Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Kolhapuri Baigan:

deep fry eggplant (or as some of you might call it, aubergine, though I hate this word)
boil potatoes
mix chopped mint leaves, chaat masala, cumin, garlic paste in yoghurt
chop up boiled potatoes
layer in a dish in following order: potatoes, eggplant, yoghurt.

eat with a bhatura.

takes no time at all to make.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Oh also if you got any eggplant left over roast that shit, mash it up, cook with quartered tomatoes, green chili, onions, garam masala, cumin seeds, chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder depends what spices you like really then boom boom boom - Baigan Ka Bharta.

I know from brewing kit beers that the main ingredient of beer- barley extract (aka wort)- is nice on it's own. It's an incredibly thick tracle like substance, very sweet but also having a bitter, slightly peppery after taste. I suspect it would go nice with some kind of desert. However it's only availiable canned in quantities several times larger than your average tin, and costs at least £7. But perhaps the likes of Heston Blumenthal can whip up some concoction with it it.

To be honest though, I've never bought ordinary treacle or golden syrup, maybe they taste the same as wort

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It sounds like good quality ordinary treacle....but perhaps a more complicated taste?

more thoughts:

salsa verde is sublime (parsley, vinegar, capers, garlic, onion, anchovies, olive oil, and possibly mustard - copying from Wikipedia..my friend makes it really well, but I haven't yet perfected it).

similar flavours - pesto with day-old breadcrumbs, parsley, anchovies, balsamic, good quality olive oil, lots of garlic.....kinda salsa verde but simpler.

And for my final trick:

To a sweet-sour drink (eg homemade lemonade, pomegranate molasses/sugar/water drink), add salt and pepper. You won't regret it.

viktorvaughn

Oh also if you got any eggplant left over roast that shit, mash it up, cook with quartered tomatoes, green chili, onions, garam masala, cumin seeds, chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder depends what spices you like really then boom boom boom - Baigan Ka Bharta.

I was reminded to make babaganoush last night by reading this - 4 aubergines (sorry!) for a quid. Roasted and mashed with chilli, garlic, tahini and lemon. Well nice.

viktorvaughn

Bagna cauda is nice - poach some garlic cloves and mash them up with anchovies then stir in melted butter and a bit of olive oil over a ban marie too make a wonderfully rich sauce.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was reminded to make babaganoush last night by reading this - 4 aubergines (sorry!) for a quid. Roasted and mashed with chilli, garlic, tahini and lemon. Well nice.

Drool....

try it with yoghurt as well - think that's usually called moutabal (sp?), or at least is in Lebanon. Edit: cumin seeds should work on the principle of adding bitter (cumin) to bitter (aubergine), making the aubergine taste less bitter, and more...sweet?

Muhamarra sounds lovely (haven't made it yet) - walnuts/roasted peppers/pomegranate/lemon/chili etc.

This menu gave me lots of ideas:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/ilili/menus/main.html

Bagna cauda sounds great - am concerned I would like it too much tho...

nochexxx

harco pronting
Canton Street Style Chicken Porridge.

When I lived in the Far East I used to eat this dish at least once a week. After much experimentation I finally cracked the recipe. After a few failed attempts I was shocked that I managed to replicate this dish to almost exacting standards. It’s a piece of piss really. The secret would you believe is white pepper.

Ingredients:
White rice, chicken breast, chicken stock, ginger, soya sauce, spring onions, shallots, salt, white pepper (do not use black pepper), sesame oil, white wine vinegar or any vinegar really.

In a large plate add some salt, white pepper, finely chopped ginger, a glug of the best soya sauce, a smaller glug of sesame seed oil, a couple of tablespoons of vinegar.

Cut chicken breast into bite size chunks or thin slices (what ever you prefer) and transfer onto the same plate and marinate all the ingredients together. Ensuring the chicken is rubbed into the sauce vigourously.

In a rice cooker or pan add the rice, congealed chicken stock, add four times more cold water than you would normally use to steam rice (this equates to roughly four inches of water above the rice). You can also use cold chicken stock if you so desire.

Switch on the rice cooker or use a saucepan on a very low heat (making sure you have a lid on). After the rice is 3/4 of the way cooked (5 minutes from the end) stir in the chicken and cover with lid

use finely chopped spring onions and fried shallots to garnish the porridge once it is on the plate. add a drizzle of soya sauce and serve.

Traditionally you will find in any chicken porridge stall a bowl of dried shallots, which would have been shallow fried and strained onto a napkin to absorb the oil. This is frankly a pain the arse, however you can buy a jar of these dried shallots from most Chinese supermarkets.

What you should end up with his a watery consistency of soft chicken breast, fresh spring onions and dried crispy shallots on top.