Jackin' / Electroline

wise

bare BARE BONES
Wise: nice to see you getting aboard! That's funny about you not listening to them with sub :s Also like saying the trax are too slow, when you can pitch them up as fast as you like!
You working on any mixes?

Well i'm a Dad of 2 one of whom is only 3 weeks old (born New Years Day morning) so my time is not really my own at the moment. The best I can do most of the time is playing tunes on my laptop on youtube or through VLC with a baby balanced on one arm.
Not much potential for mixing pitching or subs....

Yeah, been thinking to do a mix when I get time, building up a nice little selection of tunes now

benw

do you know what the problem with jacking is? Unlike everything else it's being compared to, if i'm in a club and i hear a jacking tune, I can't be 100% that it's jacking. And that's purely down to the fact that at the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't sound that different to certain types of house music. Just my opinion like... But you'd never hear someone say that about dubstep, funky, grime, bassline etc.

wise

bare BARE BONES
that's probably because it is a type of house music

I took someone to see Lady Sovereign years back (when she was still good) they said to me what did you call this "Grime"? it's just Garage isn't it....

I've also heard people express surprise at early UKG tunes cos "they sound just like US Garage don't they, kind of hard to see much difference"

If you think of Jackin as a strain of House rather than some totally new nuum form it's easier to get your head around (and appreciate it).
Jackin's just a lot better and more fun than all the House peddling Dubstep jumpers, who's music it's also difficult to tell apart from other House music.

datwun

Well i'm a Dad of 2 one of whom is only 3 weeks old (born New Years Day morning) so my time is not really my own at the moment. The best I can do most of the time is playing tunes on my laptop on youtube or through VLC with a baby balanced on one arm.
Not much potential for mixing pitching or subs....

Yeah, been thinking to do a mix when I get time, building up a nice little selection of tunes now

Fair enough! Looking forward to the mix though!

do you know what the problem with jacking is? Unlike everything else it's being compared to, if i'm in a club and i hear a jacking tune, I can't be 100% that it's jacking. And that's purely down to the fact that at the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't sound that different to certain types of house music. Just my opinion like... But you'd never hear someone say that about dubstep, funky, grime, bassline etc.

Isn't absolutely everything genre bending ATM? I would say that jackin actually has a very coherent sound pallet, and an even more coherent vibe, certainly more so that UK bass. For one you never find samples so brazen, whether they're old cheesy pop (Screwface - Icey/Scandalous) or hilarious quotes from films (Brent Kilner - Too Bad/Narcotics, Double Trouble & Lorenzo - Drugs, Peter Graham & Lorenzo - East Harlem Shakedown) in other contemporary musics. The last time sampling was used like this was back in 'ardcore. On top of that its basslines are just way tuffer than anything coming out of house.

Also, I've never heard a massive tune drop on a dancefloor and thought I CAN'T ENJOY THIS I DON'T KNOW WHAT GENRE IT IS...

that's probably because it is a type of house music

If you think of Jackin as a strain of House rather than some totally new nuum form it's easier to get your head around (and appreciate it).
Jackin's just a lot better and more fun than all the House peddling Dubstep jumpers, who's music it's also difficult to tell apart from other House music.

Yeah, it obviously is a type of house music, but I totally disagree re the nuum thing! Like, I feel the exact opposite. For me it's all of those nuumy signifiers - like hardcore synth washes and breakbeat snatches, garage inflictions in the drum patterns and vocal science, the fact that this tune breaks off into Craig David seemingly for the hell of it - - all the ragga samples, the presence of the MCs, the fact that apart from chart pop and hip hop it's all old Niche and 2-step vocals getting reworked, all the overtones of speed garage (and donk!!!) in the bass line,

THESE are what make jackin different to international house music. Jackin might be the most compliant to house's rhythmic structure of any nuum genre (more so than even speed garage and funky) but it more than offsets that by being totally ram-packed with all the tricks and ticks learned from 25 years of nuum music, by sounding like both a condensation of all of the nuum's history AND it's own thing.

Love love love that hoe trap tune though! Proper tripped me out when it slows down. Actually bigtunes is on fire at the moment! Copped nearly 20 tracks.

All the Paul Lawrence ones are banging
This one's danger: anyone got the ID on the vocal, I know I know it from somewhere...

Hybrid Theory 0483
http://www.bigtunesmp3.co.uk/#/tunes/0483-bigtunes-exclusive-by-hybrid-theory/#2
love the weird wobbly minimalism of this one, it's barely any more than just drums and bass.

Ill Phill & Loz - Hungry for the Powder
lol, love the stupid pun. You'd probably call this somewhere between jackin and 'bass'. I absolutely love the bass on it though, you hear it in a few other tracks but it's like it's 'more rounded' than usual or something, closer to a donk than a warp.

datwun

Also, Tom Zanetti's facebook delivering the goods again:

Wen ur absolutely bubbly skankin to urself in the gym, and don't even realise how much ur goin off until a randomer pulls ur earfone out n asks wot ur listening to haaa onereligion vol.14 doin ittttt :)

loads of good pics of him and his son in matching outfits too. pure badman

benw

Completely different answers there from @wise and @datwun. to be honest wise i kind of agree with you on that one, i think we're coming from (sort of) the same angle - whereas datwun - i was more kind of responding to the stuff i've seen you and a few others say on the thread.

