Dart's Top 50 G.O.A.T. Emcees List (As Of February 2008)

luka

i acutally much rather see a most skilled mcs of all time list. with people like pharoahe monch deep in the top 10. that's more intersting to me.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This isn't a list of the most skilled emcees of all times or he'd have been MUCH higher on the list. It's the GREATEST of all times.

Biggie Smalls was underground back in 1991-1993 and he exploded on the scene on the "Who's The Man" OST, Heavy D's "Blue Funk", and the remix to Super Cat's "Dolly My Baby". He was above ground and moving units from then on while still remaining underground simultaneously. Biggie's influence and impact on the game was huge despite the fact that I actually preferred Big L's material most of the time.

One.

So Greatest = Most Influential? Fair enough then.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Sorta kinda...

So why is Pac down at 50? Much as I hate most of his music, for influence alone he's top 10, easy.

The "influence" part has to do with Hip Hop. There's this odd phenomena involving 2Pac where people that are Pac fans are obsessed with JUST HIM for some odd reason. Many Pac fans will only listen to Pac and buy all of his posthumous releases regardless of how crap they are. When rappers that are heavily influenced by 2Pac rap, they do it EXACTLY LIKE HIM! Many of them also aren't even aware of or don't own his first couple of albums "2Pacalypse Now" or "Strictly For My N.I.G.G.A.Z" for some odd reason.

Oh yeah, I also cut off Pac's albums at "Makaveli-Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory" and shut everything after that off. His influence pushed him into the Top 50 alone and kept out cats like Big Boi of OutKast, Wise Intelligent of Poor Righteous Teachers and Jean Grae.

One.

STN

sou'wester
How long did the list take? And why are Black Moon below PRT (genuine questions, not rhetorical)?

Edit: Oh balls, wrong thread...

Last edited:

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Well...

How long did the list take? And why are Black Moon below PRT (genuine questions, not rhetorical)?

Without Poor Righteous Teachers ever coming out, there would NEVER have been a Black Moon. PRT was one of the first crews to infuse Reggae with 5% lessons and they often produced their own material (along with Tony D.). They also made some of the best albums of any Hip Hop era ("Holy Intellect", "Pure Poverty", "Black Business" and "New World Order") during their run. PRT's influence was heavy on many up and coming crews, one being Black Moon and also Smif N' Wessun and Heltah Skeltah.

Black Moon also broke up and got back together a few times after S Ft. went to jail and they broke away from Nervous Records. Had The Beatminerz and Duck Down never had a falling out and Black Moon recorded their albums without the long pause they could've been higher up. PRT dominated their era (which was slighty more competitive) and the were a direct influence on Black Moon so there's your answer.

One.