Nandos [split from disssensus drinks thread]

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A mate of mine was telling me about this time he saw a Nando's employee in a full-on chicken suit - not a waiter, just someone handing out promo vouchers or something - who was walking around the restaurant, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the costume's tail was sweeping drinks, food and cutlery off tables and onto the floor (and probably onto customers too) every time they turned around. I'd be tempted to risk it just to see this happen to other people, I think.

comelately

Wild Horses
Nandos is better than Pizza Hut and better than a lot of pub food but I think it says a lot about the quality of food in this country that people big it up not entirely ironically.

I'd rather just go all the way to the bottom and get a fat bucket of fried chicken.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I would hate for the fragrance of three bus routes to be obliterated by the smell of non-Fresh-and-Wild produce.

What don't think you understand, STN, is that this will lead directly to hooded youths de-beaking diseased chickens near the kids playground in clissold park!

You might think this is acceptable, but let me assure you that Jeremy Ratter (aka Penny Rimbaud) and myself will not take this lie-ing down!

It disgusts me that a building which has played host to such a vibrant and creative activity (not that I actually ever went, you understand) will now become a second home for slack-jawed fatsoes from the lower orders.

STN

sou'wester
Penny Rimbaud can get on his (wooden) bike, son!

I'm not one of these Julie Burchill, 'well actuwawwy I WIKE McDonalds and instant coffee, so there' types and I'd like to see less rather than more chains in N16 but I find the fact that people tolerate Fresh and Wild which is so CLEARLY just another corporation a bit baffling. Again Oddbins; sells wine so is seen as fine. I will visit the Nandos. I wouldn't visit a Starbucks because I think people should drink tea.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What don't think you understand, STN, is that this will lead directly to hooded youths de-beaking diseased chickens near the kids playground in clissold park!

You might think this is acceptable, but let me assure you that Jeremy Ratter (aka Penny Rimbaud) and myself will not take this lie-ing down!

It disgusts me that a building which has played host to such a vibrant and creative activity (not that I actually ever went, you understand) will now become a second home for slack-jawed fatsoes from the lower orders.

image%7B0%7D_thumb%5B6%5D_1.png

john eden

male pale and stale

I'm not one of these Julie Burchill, 'well actuwawwy I WIKE McDonalds and instant coffee, so there' types and I'd like to see less rather than more chains in N16 but I find the fact that people tolerate Fresh and Wild which is so CLEARLY just another corporation a bit baffling. Again Oddbins; sells wine so is seen as fine. I will visit the Nandos. I wouldn't visit a Starbucks because I think people should drink tea.

Exactly - nobody has protested about the Halfords opening on the high street either, but Tescos is another matter.

The choices which are made about which chains to get huffy about seem riddled with the sort of snobbery Stelfox was talking about in the first post here.

Even the choices made to protest about nandos and tescos are different from the reasons I object to them. I used to work for Tescos and they treated their staff like shit then and things have got worse since then. Workers in fast food places are in the same boat.

This never gets mentioned amongst the tirades about how non-organic and stinky it all is, because the protestors are more concerned about litter and retaining the hegemony of INDEPENDENT (and expensive) businesses than how people on low wages are treated at work.

STN

sou'wester
I guess there is cruelty to chickwens involved which makes it worse than oddbins or halfords but F+W sells that Ecover stuff which shares its parent company with Group 4;
I hate the way people see themselves as discerning over stuff like this while just swallowing it, never stopping to think 'well maybe just having a dolphin on the logo doesn't make you a bunch of lovable hippies instantaneously'.

Anyway, I do all my shopping at Luks. 6-for-a-fiver jiver that I am.

bassnation

the abyss

yeah julie fucking burchill. shes trying too hard, shes not working class. the comment that really got up my nose was where she was rinsing her working class credentials because one of her friends "is a checkout assistant from tescos". if she needs to point that out shes obviously very distant from that strata of society. just utterly patronising and wrong.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yeah julie fucking burchill. shes trying too hard, shes not working class. the comment that really got up my nose was where she was rinsing her working class credentials because one of her friends "is a checkout assistant from tescos". if she needs to point that out shes obviously very distant from that strata of society. just utterly patronising and wrong.

That woman gets on my tits like few other people alive. She has this idea of herself as a deeply radical chav lesbian Jew-lover fag-hag to compensate for the fact that she's English, white, straight, middle class, middle aged and actually just a desperately boring, opinionated tosser. However a friend of mine likes her for this very reason, on the basis that she's "a sort of real-life version of a forum troll", which I think is quite an apt description.

Last edited:

martin

----
Never been to one, I don't like places with Latin music. I went to that cocktail place in Angel years ago and it was really crap, they got arsey because I fell off my chair.

Pestario

tell your friends
Nandos is better than Pizza Hut and better than a lot of pub food but I think it says a lot about the quality of food in this country that people big it up not entirely without irony.

It's just nice chicken at a moderate price - why not big it up.

crackerjack

That woman gets on my tits like few other people alive. She has this idea of herself as a deeply radical chav lesbian Jew-lover fag-hag to compensate for the fact that she's English, white, straight, middle class....

But her dad worked in a factory an' everything:confused:

People like her cos, despite her flagrant posturing, she is to op-ed writing what Tommy Cooper was to magic - a good comedian.