current trends that will age horribly

the ig

oh and...
...blanched, bland detroit house rips such as efdemin.
that not very deep at all nu-deep thing.

padro1982

I hear ya. I just dont want basic channel to ruin my enjoyment of current ponderous echo space navel gazing stuff.

The amount of enjoyment you will get from Basic Channel/Chain Reaction/Main Street/Burial Mix will far outweigh that of the newer stuff! It will just make you realise how weak a lot of the imitations are.

^^^oooh a challenge:D

Gwarn then. Post up ya best basic burial reaction from days gone by and i'll match it with some navel fluff i just picked out.

True that older stuff might be better than current cheap and nasty knock offs but producers who were inspired by those elders have surely moved the genre forward while technology has given them a leading edge ...no ?

zhao

there are no accidents
True that older stuff might be better than current cheap and nasty knock offs but producers who were inspired by those elders have surely moved the genre forward while technology has given them a leading edge ...no ?

in sound design, perhaps, in minor ways.

it is my belief, and i think those of most who have come to experience all kinds of music for long, sustained periods of time, that the tools used in creation is of almost no importance with regard to quality, and that technological advantages amount to very very little in the end. what makes good music are the formal ideas, the purity of emotional feeling with which people overcome fear to express, and a certain much more difficult to name or articulate thing.

too bad all those blog-house producers out there don't know this.

Tanadan

likes things

it is my belief, and i think those of most who have come to experience all kinds of music for long, sustained periods of time, that the tools used in creation is of almost no importance with regard to quality, and that technological advantages amount to very very little in the end. what makes good music are the formal ideas, the purity of emotional feeling with which people overcome fear to express, and a certain much more difficult to name or articulate thing.

Mmmm... classical musicology is you.

padro1982

Well said.

I'm not saying that all the new stuff is bad necessarily, most of it is perfectly acceptable, just rather bland in comparison to the originators. You certainly shouldn't close yourself of to Basic Channel in the fear it will ruin your enjoyment of the other stuff, it will give you an appreciation of where the ideas developed from.

uhhh...in sound design, in MAJOR ways!...but you're right. Tools dont maketh the man or guarantee quality. They do make him better if he knows how to use them though. Its not like you're saying they had better musical ideas in the past are you ?

A lot of great music is a direct result of advancing technology. Im sure if basic channel could have accessed todays sound palettes they would have made much better music. Maybe thats the thing about musicians capturing the zeitgeist thru technology and why maybe it's best not to compare music from different times.

I mean, mozart was definitely the man for his times. He probably had the flashest piano in town and theres no denying his musical genius but i'd still rather listen to reso or mala or...

A lot of great music is a direct result of advancing technology. Im sure if basic channel could have accessed todays sound palettes they would have made much better music. Maybe thats the thing about musicians capturing the zeitgeist thru technology and why maybe it's best not to compare music from different times.

That's only true when new technology is used to express new ideas. The invention of electric guitars, synths, samplers, turntable as instrument etc. encouraged musicians to explore new paths which resulted in good new music, but just repeating old ideas with new technology doesn't, at least not automatically. I don't think Basic Channel would be any better if they had laptops and plugins.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Seeing as we've spent half a page slagging it off, can someone at least name some examples of this 'ponderous Basic Channel inspired space echo navel gazing'?
I'm not too familiar (still!) with the Basic Channel output itself, but as a general rule I'm very partial to echo and other dubby effects, it's not so much about navel gazing as it is about creating a soundscape. :p

mms

sometimes
^^^oooh a challenge:D

Gwarn then. Post up ya best basic burial reaction from days gone by and i'll match it with some navel fluff i just picked out.

i don't agree with this at all.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I say put up or shhhhh... and recommend/link me some basic channel then :p

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

now shut it.

padro1982

Basic Channel are still producing music (or at least Moritz is), and it is still better than their imitators, as highlighted in this piece of genius:

Tony Allen - Ole (A Remix By Moritz von Oswald)

and also in his remix of 'Ich Bin Der Regen' by 2raumwohnung, and his 'Recomposed' album with Carl Craig for Deutsche Grammophon.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Seeing as we've spent half a page slagging it off, can someone at least name some examples of this 'ponderous Basic Channel inspired space echo navel gazing'?
I'm not too familiar (still!) with the Basic Channel output itself, but as a general rule I'm very partial to echo and other dubby effects, it's not so much about navel gazing as it is about creating a soundscape. :p
DeepChord / Echospace
Lots of 'deep' dubstep.

I sort of kind of quite like some of it (and I really like BC / Maurizio) but at the same time it has that feel of being a bit... pointless. This is compounded to the power ten by that Echospace interview where they go on about how utterly essential 50,000 pounds worth of vintage compressors and analogue synths and original space echoes are to making music that's 'alive and human' despite the fact that as far as I'm concerned there's more vibrancy and humanity in a tune that Wiley knocked up in twenty minutes with Fruityloops than in their entire painstakingly textured 'ooh, listen to the oscillator drift isn't it amazing' ouevre.

In effect, they seem to be moving from music made with vintage sounds to music that's about vintage sounds. From sound design as a tool (which I think is how BC used it) to sound design as an end in itself. And I think that before long people are going to get a sense of perspective and stop judging this music on whether it sounds 'really vintage and warm' and start judging it on whether it's actually any cop or not.

padro1982

I think all the Deepchord stuff is essentially pointless as it has always been such an exact replication of Basic Channel, even to the point of moving from techno through to more traditional reggae structures, and even pinching Tikiman for a few tracks. They're really not much more than a tribute act, and this makes them extremely boring for me.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
DeepChord / Echospace
Lots of 'deep' dubstep.

I sort of kind of quite like some of it (and I really like BC / Maurizio) but at the same time it has that feel of being a bit... pointless. This is compounded to the power ten by that Echospace interview where they go on about how utterly essential 50,000 pounds worth of vintage compressors and analogue synths and original space echoes are to making music that's 'alive and human' despite the fact that as far as I'm concerned there's more vibrancy and humanity in a tune that Wiley knocked up in twenty minutes with Fruityloops than in their entire painstakingly textured 'ooh, listen to the oscillator drift isn't it amazing' ouevre.

In effect, they seem to be moving from music made with vintage sounds to music that's about vintage sounds. From sound design as a tool (which I think is how BC used it) to sound design as an end in itself. And I think that before long people are going to get a sense of perspective and stop judging this music on whether it sounds 'really vintage and warm' and start judging it on whether it's actually any cop or not.

Fair enough, I'll have a look into those artists. I agree that the Echospace interview seems problematic in a whole number of different ways, not a good attitude with which to approach making music. :eek: By 'deep' dubstep do you mean things like Peverelist, Appleblim, the Hessle audio artists? 'Cause for me what they're doing currently works. Though I would agree that too much self-consciouly deep dubstep has the potential to be rubbish.

zhao

there are no accidents
this is the very essence of this thread: timeless music sounds just right, when ever one listens to it, be it 5 years or 30 or 100 years (or i believe longer than that) from its creation. in electronic music, the nature of its process seems to put emphasis on the tools and technology, but in the end is NO DIFFERENT - good music always sounds just right.

this is why early Georgio Moroder, Caberet Voltaire, etc,etc, still sounds fucking ace in 2009. this is why the Voodooists from 1980 sounds great today, and this is why a track like this can not be surpassed with mere newer tools:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

difficult not to use that over burdened word "soul" when considering a track like this... this feeling is so timeless, so crucial, any remix with sharp highs and deeper lows and fancy sound design would almost certainly detract from it.

Last edited: