Jay-Z is killing off Glastonbury festival

gumdrops

ill concede snoop and eminem, but kanye? come on... he has more than enough hits to justify top billing. more than jay-z has ever had over here (and personally, i dont know if id include crazy in love or umbrella as 'jay-z hits' - theyd still have been as popular without jay's verses on them, maybe more so). and his media profile is much much bigger on a mainstream pop level than jay-z's is too.

Last edited:

crackerjack

who else is as recognisable as jay-z in the uk? no one. who else is versatile enough to have taken on that crowd?

Kanye, without a shadow of a doubt. Different event I know, but he was incredible at last year's DiFest.

crackerjack

snoop and kanye - hmm, maybe, i'm not sure either of them would have enough hits that would be known by a british crowd though...

Kanye has had maybe 6 UK top 20 hits. His albums have all gone platinum in the UK, something none of Jay-Z's have done.

I was having this conversation with a mate when Jigga was first announced. this guy is no hip hop fan, but he knows his dance and he knows his clubs and he knows the charts. he told me could only name 2 Jay Z songs - 99 Problems and Hard Knock Life.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
It might be G'bury but even then it's going to depend on who wants to do it and who they can afford as well.

gumdrops

at the end of the day though, noel and his ilk won, cos eavis has said he wont be putting a rapper in the same slot again. so i suppose its back to business for glasto. im glad they put jay-z on though, just for all the debates it sparked.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"at the end of the day though, noel and his ilk won, cos eavis has said he wont be putting a rapper in the same slot again. so i suppose its back to business for glasto. im glad they put jay-z on though, just for all the debates it sparked."
Thing is, Eavis is obviously blaming the slower ticket sales and the resultant worries about the financing on the fact that he booked a hip-hop-headliner but for all he knows it might be more about festival fatigue, photos of people drowing in mud and the credit crunch. I wouldn't bank on sales bouncing back up again next year even with a safer headliner. Be interesting to see though either way.

crackerjack

Thing is, Eavis is obviously blaming the slower ticket sales and the resultant worries about the financing on the fact that he booked a hip-hop-headliner but for all he knows it might be more about festival fatigue, photos of people drowing in mud and the credit crunch. I wouldn't bank on sales bouncing back up again next year even with a safer headliner. Be interesting to see though either way.

Supposedly he's already been in touch with Coldplay and Radiohead - expect loads of 'glastonbury comes home' headlines this time next year. Hope they all drown :p

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Not to mention that there are now festivals happening almost every weekend up and down the country. There seems to have been a real explosion in them over the last couple odf years.

mos dan

fact music
Kanye has had maybe 6 UK top 20 hits. His albums have all gone platinum in the UK, something none of Jay-Z's have done.

okay sure, i don't care really. i think maybe there's a distinction to be made there though insofar as kanye is more of a supra-genre black pop star, and jay-z is, quite specifically, the world's biggest rapper. it seems less likely to me that gallagher would have had his little outburst if it had been kanye.

i guess i just ignore kanye as a person/artist cos i'm not very interested in him - i lost interest after college dropout.. should i investigate his recent albums?

as an aside, i don't know how your mate can 'know his clubs' and not know big pimpin, for example. educate the guy, for his own sake! ;)

mos dan

fact music
Not to mention that there are now festivals happening almost every weekend up and down the country. There seems to have been a real explosion in them over the last couple odf years.

oh absolutely, there are at least 99 reasons (ahem) why ticket sales were slow, none of them attributable to jigga.

Jaie Miller

god,

i personally enjoyed the show. I kinda think, if Jay can't do it....

Just watching back on youtube and there was a part when he spat over some bass, and really, i was being silly then. And to do conscious acapella's too. yeah, i liked it. I thought he was going to get booed. I do think on more than one occasion he answered the remarks from noel. There are too many of his lyrics to mention that do this. He's used to the controversy. People hating etc.

I just don't see what more people would expect.

Ok two or three things i would have liked. A little more instrumental, because I thought the band was good. Beyonce to come down and, I don't know what she would have done, but it would have been good. Do we need to hear fuck bush??!! Didn't Jay-Z chow with the Queen?! Whatever, it's not my place to say.

crackerjack

Do we need to hear fuck bush??!!.

Oh God, no. I think all rappers should just issue one communique stating "george bush is fucked until further notice". it should be an opt-out opinion rather than opt-in, like carrying donor cards - any dissenting rappers who don't think "fuck george bush" can offer him their support on an individual basis.

mms

sometimes
well as dave said earlier - all it proves is that people especially the young people who go to glastonbury are not as backwards and close minded as thunderbird the elder.
I really don't think there is that kind of tribal divide along such extreme lines as before and any emo kids have had nu metal to warm them up first anyway etc.

the festival didn't sell that well because every week up and down the country there are niche festivals, that cost less, aren't as big and closer to home etc, the festival circuit is big and profitable if you get it right - although it's tricky too as a lot of festivals will fail this year as well.

Benny Bunter

There's been a 480% increase in Jay Z album sales since Glasto;

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sh...-Glastonbury-Says-HMV/Article/200807115022163

And how bizarre is this...

"Jay-Z's acoustic "tribute" performance of Wonderwall may have helped Oasis' What's The Story (Morning Glory) register an 18% pick-up in sales.

Meanwhile, the single Wonderwall is likely to re-enter the Official UK Singles top 200 this Sunday, HMV says."

!?!

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

And guess who's gonna be Number One...

I'm quite liking this at the moment. Its certainly better than anything on Maths and English anyway.

But back to the Jigga...been rinsing Dangermouse's 'Grey album' bootleg again recently. Stunning bit of mash-up genius that one. I've read there's a few other Black album bootlegs out there too. Anyone here heard any of them?

crackerjack

I'm quite liking this at the moment. Its certainly better than anything on Maths and English anyway.

But back to the Jigga...been rinsing Dangermouse's 'Grey album' bootleg again recently. Stunning bit of mash-up genius that one. I've read there's a few other Black album bootlegs out there too. Anyone here heard any of them?

There were loads at the time, but I never heard any. One mashed it with with Metallica's Black Album and I've a feeling 9th Wonder did one too, though I might be confusing it with the Nas one.