Addiction

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Oliver and Vimothy and Nomad are basically saying what i would say if i could, except with eloquence.

if any of you need distracting away from anarchism or good tunes by "bad" artists, head over to the beer thread (you see what i did there?) where there are pretty baubles to gaze upon and regard it as a temporary balm.

craner

Beast of Burden
I feel like posting here and posting there with depressing last-ditch Abba songs, I've squared a circle.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i do find myself losing myself in tics more, becoming more reactionary, finding it hard sometimes to not want to just shout (not literally, but metaphorically) at others, i worry one is losing one's mutability and hardening into something unwelcome due to this inflexible camphor i use to self-medicate.

at other times i get a grip and seem as free, easy and alert as ever.

(that last line sounds like bad adult programming.)

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
If you're blaming my politics on booze, Scottie, I wouldn't! I'm less ideological the more sodden I've got, because I can't remember the facts!

craner

Beast of Burden
Also, I must say, the Oona King team during the 05 campaign were awesome boozers. I drank more in May 2005 than I do now. Oona and her husband, in particular. They once bummed fags off me, the tight fucks!*It's probably because they knew they were going to lose. It was a liquid campaign.

* After the town hall hustings with Galloway, in fact.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
not at all, i'm not expressing myself very well i fear, but i quite understand wrt what you just said and wouldn't dream of it.
i didn't mean specifically my politics, no. (or yours, certainly.)

entirely OT (and yet also not entirely OT) but over in the breakfast thread Routes mentioned having a Cypriot breakfast love and that reminded me of a drunken interview with Hitchens once in which he is in a Greek restaurant in DC and talks to the owner about favourite cheeses and the owner and Hitch disagree respectively on halloumi and kasseri.

on the subject of British political hotties (and feel free to chime in for Nick Clegg, you men watchers), but i was watching the fairly mild-as-milk statement Miliband had for Parliament about he and Kouchner going to Colombo the other week and - i'll be honest - for about thirty or thirty-five minutes (give or take) i could not take my eyes off Caroline Flint, seated near the Foreign Secretary.

she beguiled me with her charms.

i mean, i was really like a man possessed, i've had a general low-grade sort of crush on Flint for ever (of course), but this was whole next level stuff, alright i'm over-egging the pudding a bit, but certainly she was rather foxy that day.

craner

Beast of Burden
Flint is obviously sexy, it's the gap between her front teeth. She's keeping a low profile right now, isn't she? Very wise. She got a bad brief a few years ago, handled it well. I like her.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i suppose it would not be out of order to ask if you've met her?

(you have been getting asked that a lot of politicians here recently.)

the other day she was wearing this necklace and.

ooh.

D

droid

caroline-flint-yellow-jacket.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
God, she's really hot. Her politics are probably awful though, right (always seems to work out that way)? Either way, we need more sexy politicians.

Sorry to hear about everyone's struggles with addiction.

"But I also sometimes think that if I did feel more despair, I'd be more inclined to get up and do something more about it."
This, from Vimothy, really struck a chord. And I have to say - just do something about it now. My family are quintessential "wait-for-a-crisis" types, and it's caused a lot of deeply unnecessary low-grade pain.

vimothy

yurp
The low-grade pain is worst of all! Except it isn't... damn.

(Actually, I am doing something about it, it's just that I'm doing it in a rather half-assed manner, which is worse, I think).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ha...so true.

Well, that's better than nothing, after all. But half-assed is not ideal.... What's stopping you being fully-assed?

vimothy

yurp

Could be. I guess my specific problem is falling behind with stuff because I've taken too much on, and then avoiding the problem because it's too big, which only causes it to get bigger, and bigger, and bigger...