The most you ever spent on one record

What is the most you have ever spent on a record?

• Never spent a penny on a record

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 20 quid or less

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • 30 quid or less

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • 40 quid or less

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • 50 quid or less

• 75 quid or less

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • 100 quid or less

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 150 quid or less

• 200 quid or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 200 quid

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

john eden

male pale and stale
Time to 'fess up with an anonymous poll.

Individual records only - if you spent 600 quid on a job lot of every single tune ever released on Blue Note then that can go in another thread.

Prices in UK sterling, you do the math if it was another currency.

Original copy of "Please Please Me" by the Beatles broken in a house party = cost me a lot of money to stop my dad murdering me.

D

droid

About 30 quid on Rephlex 1 back when I was obsessed with the label and wanted completeness. Still cheap at that price though.

Ive got quite a few rare jungle/hardcore/electronic/reggae bits, but its a point of pride not to pay over the odds... its all about that bargain factor!

john eden

male pale and stale
Do dubplates count?

Nah - that's a different economy entirely to my mind.

30 quid is about tops for me I think. There are possibly tunes I would pay more than that for but as you say the bargain factor is important. Plus there are still so many things I can pick up for a fiver... ;)

bun-u

Trumpet Police
£18 on Can's Tago Mago when I was a student in Leeds in 1988. As a proportion of income and with inflation that's probably the equivalent of £500 now, so its strange that I never spent any more on a record

mos dan

fact music
*looks around shiftily*

my confession is not embarrassing because of the ££s, more the artist in question - it was an import-only japanese copy of the manics' 'motown junk' cd single, with 5 or 6 impossibly rare and exciting b-sides and a nice plush lyric booklet. that was like £23 or something. but does it count as 'a record'?

i don't regret it cos it was worth it at the time, in terms of the amount of pleasure i got out of it - this was before limewire/kazaa/etc, when in order to obtain a particular song, you had to buy a copy of it. crazy times.

i did lose the cd some time in the late 90s though. i survived. ;)

Benny Bunter

About £30 quid on that lovely deluxe vinyl edition of Sunn0)))/Boris' Altar album. Not sure i'd ever spend that much again though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Damn, I'm realising that my max for a single record is way more than anyone who has actually confessed. Although it looks as though there is an anonymous fool who has spent over two-hundred and fifty but won't own up to it.

m33k +i93r

TheUnridiculousBearMix
£26 on the Shackleton 7". Would have been £32 on Hyperdub's 'Spit' (for the same reason as droid's rephlex obsession) if the person selling over discogs hadn't conveniently not been able to find the record.

Anyone on here selling it???

nomos

Administrator
pretty sure it was £15 on kma's cape fear which i've seen go for 2-3 times as much. otherwise i've rarely paid as much as £10, though that's not including the shipping costs wildcard.

FOLLOW UP: how about the most you've sold a record for?

i cashed in some dubstep recently at about £30 a pop and felt like a bit of a bastard for it.

Last edited:
Damn, I'm realising that my max for a single record is way more than anyone who has actually confessed. Although it looks as though there is an anonymous fool who has spent over two-hundred and fifty but won't own up to it.

Already have!
Here is the current price on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130004137452
You can pick them up for less.

I paid £275 for a copy two days before he got back from America 7 years ago and he still doesn't know. Had to be done, how do you admit you've broken the most valuable thing in the house that he's had since he was 5?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Already have!
Here is the current price on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=130004137452
You can pick them up for less.

I paid £275 for a copy two days before he got back from America 7 years ago and he still doesn't know. Had to be done, how do you admit you've broken the most valuable thing in the house that he's had since he was 5?"
Sorry, wasn't paying attention, should have guessed. Still, think I would have done the same in the circumstances, or else just put it back and denied all knowledge.

john eden

male pale and stale
I once sold a Current 93 record for £100 I think as it was supposedly limited to 93 copies.

(Which was bollocks because I was working in the Rough trade warehouse about a year after it came out and they had about 50 left. I think I neglected to mention that when I was selling it though).

Rich - do you mean £2.50 or £250 upthread?

mos dan

fact music
I paid £275 for a copy two days before he got back from America 7 years ago and he still doesn't know. Had to be done, how do you admit you've broken the most valuable thing in the house that he's had since he was 5?

wow what a painful story. clearly you did the right thing. it's better he doesn't know n all.

yeah rich you're confusing me now too - £2.50 or £250?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Rich - do you mean £2.50 or £250 upthread?"
I was just pointing out in a round about way that the way the higher categories included all the lower categories so that £2.50 could fit in any of the categories except for the top one. The two-hundred and fifty was in reference to the fact that someone was in the top category according to the poll. Sorry for confusion.
In actuality I think the most I've spent on a record is either sixty or eighty quid, probably on some totally overpriced library thing that I didn't really need. I've spent forty or more on loads of things though I think.

luca

£25 for maceo parker - cross the tracks

but sold

Derrick Dimitri - Get it on tonight for £55 on ebay

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
It's creeping slowly up for me as I get back into buying records. Factoring in postage, £38 on a copy of Amon Duul II's "Yeti". Impulse eBay bid when in a bad mood, and was not expecting to "win" it. Probably be twice that in a years time if things carry on as they have been.