The opposite of goth

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
well jesus was descended from older egyptian gods, and THEY were GOTH!!!

Or THOTH, even:

thoth4.gif

Last edited:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
anything that might be considered "rugged" (beards, wrangler jeans, dodge ram trucks) is def anti-goth

tanning salons
katie couric
being good at sports
the dave matthews band
athens, georgia (the university of georgia)
designer suits, Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, Chaps, A&F

i always thought this was the best example of horror/hip hop:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
And despite that he's STILL a jolly, bearded, red-faced fat fucker who's always laughing.

Pretty damn un-goth if you ask me.

nah that's all merely a front to hide the inner anguish innit. though maybe he is more metal than goth; a hero from the frigid northlands who rides upon mighty steeds, like a fat Norse philanothropist.

more things that are the opposite of goth;
southern rock - a bunch of fat, bearded guys playing sweet gtr jams
The French Revolution (put an end to all those 18th century aristos w/their frilly lace, powdered faces, wigs) really any popular revolution - goths are nothing if not elitist
black people (not Latins, though)
funk; as music, as a concept, as a quality
Minor Threat
sunshine, vitamins & minerals - mess up that deathly pallor

some things which are very goth;
tuberculosis aka consumption - gives you that deathly pallor
Stevie Nicks
latter Black Flag - Greg Ginn, admitted The Birthday Party fan
Jesus - come on, I can't believe people are even arguing this one
"Acid Trax" - yeah it's black but also gay which cancels out don't it, tell me you couldn't mix this into a set of Bahaus and London After Midnight and whatever

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I've been getting black metal fans (the gothiest of anti-goths) into acid house recently. The repetitive harshness and paranoid horror vibes really translate well.

mms

sometimes
this dre / snoop one is gothic as fuck, snoop retelling the story of his death from beyond the grave:
murder was the case:

complete with doomy bells, screamy synths.

check it here discussing the video:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
'crow flies into the room, turns into jesus christ, jesus turns into satan, snoop sells his soul to the devil'
i didn't know but it's a common rumour that snoop sold his soul to the big red one.

voodoos got a simularity to some mexican traditions like the day of the dead, basically ancestor worship with catholic trimmings, like alot of voodoo religious beliefs.
That idea that the dead are part of the living world vica versa, which is quite a gothy idea i guess.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
murder was the case:

Great song, great vid. :)

voodoos got a simularity to some mexican traditions like the day of the dead, basically ancestor worship with catholic trimmings, like alot of voodoo religious beliefs.
That idea that the dead are part of the living world vica versa, which is quite a gothy idea i guess.

Yeah, the Dia de los Muertos or whatever it's called is a sort of Amerindian/Catholic Hallowe'en, really fascinating tradition. I think the thing about thinking of death as inseperable from life, and in fact a part of life - as opposed to the antithesis of life - is actually very sensible. We seem to be far more hung about death in our culture than many other cultures are, which is not a good thing. Look at our laws that force terminally ill people to drag their lives out to the bitter end, it's fucked up.

mms

sometimes
Yeah, the Dia de los Muertos or whatever it's called is a sort of Amerindian/Catholic Hallowe'en, really fascinating tradition. I think the thing about thinking of death as inseperable from life, and in fact a part of life - as opposed to the antithesis of life - is actually very sensible. We seem to be far more hung about death in our culture than many other cultures are, which is not a good thing. Look at our laws that force terminally ill people to drag their lives out to the bitter end, it's fucked up.

yes and the spiritual, it's seen as separate or equated directly to good morals, ie god is good, devil bad, also the thing about ancestor worship is valuing the people that put you here, the 'vine of souls', so reminding you that there are a lot of people involved in all you've inherited, and its not been easy for anyone.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
i had a poster of the gravediggas on my wall when i was in my early 20's a massive poster in black and white, with rza's huge metal mouth and vampire teeth, my girlfriend made me take it down cos it scared her.
Alot of latino gang culture, the script is actually gothic, the images if tearful bleeding jesus' all that fated prison stuff, deeply depressing from the mags i've seen from san francisco etc, there is quite a heavy goth undertone to catholic latin american culture, newspapers with an emphasis in death, coffin joe movies the gothic script etc.

In Bushwick you are nobody if you don't have tatoos in huge gothic scrawl all over your neck.

zhao said:
well jesus was descended from older egyptian gods, and THEY were GOTH!!!

but not in the picture some brain-dead asshole fundamentalists paints of him though.

Even better, almost everything in the Old Testament was stolen directly from Gilgamesh. Or at very least all of the pre-Babylonian or ur-Babylonian myths had common origins that pre-date the Bible by years and years. Thousands of years.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
(RIP nomad the second)

non goth foods:
lollipops
popsicles
corndogs

non-goth products:
soap on a rope
commemorative statuettes of liberty
gum ball machines
lava lamps
tie-dye

non-goth foods:
cotton candy
cream-filled doughnuts
red licorice (though the black anise-flavored ones are acceptable)

non-goth sports:
mini-golf
ping pong

non-goth aquatic diversions:
water slides
hot tubs
slip & slide

non-goth miscellany:
babies and children
tickling

non-goth vehicles:
japanese motorcycles
go-karts
anything electric or solar powered

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I reckon in terms of trends/clothing choices, the opposite of goth would be hyper-fluoro Nu Rave bellends. Nu Rave & Goth Rock are pretty opposite too.

But what's interesting is that 'nu-rave', such as it is, is a kind of ironic (-or is it?!?!) send-up of yer fluoro/tie-dye candy-raver, psy-trance-nonsense set. Which actually interfaces neatly with the 'cybergoth', purple dreadlocks, watches-too-much-anime element - which I see as an outlier, however distant, from goth proper.

Also, among the current crop of teenagers and stoodents in the UK (where are you posting from, btw? Edit: sorry, you used the term 'bellend', you're obviously British - my bad) there's a sort of cultural triangulation between generic skinny-jeans/big-hair indie, Mighty Boosh-inspired nu-ravers and emo, which is a sort of MTV-approved 'goth lite' in the first place.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
there's a sort of cultural triangulation between generic skinny-jeans/big-hair indie, Mighty Boosh-inspired nu-ravers and emo, which is a sort of MTV-approved 'goth lite' in the first place.

It's funny to think that what Noel Fielding wears in the Boosh actually has an impact on youth fashion, since it is quite clear he is poking fun, albeit affectionately, at his character's ridiculous attempt to constantly appear on the cutting edge of fashion. Although considering Fielding's regular everyday sartorial habits it is very likely he is partly making fun of himself, so it's not all that surprising really.

When I think of goths, I certainly don't think of any sort of fashion consciousness at all. You can tell they care deeply about the way they look, but only insofar as it seperates them from the way everyone else looks, and includes them within a certain group. It can't be much about vanity, because typically goths look like absolute shit.