You know what i do think it's a shame that i just don't 'get' it - especially as i'm a big fan of bassline and would really like a new northern house variant in my life. but jacking just ain't doing it for me.

wise

bare BARE BONES
what I meant is that "the next phase of the hardcore continuum" is a very heavy yoke for a new genre to bear.
If that's what you're listening out for you're bound to be disappointed.

datwun

Completely different answers there from @wise and @datwun. to be honest wise i kind of agree with you on that one, i think we're coming from (sort of) the same angle - whereas datwun - i was more kind of responding to the stuff i've seen you and a few others say on the thread.

You know what i do think it's a shame that i just don't 'get' it - especially as i'm a big fan of bassline and would really like a new northern house variant in my life. but jacking just ain't doing it for me.

I suppose for me it's just that lots of people seem ready to jettison the nuum model, and also in the specific context of dissensus there have been so many debates about it over the years that I reckon even just describing a genre in those terms brings with it some of the antagonisms, baggage, and by now, tedium of those those debates to bare of the music itself. Whereas for me those nuumy bits just jump right out, and I find it exciting seeming them in this new context of music that I really love.

Then again, part of it's just horses for courses, part of it's the context you've been introduced to the music. It took me a while to stop thinking 'so this is just northern electro house, right'.

Still, I find it difficult to imagine how someone who loved bassline could dislike jackin. I suppose jackin's a bit 'cooler' in its self imagine, its bass lines less wacky, and perhaps sounds less like MDMA and more like ket than bassline.

I'd give it a go in a club context though - pretty much and 2:31 or Sleepin is Cheatin night you can think of is bound to be banging if you're up north, and if you're a Londoner you'll be able to hear some at Marcus Nasty's next Rinse show at the Vibe Bar on the 6th of Feb. It's rave music and it sounds best on a fuck off giant sound system, pitched up, in the mix and preferably with an MC on top.

what I meant is that "the next phase of the hardcore continuum" is a very heavy yoke for a new genre to bear.
If that's what you're listening out for you're bound to be disappointed.

I suppose from the listeners perspective one could (though definitely need not) find their enjoyment of jackin diminished by comparison to the more radical innovations of garage, jungle etc.

The scene itself isn't bothered though, it's clearly conceptualises itself as both a part of the wider house scene (which is perhaps a bit delusional giving the institution of house's size, conservatism, and for the most part disdain of stuff from the UK) as well as a tradition reaching back through bassline, garage, hardcore etc, but lacks any kind of hangups, any anxiety of influence, and just revels in using past elements to its own contemporary ends.

wise

bare BARE BONES
I'm finding the variety in Jackin is making it what I always wanted Bassline to be more like.
If that makes sense....

datwun

I'm finding the variety in Jackin is making it what I always wanted Bassline to be more like.
If that makes sense....

Definitely get you. Before I knew about bassline it was introduced to me by friends as 'this is bassline, it's all wicked and it all sounds the same'. Might be a little unfair but it was a common refrain I've heard from both fans and critics.

Need to trawl through my jackin folder to find them but there are a couple of tracks which do absolutely amazing things with the bass line. Like literally every note will be played with a different sound, cycling through like a wobble, a warp, an electro sawtooth, a jackin owl-donk etc.

Also it seems like jackin won't necessarily need to go through a darkside stage because it already has really dark techy tracks, big bouncing gyal tunes, hip-hop influenced MC tracks etc.

Edit, just for shits and giggles I was using the 'find word' option on my browser to see what percent of charting bigtunes have Lorenzo on the buttons. On any given week he's likely to have his name on some 8-10 of the top 40 tracks, though back in Dec/November he had a couple of weeks where he was involved in half the tracks charting (19/40). Man's a don

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Heard a booty like this in a Hannah Wants set so I knocked one up, it's not Jackin but fits in a Jackin set so here you go.
Free DL

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">

Sounds great!

btw you need to clear your inbox mate

datwun

**ANNOUNCEMENT** The track 'INSOMNIA' sung by MAXI JAZZ from Faithless was one of the inspirations behind first starting Sleepin' Is Cheatin'. It is arguably the greatest dance record of all time. An ultimate goal and dream of ours was to have Faithless perform this track live at one of our parties, that dream was sadly squashed when Faithless split up in 2011. However, after almost a year of negotiating, viewings of videos, seeing the pictures, and looking into the event, MAXI JAZZ has agreed to a very rare one-off live PA of 'Insomnia' on Sunday 31st March for Insomni-Fest at Beaverworks. No words can or will do this justice, it has to be experienced, a must for any lover of house music. Forget reality, impossible is now, welcome to Insomni-Fest 2013 x

--------------

Aha, Blackdown would love this! ;)

Looks absolutely mad though! It's a massive tune too, never noticed the garage-housey snares and highhats in the drops. Bit more interesting than your usual KICK KICK KICK KICK of trance

Last edited: