Mercury sucks (2008 redux)

crackerjack

Little Boots should have been in it as well, not that I like her stuff but she should have been. That Glasvegas might win it beggars belief.

I like the Horrors. And I don't care.

Little Boots' album was just so average. She might've got in anyway if she hadn't already won that Sound of 2009 poll, but she's now been set up as the Fall Gal of the year.

Heard one track off BFL's first album that sounded like a goth Be My Baby. Man, was this new one a letdown.

Speech Deb is great, yes. completely different to anything else - it is (shudder) rap poetry, and you've gotta really live with it to get into it.

I think The Horrors might win (just by reviews/comments, not heard them myself), though I like the odds on Speech Debelle, so stuck a £20 on.

hucks

Your Message Here
I quite like Florence and the Machine, esp that one that has a big rave chorus (Rabbit Heart) with pianos and breakbeats. That's cool.

I really like Bulletproof by La Roux, too, but don't think I could do a whole album. Actaully, I haven't bought a UK album all year (barely buy albums any more) so I can't comment on the others. Maybe album of the year is a bit of a redundant concept?

crackerjack

I quite like Florence and the Machine, esp that one that has a big rave chorus (Rabbit Heart) with pianos and breakbeats. That's cool.

I really like Bulletproof by La Roux, too, but don't think I could do a whole album. Actaully, I haven't bought a UK album all year (barely buy albums any more) so I can't comment on the others. Maybe album of the year is a bit of a redundant concept?

The industry needs it and the media still operates in terms of Artists making Artistic Statements. I quite like the whole shebang myself, but then it's probably aimed at middle aged rockists.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Friendly Fires are British? God, that makes things even worse.

It's a bit of an anonymous list all round, isn't it?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That Bat for Lashes album is fairly crap to be honest. I bought it because I'd quite like her to be my girlfriend, I think.

This is the politest and most gentlemanly way to say "She's well fit" I think I have ever seen. Bravo. :)

martin

----
That Bat for Lashes album is fairly crap to be honest. I bought it because I'd quite like her to be my girlfriend, I think.

You do now - probably imagining wild gypsy sex in a wigwam, and how great it'd be to bring her down the pub so she could impress everyone with in-depth conversations on meteor showers, discordia and the musical merits of Reality Control...

But, in reality, I think she's wrong for you. She doesn't even know who David Cameron is, FFS

Don't get narky. I'm just saying this as a mate.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"You do now - probably imagining wild gypsy sex in a wigwam, and how great it'd be to bring her down the pub so she could impress everyone with in-depth conversations on meteor showers, discordia and the musical merits of Reality Control...
But, in reality, I think she's wrong for you. She doesn't even know who David Cameron is, FFS
Don't get narky. I'm just saying this as a mate".
My friend was shagging her, I've met her, I think Martin's right.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like The Horrors taste in music but all the tracks I heard from the first album were terrible - you expect record collection rock to reach a certain minimum standard so I don't know what went wrong really, think it was the guy's voice to a large extent. Then someone recommended me the first track from their second album, it's kind of a krautrock pastiche (the intro sounds a lot like Mother Sky) and it was a marked improvement. It's still pastiche though so... you know, there ought to be something better out there.

STN

sou'wester
Ah well, her loss I suppose (ha!). I was really just imagining we'd wear muslin and read Tom's Midnight Garden together.

I thought it was La Roux who didn't know who David Camerone was?

I used to go out with a girl who didn't know who Bruce Lee was, and it was well frustrating because when someone's never heard of someone, you can't convince how famous that person is, and subsequently what a plum they are for not having heard of them.

martin

----
I like The Horrors taste in music but all the tracks I heard from the first album were terrible

Yeah, I was well impressed that they'd covered Screaming Lord Sutch, but then I heard bits of them and got less and less interested. It's all very clean.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I used to go out with a girl who didn't know who Bruce Lee was, and it was well frustrating because when someone's never heard of someone, you can't convince how famous that person is, and subsequently what a plum they are for not having heard of them.

Where do you find these people? But maybe it's the way forward. Doesn't know who Bruce Lee/David Cameron is, probably won't notice most things/anything.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Then someone recommended me the first track from their second album, it's kind of a krautrock pastiche (the intro sounds a lot like Mother Sky) and it was a marked improvement. It's still pastiche though so... you know, there ought to be something better out there.

Yeah, but up against their NME peers at least they're not offensive, which the rest of their ilk are. I approve of kids listening to them, which I don't about, erm, The Maccabees.

CrowleyHead

The Horrors first single originally made me think they could be inspired by Jesus Lizard. First album... sucked immensely.

The whole Geoff Barrow thing however made me declare they could possibly be Klaxons only rivals in 'indie bands who might actually know what the fuck to do to'. Except the single just stank of Joy Division. Perhaps I should check the second album anyway though...

Still, out of ANY band of this year's shortlist. This would be the one that, WILL LOSE, but I wouldn't mind.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The Horrors first single originally made me think they could be inspired by Jesus Lizard. First album... sucked immensely.

The whole Geoff Barrow thing however made me declare they could possibly be Klaxons only rivals in 'indie bands who might actually know what the fuck to do to'. Except the single just stank of Joy Division. Perhaps I should check the second album anyway though...

Still, out of ANY band of this year's shortlist. This would be the one that, WILL LOSE, but I wouldn't mind.

I think the cool indie kids have a really hard time of it now - and you're right about them and the Klaxxons - I just don't think they're really given enough time to think about what they're doing. The grime kids make plenty of mistakes, but the inide kids are kinda never forgiven for them.

I don't know why I'm bothering to defend them but they kinda seem sincere I think. Even if it's just in their desire to be cool.

That Big Dada lady is rubbish sorry. What's with her accent? I mean please.