Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Bangpuss

I'm pathologically opposed to chicken breasts usually as they're so tasteless, but this is possibly my favourite easy dish that I can cook:

Marinate chicken for as long as possible with crushed coriander seeds, cumin, turmeric, juice of a few limes and lots of mint. Fry it up and serve in toasted pitta breads with a 50-50 mix of hummus and thick yoghurt, and strips of red bell pepper.

remidns me of another idea from Flavour thesaurus: instead of lime and mint in a mojito, replace the lime with watermelon. not tried it yet, but sounds great.

I cooked something very similar just the other week. Although I marinated the chicken in yoghurt and mint to begin with then whacked it in the oven. Twas very tasty.

Bangpuss

My number one favourite dish to cook, though, is lemon-flavoured rice with vegetables, feta cheese and smoked salmon. It's very easy.

Fry your veg (onion, red pepper, courgette) in garlic.

Cook your rice in vegetable stock, with a whole lemon chopped up and thrown in.

When it's done, mix the vegetables in, add your feta cheese and the salmon.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I have the new FD book and it's ace. It's got a few familiar things from earlier books with lots of new stuff, mainly simple veg based dishes and some meats too.
Got it on saturday, hit up the local chinese grocers yesterday, started cooking today. Good so far!

I quite like that the ingredients section has some pictures of packaging to give you half an idea of what you're looking for...

viktorvaughn

Got it on saturday, hit up the local chinese grocers yesterday, started cooking today. Good so far!

I quite like that the ingredients section has some pictures of packaging to give you half an idea of what you're looking for...

Wicked! I always have Pixian bean paste, Tinjiang preserved veg, sesame oil, soy, Cooking wine, Sichuan pepper, ginger and garlic and that's about all you need for lots of stuff.

viktorvaughn

Roast chicken stuffed with loads of chopped preserved lemons, garlic, chorizo, paprika, olive oil and a little dried chilli was amazing - the sickest roasting juices. Going to try a stew version of this on thursday, super easy. Maybe some cubed turnip in there too.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/sichuan-chilli-bean-paste/

I've got the Chuan Lao Hu brand.

I think tianjian preserved vegetable refers to the type of vegetable and the method of preservation. I suspect, although I have no actual evidence, that "vegetable" is a translation of "cai", and might be more accurately given as "greens" - different types of preserved vegetable eg olive vegetable or sichuan preserved vegetable seem to use different vegetables but they're often related to something cabbagey.

I think a big part of what Fuschia Dunlop does is demystify this sort of stuff...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Best Tianjin veg to get is the Heibei one in the brown clay pot, if you google it you can see it in the images section. I made the ...mistake? ... of using other preserved veg a few times before I found that one. It's fucking delicious. Use with fried rice as well. Yummy.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Best Tianjin veg to get is the Heibei one in the brown clay pot, if you google it you can see it in the images section. I made the ...mistake? ... of using other preserved veg a few times before I found that one. It's fucking delicious. Use with fried rice as well. Yummy.

is there a particular shop on chinatown that's bound to have it?

viktorvaughn

http://lotusculinary.typepad.com/lotus-culinary/2011/01/pixian-dou-ban-jiang-chili-bean-paste.html

Look at the second picture down.

What's a common brand of Pixian bean paste? I like the fact they make it with broad beans - very interesting.

And what's Tinjiang preserved vegetables - particular kind of veg, or particular method of preservation, or a brand name?

I've tried three differnet types now and would recommend getting one with as high a percentage of broad bean is as possible.

This one is 35% IIRC and the one to go for, proper thick and funky and hot.

LUXY-031.jpg

There is one that's that popular brand that do loads of sauces but it's runnier and not as powerful. Lee Kum Kee.

Benny Bunter

my vietnamese mate gave me this incredibly simple yet utterly bad-ass recipe for peanut butter dipping sauce. i think he just got it off some random cooking blog but he reckons its the closest to the real thing he's ever had outside of vietnam.

2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar

2 teaspoons soy sauce

2 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons peanut butter

1 Tablespoon hot water

1 teaspoon chili garlic paste (or just fry chillis and crushed garlic together for a minute)

2 Tablespoons chopped peanuts

- stir it together and have with spring rolls. So easy!

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Laoganma black bean/garlic/chili/szechuan pepper sauce. Possibly (along with Worcestershire sauce) the best condiment in the world.

luka

xo sauce very famous! i think its named in honour of xo brandy. i dont eat it as its made with shrimp and usually pork. supposed to be very good though.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Laoganma black bean/garlic/chili/szechuan pepper sauce. Possibly (along with Worcestershire sauce) the best condiment in the world.

Havent tried that one yet, I mistakenly picked up a Laoganma one the other week which had peanuts and weird bits of crunchy...tofu...in it, which is very nice if marginally alarming cos I'm not sure which bits to eat.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I can't eat peanuts, so can't compare with that one...all I can say is the black bean one is killer. There's a FD recipe with pork belly and leeks and that Laoganma in, that is divine.

I went to See Woo yesterday. Mildly disappointing because I couldn't find the Dan Dan Seasoning/pixian bean paste, only a paste that was 25 % broad beans that only came in 1kg (!) jars. Gonna order the Dan Dan by mail order, I think.

Picked up some garlic chives though, and my kitchen is already reeling. Pungent doesn't begin to describe them...