Mercury sucks (2008 redux)

craner

Beast of Burden
I watched this last night. I hadn't seen any of these people before, though I had heard of a few of them. Bat for Lashes was so pretty it made my teeth ache. Nutrasweet binge.

craner

Beast of Burden
Actually, that's not true. I'd seen that avant-jazz band Leb Dib playing fro free outside Liverpool Street Station earlier in the year. I was quite surprised to see them on telly, nominated for something.

That girl who won was well woeful.

The only thing that was good was Bat for Lashes, and she wasn't even good, I just fancied her.

CrowleyHead

I just wish that each Mercury, one of the nominees who loses earns the right to be told off, Namely La Roux.

People are complaining about Zomby or Kanye, and really, I just want this girl to bite a brick and be silent. There's so much I just can't stand about her...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Isn't it all about the money?

You have to pay to enter, pay for a table etc. They make £360,000 from the event tables + entry fee alone - winner gets 20K and the kiss of death, serves them right I reckon ;)

don_quixote

Trent End
probably wont even get the album sales in the age of spotify. when, say, gomez (hoho) won it, they got a huge boost in sales. now... what happens?

CrowleyHead

franz ferdinand have sold more in the uk than pulp? that's fucking depressing

Yes, about 45 K. That's from having more members with 'boyish good looks'.

I mean, Jarvis is a handsome enough guy, but have you seen him lately? The man looks like a combination of Johnny Depp and a homeless man... Which, actually, isn't that far apart...

crackerjack

God, is it really 3 years since we last moaned about Mercury?

Anyway, having completely ignored that album when it came out I was forced to listen to it quite a lot recently. I think it's actually really good. *ducks*

But what a lukewarm pile of shite this year's noms were. Not that I listened to any of the others either other than LLH.

hucks

Your Message Here
God, is it really 3 years since we last moaned about Mercury?

Anyway, having completely ignored that album when it came out I was forced to listen to it quite a lot recently. I think it's actually really good. *ducks*

But what a lukewarm pile of shite this year's noms were. Not that I listened to any of the others either other than LLH.

I rather like it, too, except for the one that sounds like Mumford and Sons which is the one you hear all the time. It was the only one on the list I've really heard, so I think it was the best.

What else would one have had? Either realistically or not? I was surprised Rustie didn't get nominated - on a big indie, lots of coverage, was brilliant...

crackerjack

I rather like it, too, except for the one that sounds like Mumford and Sons which is the one you hear all the time. It was the only one on the list I've really heard, so I think it was the best.

What else would one have had? Either realistically or not? I was surprised Rustie didn't get nominated - on a big indie, lots of coverage, was brilliant...

Oh, I also heard Jessie W, which was just kinda sorta. Think the love that was getting from people whose opinions I respect shows what a poor year it was.

Actress was the gaping hole, for my money.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Oh, I also heard Jessie W, which was just kinda sorta. Think the love that was getting from people whose opinions I respect shows what a poor year it was.

Actress was the gaping hole, for my money.

Actress for sure. 2 Bears shoulda at least got a list as well.