TOP 5 electronic pieces of all time ????

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
so, to represent the history of electronic music on earth since 1911 or whenever, you choose 5 minimal techno tracks from Germany, all made after 1990?

well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it, yes. obviously my choices are gonna be influenced somewhat by personal attachments.

i will admit some fault in not including Wendy Carlos' 'Beauty in the Beast' though.

Apart from that I think my list is as representative as any of human ability to beautifully manipulate electronics, regardless of how narrow a time and/or function scope I've used.

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
original poster please change phrasing of poll to: "electronic music straight considers 'fun to listen to'".

i was asking for that. i meant that the early 20th century academic stuff produced a lot more interesting ideas than what tends to be manifested in the finished products. I came to the music of cage, xenakis etc through reading books about them and was quite underwhelmed by the music considering how radical i imagined them to be on paper. I've never felt engaged enough by them to class them as anywhere near my top 5.

On a gristly theme I cant get enough of 'songs of love and lust' at the minute. Cant decide between the wonky beauty of 'Lament', the flat out euphoria of 'walking through heaven' or proto rave sickness of 'gardens of the pure' as my favourite.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
the tune Im humming right now isn't electronic. you might know it, it goes

BE BOO BE BON BON BE BOOP BOOP DE DUM
1343948842smq3.gif

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm, a few choices from me, then:

Acid Horse, No Name No Slogan - an absolutely stomping house tune (I don't normally like house, but this is really great, old house) that resulted from a one-off collaboration between Ministry and Cabaret Voltaire in '89 or '90, with wonderfully detached vocals from Stephen Mallinder and a great guitar solo on the outro. Bet this is on the only track mentioned on here with a guitar solo (let alone a great one :)).

Stakker, Eurotechno - OK, so it's divided into 21 'segments', but they're all far too short to include as individual pieces. The holy grail of acid weebly-wurbliness.

Autechre, Lowride - penultimate track on Incunabula. This tune always puts me in mind of vertiginous cosmic vistas filled with bizarre non-Euclidean geometry far beyond the ken of mortals (&c. &c. &c.). If you know what I mean.

Ron Grainer/Delia Derbyshire - Doctor Who Theme - can't not include this, if we're doing 'Lovecraft-tronica'. :D

The White Noise - The Visitations/The Black Mass - more Radiophonic Workshop gorgeousness/horror. The whole second side of their Electric Storm LP. Awesome stuff.

Also really, really like Aphex Twin's We Have Arrived remixes, most of the first Prodigy album, the whole of FSOL's Dead Cities, Front 242's Work 242 mixes and Welcome To Paradise, Portion Control's Theme From Onion Jack, looaads of Kraftwerk, but especially Trans-Europe Express/Metal On Metal and Neon Lights, gotta include Blue Monday I suppose, and so on and so on and so on...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
the fact that no one has mentioned sleng teng within three pages of posts means that you are all mental and that i am far too good for this place

Last edited: