Mgmt

nochexxx

harco pronting
the early suicide rehearsal tapes captured during their time at the museum for living artists is one of my all time fav’s. it’s up there with james brown’s live at the Apollo imo.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
What an ugly derailment that was. It is threads like this that make me sick of listening to music for weeks. Especially when it started on such a good note: Dissensians saying they don't mind a bit of MGMT. You don't often see that on here.

martin

----
Personally, I think both the first Suicide LPs are incredible - I couldn't give a toss who else likes them, or 'for what reason', but they're both gloriously dark in their own ways. The first one's more blatantly in your face, the second's like some Vegas snake oil merchant preening you and getting under your skin, and then exposing the trash. Haven't heard anything after these two tho. Prefer the first one, but then I heard it before I ever went on the internet.

Regarding 'scenes', I'd argue the current 'international Oi! scene' is more elitist and redundant than Italo Disco. I think Mgmt are shit and boring, the Black Devil reissue was OK but overrated, but stuff like Gay Cat Park, Naif Orchestra, Charlie, Mike Mareen, Mr Master, Casco and Gekko are timeless. I'd love to go to some Italo Disco events in London, to be honest. I went to an 80s Groove one a few months ago and it was tops.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Fuck all the bands mentioned on this thread so far, you all need to skip 3:00 into this vid to hear some truly mindblowing shit:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Personally, I think both the first Suicide LPs are incredible - I couldn't give a toss who else likes them, or 'for what reason', but they're both gloriously dark in their own ways. The first one's more blatantly in your face, the second's like some Vegas snake oil merchant preening you and getting under your skin, and then exposing the trash. Haven't heard anything after these two tho. Prefer the first one, but then I heard it before I ever went on the internet.

Regarding 'scenes', I'd argue the current 'international Oi! scene' is more elitist and redundant than Italo Disco. I think Mgmt are shit and boring, the Black Devil reissue was OK but overrated, but stuff like Gay Cat Park, Naif Orchestra, Charlie, Mike Mareen, Mr Master, Casco and Gekko are timeless. I'd love to go to some Italo Disco events in London, to be honest. I went to an 80s Groove one a few months ago and it was tops.

Is this Charlie you speak of the one who did "Spacerwoman"? That song is pretty great, I'd like to hear remixes of that if they exist.

nomadthethird

What an ugly derailment that was. It is threads like this that make me sick of listening to music for weeks. Especially when it started on such a good note: Dissensians saying they don't mind a bit of MGMT. You don't often see that on here.

Yeah, hard to imagine that people on Dissensus are going to bug out if you make fun of scenes. ;)

The funny part is that everyone here knows I've lived in Bushwick, Brooklyn--ground zero for American bullshit hipster scenesterism-- for the past 5 years. I wasn't trying to accuse anyone of anything that I hadn't had the displeasure of aiding and abetting myself on many occasions. I'm over that shit because I'm really, truly over it, not because I'm trying to deny people their fun.

I'm at a point where if I want to like an MGMT song because it sounds good, I don't care if that's not "cool"...not in the slightest...maybe there was a day when I would have, but that day is done.

nomadthethird

Fuck all the bands mentioned on this thread so far, you all need to skip 3:00 into this vid to hear some truly mindblowing shit:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Now this music really transcends genre.

I wonder if they see themselves as a band who writes music that is a reaction to the stifling omnipresence of the Jonas Brothers.

mms

sometimes
Is this Charlie you speak of the one who did "Spacerwoman"? That song is pretty great, I'd like to hear remixes of that if they exist.

yeah that track is totally lush, that mr flagios pretty great as well, just on the end before it went a bit shit

i've been wanting to do this for ages, here are my fave disco records the ones i can find on youtube anyway:

sylvester - i need somebody to love tonight

dance reaction - disco train

salsoul orchestra - magic bird of fire

charlie -spacer woman

laurie marshall - disco spaceship

magnifique - magnifique

Tantra - hills of katmandu

man friday - love honey love heartache

slick - space bass

q - voice of q instrumental
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PAP6OAmbWO0

raw silk - just in time and space
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lAdUd_a4u3o

underwater - harry thurman
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0PLrSPcJJTc

the rockets - space rock
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0mJxYxyPCyw&feature=related

just realised most of those have space in the title...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Eh, everything's patched up in the end, plus that Rod Poole's pretty wicked, so thank you Zhao.

yeah his just intonation solo guitar is second to none. chills down my spine every time. la monte young meets john fahey would be a perfect comparison. im going to post a couple more of his as well...

zhao

there are no accidents
I'm at a point where if I want to like an MGMT song because it sounds good, I don't care if that's not "cool"...not in the slightest...maybe there was a day when I would have, but that day is done.

congrats. thats a good point to reach. can you see the next one in the distance?

sure scenes can be a drag, but great things can happen both within and without them. dont be so quick to dismiss entire genres or scenes or styles or people who are into it -- even if they are insular and narrowminded -- but we are not, or try not to be, right?

Last edited:

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i thought the whole black devil disco thing was a charade...not old "rescued tapes"....? am i wrong or right?

mms

sometimes
i thought the whole black devil disco thing was a charade...not old "rescued tapes"....? am i wrong or right?

no it was an old record that was re-released albeit in bits....
i don't really know why it was thought to be a charade.
this is the original lp
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-DEVIL-D...14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

not cheap, although it was cheaper before it was reissued oddly. the reissue was actually mastered off a mint vinyl as the publishers didn't have the masters, the two guys involved in making it were library, musicians.

they reformed (sort of ) and recorded some more material.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
yo mms

well done for tracking them down! out of curiosity how hard was it to find mr fevre? and did the initial interest kick start more creativity or were they still producing behind the scenes?

mms

sometimes
yo mms

well done for tracking them down! out of curiosity how hard was it to find mr fevre? and did the initial interest kick start more creativity or were they still producing behind the scenes?
it wasn't just me i have to say, the contact was made with the owners rather than the artists, you kn ow anything could have happened to them and they probaby wouldn't own the track anyway, could be writing under pseudonomys as they were etc, so we found the publishers in italy, it took a while. Contact with bernard fevre, ( the track was him and a guy called jackie giordiano not just fevre) was made later when the publishers passed on the email to him. both guys are library guys:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Jacky+Giordano
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bernard+Fevre

a dude called pp roy who recorded for rephlex and had been collecting weird disco bits since forever before any of these records were worth a thing, or anyone paid attention to them had it on comps he used to make, and it was clearly a killer, Grant who runs rephlex wanted to track it down so we got on it.
I think after that was a success b fevre started recording more stuff under the black devil name which is the stuff on lo but i think he had been doing music generally.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
ha interesting! i've often wondered what pains labels have to go through to get such licenses. so just to be clear are you saying the original bddc record was released as a library record or was it just released to a regular publisher?

of course i'm aware that fevre is a library dude having seen this comp
which seems to be one of the easiest fevre library records to find.

mms

sometimes
ha interesting! i've often wondered what pains labels have to go through to get such licenses. so just to be clear are you saying the original bddc record was released as a library record or was it just released to a regular publisher?

of course i'm aware that fevre is a library dude having seen this comp
which seems to be one of the easiest fevre library records to find.

regular record recorded under a pseudonom, recorded one pissed night in france i think, there are a few records like this, quite a few disco records, so that artists on library contracts can record some stuff on the side, here is another famous one:

most important one is the champ i guess, which was all the kpm guys trying not to get caught

Last edited: