Brooker on 9/11 conspiracies

luka

Sorry shiels btw I grew up a long way from the troubles. Apologies if it's offensive and in bad taste. But that's my family tree. My lot escaped to new zealand

expanding :D
i was responding to luka, but meaning that in the context of sectarianisms - antisemitism or generally, it's better to be able to examine yr own prejudices than to ignore or deny them.

Yes, this is one reason why twitter tone is so annoying, a lot of people who think they've arrived, and a lot who know the consequences of examining or acknowledging in public.

Sorry shiels btw I grew up a long way from the troubles. Apologies if it's offensive and in bad taste. But that's my family tree. My lot escaped to new zealand

haha not at all! By all means continue. The orange order are hilarious on many levels

luka

No, I mean I did grow up knowing I was Protestant. I knew my ancestors were throwing rocks at the battle of the boyne, but there was no injunction to hate. It was just a question of, this was your lot. You're one of them. I'm just bringing it up cos you spotted it. I wasn't told to be proud of it. Quite the opposite. But these faultlines exist and I'm on the the orange side.

luka

When I met droid in Dublin it was really cool for me cos I had a paranoid atavistic belief that they might identify me and put me in the wicker man but they managed to restrain themselves.

luka

Don't get me wrong I could see them twitching but they managed to repress it and I survived the ordeal

I didn't really spot it though did I? But yes for most that grew up there or had parents affected, it's there down deep. And as we're saying, it's much funnier and takes you to more interesting places when you accept that it's there

I have a thing around posh english people, chip on shoulder, hard to hold back on the insults after a drink, feel it's my right even

luka

That stuff is almost the engine of everything that Happens in this country. It's a weird place and we all resent each other. I'm massively chippy

luka

One of th things which I found interesting living in nz and aus is they don't have that. They're all "fair days work for a fair days pay mate"

luka

Whinging poms as a term comes from unionisation and class consciousness exported to countries where it held less historical weight

One of th things which I found interesting living in nz and aus is they don't have that. They're all "fair days work for a fair days pay mate"

but yet... when my mates were gardening (fucking gardeners!) in melbourne it was fine to advertise 'no irish' on gumtree

luka

but yet... when my mates were gardening (fucking gardeners!) in melbourne it was fine to advertise 'no irish' on gumtree

Really? What year was this! Could be the same dynamic. Don't bring old world class war over here

droid

When I met droid in Dublin it was really cool for me cos I had a paranoid atavistic belief that they might identify me and put me in the wicker man but they managed to restrain themselves.

Luka actually shrunk a little when I pointed out the bullet holes in the GPO, shrivelled like a tortoise. I could sense his primal fear then, but it engendered a pity which ultimately saved him.