Help Needed: Dumpling House

Client Eastwood

Well its almost a dumpling.

Cheap and filling. Taste good after beers or first thing in the morning.

VegetableSamosa.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
those things are alright but the way you're all going on about them is well over the top. gimmie a portion of chips anyday

Proper chips are unbeatable but where the hell do you get proper chips in London these days? True, there are a few old-skool chippies left, but I have no idea where the nearest one to my house is - twig-thin 'fries' from yer Krappy Fried Chicked just aren't the same. The great thing about having dumplings in the freezer is that I can cook them whenever I want and they take about three minutes.

crackerjack

Proper chips are unbeatable but where the hell do you get proper chips in London these days? True, there are a few old-skool chippies left, but I have no idea where the nearest one to my house is - twig-thin 'fries' from yer Krappy Fried Chicked just aren't the same. The great thing about having dumplings in the freezer is that I can cook them whenever I want and they take about three minutes.

If you're in Bow, try the Britannia on Grove Rd

luka

yeah brittania is big and brothers on water lane e15 is even better. there's loads of good chippes still around. if they sell kebabs or chicken they're probably shit though. (as a genreal rule)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you're in Bow, try the Britannia on Grove Rd

Fair enough, that is a good chippie, and very handy for the Palm Tree, but it's not quite on my way home, sort of thing. God, what a lazy sod I sound like! (and am)

Has there been a 'best London chippies' thread yet? If not there probably should be.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Proper chips are unbeatable but where the hell do you get proper chips in London these days?

faulkner's on kingsland road does amazing proper chips http://www.urbanpath.com/london/fish-and-chips/faulkners.htm

naw, most burritos in NYC suck... and most nyers are happy eating very shitty burritos stuffed with rice n beans (YUCK... SF STYLE BURRITOS=GROSS) at plces like Benny's Burritos or Burritoville...

lol i should've known i wouldn't get away with saying he knew about burritos cos he was from nyc - the guy goes out with a san diegoan, so this is a debate i have borne witness to many times before hehe.

luka

'Prawn cocktail was soggy affair, with a "forgotten in the cold-store" taste that even a downpour of tabasco couldn't mask. Sole was fishy and full of roe, I got a battered haddock that whilst slightly underdone was an improvement. Unfortunately the waiter insisted the sole was fresh depite a grey sheen on it and I was charged for both dishes. At £60 for two for a poor meal with poor service this has to rank amongst my worst dining experiences on the planet. Had to have a shower to feel clean again after this meal. Go to Fish Central or The Fish Shop Islington. Go anywhere but don't come here.'

mmmmmmmm, soun ds great dan....

crackerjack

theres one on roman thats not that bad too though.

Where? The one between globe and Grove Rd is rubbish. There's one at the eastern end of the market that i've never tried.

Also, the Greek place at TCR tube is really good and it does kebabs and chicken too! - I ate there last night, it's about to close cos of the redevelopment, so you've got 3 days left to try it out.

Last edited:

luka

the one near the market. i think the one you mean is the one run by a real old couple.
i quite like the other one. its not consistant enough to be considered one of the heavyweights but it fills a gap nicely/

mos dan

fact music
'Prawn cocktail was soggy affair, with a "forgotten in the cold-store" taste that even a downpour of tabasco couldn't mask. Sole was fishy and full of roe, I got a battered haddock that whilst slightly underdone was an improvement. Unfortunately the waiter insisted the sole was fresh depite a grey sheen on it and I was charged for both dishes. At £60 for two for a poor meal with poor service this has to rank amongst my worst dining experiences on the planet. Had to have a shower to feel clean again after this meal. Go to Fish Central or The Fish Shop Islington. Go anywhere but don't come here.'

mmmmmmmm, soun ds great dan....

lol the chips - on a takeaway ting - are amazing. i have never sat down to eat there, mostly because i refuse to go out for seafood in london.. i fucking love the stuff, but it's horribly overpriced and usually crappy quality too, it's agonising. so whenever i go on holiday somewhere where it isn't, i catch up, a lot. last time i was in spain i'd just buy half a kilo of shell-on prawns as an afternoon snack, and sit there eating them like pistachios or something.

but i stand by faulkner's chips, they're amazing.. soggy prawn cocktail or not.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Where? The one between globe and Grove Rd is rubbish. There's one at the eastern end of the market that i've never tried.

Also, the Greek place at TCR tube is really good and it does kebabs and chicken too! - I ate there last night, it's about to close cos of the redevelopment, so you've got 3 days left to try it out.

Wot, really? You mean Dionysus? Shit, it's been there for about 40 years. Not had fish there, but the chicken and chips are good. Damn. :(

crackerjack

Wot, really? You mean Dionysus? Shit, it's been there for about 40 years. Not had fish there, but the chicken and chips are good. Damn. :(

That's the one. Closes Monday, but there's a sign on the door saying they're gonna open somewhere else and to leave email addresses for the where and when.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
The UK could definitely do with more good mexican places, major lack here. Has anyone been to a Bar Burrito? Like a Subway for Mexican stuff, quite bland, you need to drench everything in Tabasco to get any sort of kick out of it.

i took an American in one of the Mancunian Barburritos years ago and they were amused with the 'how to eat a burrito' leaflet inside :)
their salsa verde was good but they've recently taken it off the menu for some tomatillo reason.

buffalo wings in London would be killer.

there is good pizza in the UK but i know what petergunn means, i couldn't believe the quality of simple slices of cheese when in NYC recently. there, Chicago and Milan are my favourite pizza towns (although Milan is the only place in Italy i've been to).

10 of TONY's fave Big Apple pizza pie joints- check out the description of the first place!

you lot take lovely photos, all these things look sublime.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
yes i remember we both enjoyed Luka discussing his savoury hot pies in the "how I will be watching the election results" thread

:p

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yes i remember we both enjoyed Luka discussing his savoury hot pies in the "how I will be watching the election results" thread

:p

Someone posted a link to some Australian blasphemy that was a sort of shepherd's-pie-flavoured pizza. Which made me :slanted:, :confused:, :mad: and finally just :( in turn.