The opposite of goth

swears

preppy-kei
gravediggaz?

Yeah! That's an even better example, there was a little genre for a while back there called "Horrorcore" in the mid-90s. Some of DMX's stuff is very fatalistic and morbid, too. There's probably loads of stuff.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I think there can be (see the pdf linked to upthread - lots of racist/odinist/nazi biz) but there doesn't have to be. Killing Joke for example managed to combine goth with tribalism.

See also early Amebix when they sounded like a Killing Joke cover band (a good thing, of course). Plus Joy Division (not goth but Gothic), UK Decay, "Bela Lugosi's Dead".

wu-tang and wordsound are goth-hop

Someone just mentioned Gravediggaz, RZA at his most gothified. Also some of Big L's work, even Cypress Hill (the artwork/aesthetic, skulls & gloom & such). El-P's production, especially on The Cold Vein.

you might be right about a disengagement from politics, though I do recall some gothy anarcho punk things (was it amebix?)

That's right, though they were much more nihilistic than most of the Crass-style anarcho bands. And later on their sound turned more Motorhead, still awesome of course. The Mob, again, also Rudimentary Peni (esp. the artwork), maybe even Conflict for the sheer angst of the vocal delivery.

the more miserabalist elements of the Shaka / UK Dub scene can get pretty goth also.

Scientist Rids the World of the Curse of the Vampires. Also the whole scene around On-U, kinda? Esp. the parts w/Mark Stewart.

zhao

there are no accidents
tricky is goth. the boy wears eye-liner for one thing.

and now that i think about it, massive attack is pretty fucking goth in the end.

those Gas albums by W. Voigt are goth.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Surely you can't be serious? He lives in seclusion in a frigid land that is in darkness half the year and travels by sleigh.

And despite that he's STILL a jolly, bearded, red-faced fat fucker who's always laughing.

Pretty damn un-goth if you ask me.

vimothy said:
Goth-dub:

Bauhaus -- In Fear of Dub

See also: 'At The Top' by Revolting Cocks on Beers, Steers And Queers. Pretty good tune, actually.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i had a poster of the gravediggas on my wall when i was in my early 20's a massive poster in black and white, with rza's huge metal mouth and vampire teeth, my girlfriend made me take it down cos it scared her.
Alot of latino gang culture, the script is actually gothic, the images if tearful bleeding jesus' all that fated prison stuff, deeply depressing from the mags i've seen from san francisco etc, there is quite a heavy goth undertone to catholic latin american culture, newspapers with an emphasis in death, coffin joe movies the gothic script etc.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Alot of latino gang culture, the script is actually gothic, the images if tearful bleeding jesus' all that fated prison stuff, deeply depressing from the mags i've seen from san francisco etc, there is quite a heavy goth undertone to catholic latin american culture, newspapers with an emphasis in death, coffin joe movies the gothic script etc.

Oh absolutely, "the death cult called Catholicism"* is goth as fuck.

*thanks again, Jonathon Meades!

vimothy

yurp
Think the ice queen is pretty goth, but Jesus/Aslan surely is the antithesis, and so couldn't be further from it...?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Think the ice queen is pretty goth, but Jesus/Aslan surely is the antithesis, and so couldn't be further from it...?

Jesus is the ur-goth, surely?

000605.JPG

I mean, has anyone ever suffered quite so sublimely as my man Jay-Cee?

Jesus is not to be confused with the flock of brainwashed conformist zombie sheeple who venerate him, of course. ;)

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
well jesus was descended from older egyptian gods, and THEY were GOTH!!!

but not in the picture some brain-dead asshole fundamentalists paints of him though.