baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Stewart Lee is so much funnier than Bill Hicks, it's not even, er, funny. true, Stewart Lee could push a few buttons in people who dislike his persona, but that's hardly relevant, is it? At least he has jokes.... And saying that there're no good British comics is just silly, whatever your taste.

Edit: This is not to say I don't like Bill Hicks and what he has to say, as I do. But it's not funny, 'tis all.

Edit 2: Why do people think Sarah Silverman is funny?

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
Has Alan Moore been mentioned yet?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

luka

i remember lee and herring. that was the worst comedy programme i've ever watched, worse than that one that daivd baddiel started out in even. i loathe lee with every fibre of my being. not only do i not find him funny, he's an affront to my existence. the most student of all student comedians. not clever, not funny, smug, dopey, picks easy targets, no charisma, no way with words, worst comedian in a country full of godawaful standups
bill hicks is a performer. he belongs on stage.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You're not fond of him, are you?!

I'd agree that he could obviously come across as smug, and that some of the targets he picks are very easy. Then again, so are many of the targets, I dunno, Chris Rock picks (I like Chris Rock, for the record). Very few comedians are half as subversive as they think, and that definitely includes Bill Hicks.

But I don't think the other charges stick.

I agree that there are many terrible stand-ups in the UK, but I think the notion that America is any better (which I'm presuming is the subtext of what you're saying) is bizarre. Sure, I love Demetri Martin, Emo Phillips, Mitch Hedberg (RIP) etc, but pseudo-shocking stuff like Scott Capurro is as loathsome as the worst Jongleurs night. And there are dozens who never even make it to British consciousness, obviously.

"Bill hicks is a performer. he belongs on stage". Absolutely. He's just not a comedian. And, incidentally, he's one of the most popular ever comedians among students trying to prove how radical they are....

"I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your fuckin' mouth." This kind of stuff is idiotic teenage pseudo-rebellion. Looking like a fucking idiot stuck six feet under, aren't ya Bill? Sorry, but it's true - I don't see where hicks got a free pass to say stuff that other people have been rightly ridiculed for saying.

And - "Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." You can hear this type of stuff at Jongleurs or wherever every weekend.

Sorry, overlong rant over.

Last edited:

luka

which I'm presuming is the subtext of what you're saying

certainly not. the subtext is i don't like comedy and i hate stand-up/

its sordid/

i've never laughed at a standup as far as i can remember. i can think, oh, that was quite funny, but i would never laugh out loud.

luka

i mean of course hicks was corny, he liked rage against the machine for christs sake
but he was able to transcend that through the power of his personality. him and lee are operating on completely differnent levels, its not the same game.

nochexxx

harco pronting
hicks openly admits using 'dick jokes' in order to reel missing cattle back to the herd. the juvenile gags have their uses.

whether you find him funny is purely subjective, however i'm not sure LOL gags per minute is what defines a great comedian?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
certainly not. the subtext is i don't like comedy and i hate stand-up/

its sordid/

i've never laughed at a standup as far as i can remember. i can think, oh, that was quite funny, but i would never laugh out loud.

that puts it in a different context.

i guess we're agreeing that hicks isn't really a stand-up comedian, then.

90 per cent of stand-up is shoddy, sure. But I like it as a medium, and, well, when it's done artfully, it's great.

luka

stand up is like comic books. great potential, but rarely lived up to.
(although given taht i dont like jokes much, or at least the thought of someone standing on stage cravenly beggin for laughter, im not sure what i mean by this.)

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
whether you find him funny is purely subjective, however i'm not sure LOL gags per minute is what defines a great comedian?

True, it's subjective. Lots of people like Jimmy Carr.

I hesitate to agree with the idea that comedians don't have to have lots of funny lines/thoughts/sketches/gags (however they choose to present their humour).

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Exhibit A for Silverman's hilarity (fairly sure I'm posted this before in another thread, but w/e, it's relevant):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sorry, she's trying WAY too hard to be shocking (one of the things that personally gets my proverbial goat...)*

* I understand that the point of the Aristocrats is shock to a certain degree, but you can see her mentally straining - is this enough? To me it comes across as a bit of desperate need to ingratiate herself with an audience, just like the kid at school who says 'shocking' things to play the class clown.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
Yeah yeah yeah, comedy aside...

You! Guy who called Alan Moore a sacred cow? You're my new best friend.

lol I met Alan Moore not too long ago at comic book signing in his hometown Northampton (which is 20 mins drive from my home town). Incredible guy. Love his ideas on magic - got me into Aleister Crowley (which i'm guessing you're screen name also refers to!)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I rather hoped CrowleyHead's username was a reference to memorbaly excitable ex- 'The Beat' presenter Gary Crowley...