Michael

BareBones

wheezy
1109_jesusjuice.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
I will be mourning my friend, brother, mentor and inspiration. He gave me and my family hope. I would never have been me without him.
MC Hammer

Um, who asked him for a quote?

gumdrops

i actually got teary when this was confirmed, and i never do that with famous people.

he was brilliant. he kinda fell off after the mid 80s but theres still some great stuff within what he released later. shame it hasnt dated as well due to the production but still, he was so so good. weird to think how long hes actually been doing this too - from the 60s (well just about) to now. i didnt think hed be able to do the shows tbh, he hasnt been well for a while, or at least not at the peak of health and hes not the type to just do a basic stripped down show. so if its true that all the rehearsals are what triggered it, then im not surprised. but i dont know why hed have signed up to do all those gigs if he couldnt hold up. i mean i know he needed the money but still...

ive read a couple of interesting bits - one was on the guardian, the other was on blog rhapsody where someone wrote about the paranoia and dread in his lyrics and how he was trying to escape himself for so much of his life/career. i know a lot of people think mj was really corny (why on earth the bbc interviewed ppl at glasto about this i dont know, but am interested to see if anyone does some covers) but regardless of what you think about songs like beat it, we are the world, heal the world etc, or how he broached the issues, he at least talked about things like ganglife, the environment, etc. he was a superstar but he still had those 70s soul ideals in his music. cant imagine any of the guys inspired by him (neyo, usher etc) doing the same.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's going to be one HELL of a post-mortem.

Jesus, it'd be like dismantling a piece of technology fallen from space. I imagine them carefully removing the exoskeleton, proceeding through layers upon layers of silicone, skin graft and cartilage, to find a small flat-nosed black child at the center, entangled within the sparking and smoking central circuitry, gasping, plug in hand.

polystyle

'King Of Pop'

Crowds streamed up to the Apollo Theatre last night , every time the nonstop news showed the area it was more and more crowded with fans and just people wanting to share some feelings ...
A parade of world leaders , has beens and Imelda Marcos - prisoners in an Asian jail will do mass dance in honor, plus all the mass moon walks.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/27/world/27jacksonreax.html?hp

VH1 Soul ran it's Quincy Jones docu again ( That's a producer ! ) , well worth catching if you haven't seen it yet ... his stories of working with early M J and the super hits they made together.

A global pop moment, a 'King' passes,
probably some strange last days
( online rumor he broke bone in rehearsal then took too much meds ? )
and as noted above, when Madonna goes it's not going to be at all the same thing.

As I see in comments on the Times article, so many people have memories of MJ's music playing at school, picnics, in the clubs, how many parties in your lifetime ?
Decades of impact.

Last edited by a moderator:

polystyle

Just checked only a few minutes of that one , but I don't think that's the one I mention -
looks fine tho'

This one is / was on VH 1 ( yeah, not a fav ch. ), great stories with Quincy, M J , Miles ...
and Quincy's sons & daughters.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I think a big reason so many people are so shocked by this, despite their actual feelings on the guy, is because Michael Jackson is both one of the most famous people in the world and totally fucking impossible to understand. In an age where people wish to virtually devour their celebrities, put them in isolation with cameras and get right into their brains, Michael has remained up in the tower, some arch-mage of improbability.

If anything the only way you can really understand that man is as a parable of someone who flew too high and, instead of getting burnt by the sun and falling back down to earth, got sucked right out into the vacuum of space.

nochexxx

harco pronting
If anything the only way you can really understand that man is as a parable of someone who flew too high and, instead of getting burnt by the sun and falling back down to earth, got sucked right out into the vacuum of space.

excellent synopsis!