London pubs

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have noticed this phenomenon of very middle class journalists/media types fetishising working class (or thereabouts) pubs in London.

Obviously I prefer to drink in middle class places where they serve craft beer and have fixed gear bikes hanging on the walls.

luka

i prefer to drink in places where they dont have some kind of defacto social apatheid in place

luka

Vauxhall Griffin sells Monster Munch. I am always impressed by this. Pubs that only sell McCoys are to be avoided. That's one of the reasons I ditched the Morpeth.
the graduate in greenwich sells quavers

IdleRich

IdleRich
i prefer to drink in places where they dont have some kind of defacto social apatheid in place

There is something very disappointing when something superficially looks like something you love but then you discover that, other than the surface appearance it lacks all of the other qualities and is ultimately fake.

luka

There is something very disappointing when something superficially looks like something you love but then you discover that, other than the surface appearance it lacks all of the other qualities and is ultimately fake.
happens more often than not nowadays

luka

vanishingly rare for any refurb to go well. they either do it tastefully in which case the period fittings are retained but everything is scrubbed up and it feels a bit lifeless and all the horribe 'characters' have been purged and replaced by NPCs, or they do it in a completely unsympathetic way and that's even worse.

luka

All those pubs around there got gentrified. I'm not gonna moan about that as such it's all been said before. But the one I found strange was, I think it's called, The Cock on Mare Street. I used to go there on my own and watch the football games in the midweek, was a kinda mainly Irish pub I think, pool table, biggish screen, spit and sawdust and relatively cheap. And then they did it up, but it feels like a completely different space, it's all dark wood and twenty different real ales on tap - but the strange thing is the way it looks as though it's really old and it's always been like that and the idea of the pub that was there before and which was in fact much more modern looking has been totally erased.
This is it now

mini_IMG_9883.JPG
a tasteful, sympathetic refurb sucking all the life out of a place. this is where Edmund drank pickled egg juice shots

luka

the trafalgar in greenwich has an exceptional rum selection but is missing the jamaican classics. the el dorado 21 is the best thing ive ever drunk.

luka

the greenwich pubs people like are the trafalgar, the prince, the peleton arms, the crown, the graduate, the cutty sark, the duke, decent selection but shit wetherspoons. horrible place.

luka

the dog and bell nearby is one of the most beautiful pubs in london. its @wektor favourite in the whole of europe. bit crowded at times but lovely for day drinking. the trafalgar is the only one with a decent range of scotch and rum though. theres a davys wine lodge that is quite funny, they have ardbeg usually.

wild greens

Having drank in every single pub in Woolwich over the years, several times, I would opine that the tiktok review of the Prince Albert/"Rose's" (who calls it that?) is so far off the mark from what we used to think of the place, that it seems like a parallel universe.

luka

we took @mvuent to the stockton in deptford which is a bar with good cocktails. same people own the watergate, which is a nicer space, and the one under the railway arch. i dont like drinking in railway arches. all really good cocktails though, and natural wine if you like that.

luka

Having drank in every single pub in Woolwich over the years, several times, I would opine that the tiktok review of the Prince Albert/"Rose's" (who calls it that?) is so far off the mark from what we used to think of the place, that it seems like a parallel universe.
rather you than me.