Brooker on 9/11 conspiracies

I feel a need to clarify my position (12 years later) I posted this thread as a very stoned 21yo living in america because I didn't like the sneery attitude of the article and I wanted people older and smarter to pick holes in it. I also wanted to hear you pick holes in the Official Story, the alt-story. The noel and vimothy clash delivered.

Strangely enough I can empathise with Brooker's reflection of himself in his twenties now, although I don't know if I ever believed-believed conspiracy theories, I entertained a few. But the tone still annoys me. Firstly, everything noel said about half-arsed debunking , mischaracterisation and elitism and also because I think it's important to see conspiratorial thinking as something we're all susceptible to that emerges under certain conditions. We all do it daily, but it can get chronic personally and politically.

I'm interested in the emotional needs being met or unmet in certain cases, because certain people close to me are heading 'down that route' and I try to put in an emotional context. It's about a lot more more than intelligence and critical thinking, isnt it. I tried to talk about it on another thread but luka he didn't want any of that round these parts.

luka

I don't like pat explanations. I don't appreciate the belittling superior attitude to people who take the conspiracy route. I don't think it is more pat, more stupid, more lazy, more easy than its opposite. That's the objection I had. I think Both sides are equally culpable.

luka

Pat this, pat that, 'escaping belfast', always having a go at droid. Don't think we don't see what you are

Anti Irish? It's in my blood. My ancestors were Scots that got sent to Northern Ireland. I'm a Nixon

luka

I'm from a long line of Protestant bigots. It's no secret. But I like droid very much. And I like you. It's been a long time. I'm over it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think assuming that the US government is the ultimate author of all worldly evils is the pattest explanation of all.

luka

I like you too. A lot of liking on dissensus these days. What happened?

These days we are more aware of the fragility of what we have and what we are built. The fact of liking you dickheads outweighs anything else for me now. I'm old and sentimental. You're my people despite the differences

luka

These days we are more aware of the fragility of what we have and what we are built. The fact of liking you dickheads outweighs anything else for me now. I'm old and sentimental. You're my people despite the differences

Not including mr tea

sufi

lala
expanding :D
i was responding to luka, but meaning that in the context of sectarianisms - antisemitism or generally, it's better to be able to examine yr own prejudices than to ignore or deny them.