Michael

petergunn

plywood violin
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Thankfully, today's BBC Wimbledon coverage has discussed this great loss- RF and Serena Williams making emotional comments. We have been promised some music to play us out

vimothy

yurp
Rumours that Jackson had a heart attack are incorrect; he was found having a stroke in a children's ward.

zhao

there are no accidents
we had a big group moment of silence at the trainstation coming back from fusion...

vimothy

yurp
Jacko isn't going to be cremated, he's going to be turned into Asda plastic bags. That way, he can continue to be white, plastic, and dangerous to children.

craner

Beast of Burden
I'm ambivalent about all this.

But my thing is: Motown show, in 83, when I was 4 and didn't see it, but some critic said, "Jackson walked up onto stage a washed-up child star, and left the stage a Superstar."

With that context, and this being before 'Bille Jean' had even been heard, let alone seen, it's quite something:

Much as I say he's sinister.

craner

Beast of Burden
I know, but it seems the world's gone MAD and isn't ambivalent at all, and it's getting weird and silly and creepy....

gumdrops

its the story thats going to keep on giving. of course the media (esp the 24 hr media) love it, even if they seem to have forgotten what news journalism is meant to be about...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I know, but it seems the world's gone MAD and isn't ambivalent at all, and it's getting weird and silly and creepy....

D'you think so? I just think it's a totally logical reaction to the death of the most famous person on the planet.

massrock

craner said:
But my thing is: Motown show, in 83, when I was 4 and didn't see it, but some critic said, "Jackson walked up onto stage a washed-up child star, and left the stage a Superstar."
It that supposed to be the mythical moment then?

I never quite understood how that happened, where the transition to megastar was. The Jackson 5 were always there and I was aware of the Off The Wall stuff and liked it but then all of a sudden he was the King Of Pop. I didn't understand that either, at the time I wouldn't have classified his music as pop.

Thriller was the first thing I can remember taping on VHS. It was that and the pirate copy of Enter The Dragon.

petergunn

plywood violin
It that supposed to be the mythical moment then?

I never quite understood how that happened, where the transition to megastar was. The Jackson 5 were always there and I was aware of the Off The Wall stuff and liked it but then all of a sudden he was the King Of Pop. I didn't understand that either, at the time I wouldn't have classified his music as pop.

Thriller was the first thing I can remember taping on VHS. It was that and the pirate copy of Enter The Dragon.

it was a magic moment for sure, an unveiling of his complete image, but to say he was a washed up child star b4 it was insane... Off the Wall was a HUGE record... 4 top 10 hits in the USA, the first record to do so... it had sold about 5 Million copies b4 Thriller came out, so it wasn't as if America was like Michael who?

i think the video era helped him cross over, as well as the fact that Thriller is def both poppier and more rock than OTW.... i think OTW is a more enjoyable front to back LP...

alot of it was also the right person for the cultural zeitgesit of the time...

anyways, i agree w/ most of you... the MJ i knew as i kid (already quite removed from his J5 incarnation, where the depth of emotion in his vocals is eerie for a child) seems to have been gone for a long time... in his place is some weird looking and weird acting humanoid who probably did some things w/ young boys that were not on the up and up... so, it is hard to get "sad" about this, as he has been a living trainwreck for at least 15 years...

petergunn

plywood violin

gumdrops

can you feel it (with the jacksons basically playing god) is one of the best videos ever.

MJ was already/still a star before motown 25, but that performance really made his arrival as a solo artist in his own right (not just part of the jacksons doing solo albums) official.

CHAOTROPIC

on account

That Can You Feel It video is just the greatest thing ever & totally blasphemous & surreal & brilliant. My favourite MJ moment. It's amazing how good he was as a kid vocalist ... the whole track just lifts the second he starts singing. Head & shoulders above his siblings. Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

EDIT: saving the world with the power of Ready Brek. Throw in the Tellytubby sun & some pederasty & it's kindof a microcosm of Jackson's creepy/beautiful starchild career.

Last edited:
This is a Michael Jackson/ Jackson 5 mixtape I have had since I was 4 or so.

part 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/993l4s
part 2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ymxm2d

I think I know who gave it to me but had no idea who actually mixed it. there are some good segues that I thought were beyond the capabilities of a DJ in the mid 80's home counties, though there are other bits where the next track has been thrown in really messily. Turns out it was this DMC release...
http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson--Jackson-5-The-Michael-Jackson-Mix/release/714034
... and the car crashes are down to the person taping it flicking past tracks they didnt like. The more obscure tracks on it interest me more than the big hits

Ain't No Sunshine
One Day In Your Life
Never Can Say Goodbye
Got To Be There
Happy
I'll Be There
We're Almost There
People Make The World Go Round
Who's Lovin' You
Music & Me
Call On Me
You've Got A Friend