky dubstep and 2 step seems to go, sinden does the column, it seems an appropriate title.

Last edited:

tom lea

swear down?, I want that lestrixx tune BAD!
its coming out on numbers w/ a remix by l-vis.

Tim i think you can tell some of those guys are coming from bassline: look at how plastic emvee's bass is when it drops for example, you really have to push it on a mixer to make it have impact, unlike say sirens which is a lot more grounded. the cheap bassline strings too. not saying that in a bad way mind you, i really like emvee's stuff.

luka

thats just strange,
it made me laugh though.

dunno where you get the idea i think funky needs saving from anything. i think the dissensus funky thread needed saving though.

Tim F

Not sure I know of Emvee's (I assume) pre-funky bassline material? I LOVE "Love Charm" though, so ominously sickly sweet.

i don't think there that hyperdub / night slugs / hessle have much to do with each other sound wise, personell, aesthetic aims and tastes etc

I do agree with this mms - my only claim for commonality amongst them is their status as liminal w/r/t funky. But (and this surprises me in some ways!) the people I know IRL who are into one are into all three.

(I'm into 95% of Hessle, 60% of Hyperdub and about 40% of Night Slugs stuff I've heard)

Tim F

Tom do you think Emvee sounds substantially more bassline-ish than, say, Funkystepz (who incidentally have done the other properly bassline-funky fusion track with "Touch On Me" - but that's not even what I'm thinking)? I agree that there's often a warm deepness to funky that bassline excised a long time ago, but those shrill plasticky qualities seem to be quite a common fixture too.

Although maybe Funkystepz have some secret bassline lineage or affiliation I'm unaware of.

mms

sometimes
it made me laugh though.

dunno where you get the idea i think funky needs saving from anything. i think the dissensus funky thread needed saving though.

tim said it upthread - i tihnk it was half joking but there you are so was i.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Not sure I know of Emvee's (I assume) pre-funky bassline material? I LOVE "Love Charm" though, so ominously sickly sweet.

I do agree with this mms - my only claim for commonality amongst them is their status as liminal w/r/t funky. But (and this surprises me in some ways!) the people I know IRL who are into one are into all three.

(I'm into 95% of Hessle, 60% of Hyperdub and about 40% of Night Slugs stuff I've heard)

but funky's a composite genre in a state of flux anyway, which is the most interesting part of it, any british producers are always just mutators, i've never heard two funky djs playing the same tracks which is a credit to it, so to try and put a claim in for whats really funky and whats not really funky seems to be missing alot.

Tim F

I said "I feel protective toward UK Funky" => "I get annoyed when I see people talking shit about it."

The scene itself obviously couldn't give two shits what the more clueless journalists and people on message boards (I'm not meaning dissensus incidentally - check out the drowned in sound page on funky though!) have to say about it.

Tim F

[q]but funky's a composite genre in a state of flux anyway, which is the most interesting part of it, any british producers are always just mutators, i've never heard two funky djs playing the same tracks which is a credit to it[/q]

Really? You're saying you wouldn't be able to say which tunes are currently anthems on the scene? That seems very different to my experience. I feel like, sure, there are differences in what DJs play, but there's also a fair amount of consensus as well.

Tim F

e.g. everyone seems to be playing Perempay's "Kick Start", DJ Naughty's "5th Gear" and Crazy Cousinz's "Searching For You" at the moment.