METAL! Discuss

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I like to maintain that 'Abstract Nympho' is proto techstep. It's also one of the best song titles ever.

Chris

fractured oscillations
There's an awful lot of false metal in this thread! I like my stoner bands but it's not metal. ;)

True, but it's interesting because the definition of "True Metal" is constantly being contested and re-written... early Metal, in it's bluesier incarnations from the late 60s through late 70s (when Judas Priest changed the game), pretty much was what we'd call Stoner Rock now (or even proto-Grunge in some ways). Then, branching out from NWOBHM/punk, the Speed/Thrash guys made Metal all about speed/brutality/stoicism in reaction to Hair/Glam... with Death then further emphasizing brutality/violence and Black being all about the Evil and Medieval... anyways... all of these reactionary gestures in effect put Metal in a place where it was all extremely self-serious and had to be super-fast, edgy, evil/nihilistic/whatever, by the early-90s (back when I was seriously into it), to the point that there was almost a sigh of relief to more casual fans when Grunge came out because kids didn't have to be so damn serious and Catholic about it all...

However... "True" Metal going underground was in hindsight, probably the best thing that could have happened, because when the whole Harder/Faster/Stronger/Better tragectory (sorry) fizzled out, Metal had more time to brood, reflect, explore textures, atmospheres and terrains... Kind of bringing it to where we are now, since Black has gone through it's "spiritual" phase, it's gotten so misanthropingly inward-looking that it's practically turned into a, well not Dream-"Pop" of course but def head music, an inner-expanse where the individualist can survey the cold, ancient landscapes or commune with nature spirits in the mist... taking Metal back to a form of dark psychedelia... add to that the return of Doom, and Stoner Rock bands touring with the more heady Black Metal bands, or sitting next to them on labels like Southern Lord, and it's starting to feel like Metal's come full circle...

But Nu/Rap-Metal, that shit will always be False Metal dammit.

N

nomadologist

True, but it's interesting because the definition of "True Metal" is constantly being contested and re-written... early Metal, in it's bluesier incarnations from the late 60s through late 70s (when Judas Priest changed the game), pretty much was what we'd call Stoner Rock now (or even proto-Grunge in some ways). Then, branching out from NWOBHM/punk, the Speed/Thrash guys made Metal all about speed/brutality/stoicism in reaction to Hair/Glam... with Death then further emphasizing brutality/violence and Black being all about the Evil and Medieval... anyways... all of these reactionary gestures in effect put Metal in a place where it was all extremely self-serious and had to be super-fast, edgy, evil/nihilistic/whatever, by the early-90s (back when I was seriously into it), to the point that there was almost a sigh of relief to more casual fans when Grunge came out because kids didn't have to be so damn serious and Catholic about it all...

However... "True" Metal going underground was in hindsight, probably the best thing that could have happened, because when the whole Harder/Faster/Stronger/Better tragectory (sorry) fizzled out, Metal had more time to brood, reflect, explore textures, atmospheres and terrains... Kind of bringing it to where we are now, since Black has gone through it's "spiritual" phase, it's gotten so misanthropingly inward-looking that it's practically turned into a, well not Dream-"Pop" of course but def head music, an inner-expanse where the individualist can survey the cold, ancient landscapes or commune with nature spirits in the mist... taking Metal back to a form of dark psychedelia... add to that the return of Doom, and Stoner Rock bands touring with the more heady Black Metal bands, or sitting next to them on labels like Southern Lord, and it's starting to feel like Metal's come full circle...

But Nu/Rap-Metal, that shit will always be False Metal dammit.

All of this is interesting (and I think I agree with you) given how for so long metalheads were more associated with speed and an anti-psychedelic sort of ethos, esp. people like Lemmy Kilmister who of course is well-known for abandoning psychedelia for metal and hating hippies (even though he took plenty of psychedelic drugs on top of speed...)

zhao

there are no accidents
huh I've always thought of them as post-punk

correction: when i said 1977 i meant 1973. which means they were not "post" anything, and pre-everything.

i don't lissen to it anymore but still quite like stuff like Godflesh and that one Praxis album Sacrifist and early Scorn. i guess it would be industrial metal or whatever. i like the streamlined cleanliness, consistent chugging, and heaviness without romanticism. and no guitar solos.

but slayer is still great after all these years huh? haven't changed at all. i don't mind their solos so much... so fast it's a blur.

Chris

fractured oscillations
All of this is interesting (and I think I agree with you) given how for so long metalheads were more associated with speed and an anti-psychedelic sort of ethos, esp. people like Lemmy Kilmister who of course is well-known for abandoning psychedelia for metal and hating hippies (even though he took plenty of psychedelic drugs on top of speed...)

Totally... In a way, Lemmy's career could almost be seen as an analogy for the streamlined way Metal evolved, come to think of it! The guy is like Metal History personified, bless 'im.

zhao

there are no accidents
nice video. gotta admire the conviction of guys like that. i do believe that some parts of their rhetoric, as simple minded as it is, is entirely valid. the anti-modernity and anti-society bits.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
Picture076.jpg
:cool:

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah it's strange how those Godflesh records still sound good today (or would sound good if i played them shall we say), where as other things along those lines from that time period sound like straight up kaka (KMFDM yikes)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
When I was in High School it was all about Converge, particularly the album Jane Doe.

Still love Converge to this day.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
yeah it's strange how those Godflesh records still sound good today (or would sound good if i played them shall we say), where as other things along those lines from that time period sound like straight up kaka (KMFDM yikes)

Hmm. Dunno about this, I find a lot of Justin Broadrick's stuff (including recent Jesu stuff) sounds rather thin and tinny in comparison to some of the more thickly textured shoe-drone-metal (especially Nadja) that's come out since.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Where do people buy all the new metal stuff? online? I can never find these albums people talk about in real life.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Heard this the other day and thought it was pretty great, if you like the sort of thing.
Kind of black metal motorik, ridiculously single-minded and dank sounding. Reminded me of German Oak if you know that record. Sombre but grooving in a way.

ALUK TODOLO - 'Descension'

REPOSELP015.jpg

Benny Bunter

Wot, no mention of Melvins yet?!

They've done absolutely tons of good albums, including their most recent one (with two drummers, the name escapes me).

Pigs of the Roman Empire, their collab. with Lustmord would have to be my fave though. There's one riff in particular that keeps coming in and out during the album thats just the best balls-out metal riff ever. Oh, and Lysol, a total doom monster that influenced Earth/Sunn/Boris and all them. Great band the Melvins...They're metal to the core, but coming out of the Hardcore punk scene they really stand apart from it.

Which leads me to Thrones. Solo Joe Preston with brilliant spaz-metal drum machine, also recommended.

lowest form

Wild Horses
Hi, this is my first post - I'm practically puking with happiness at finding this message board!

Anyway, metal; i like a lot. I got into it through AC/DC, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden before discovering Earache and particularly Godflesh. I've always been very into whatever Justin Broadrick is doing as well as Mick Harris, Kevin Martin, James Plotkin, and the other more out there original Earache people. It was a great time to be getting into extreme metal just as Earache started releasing much more wiggy stuff. Like a lot of people, the cheap Grind Crusher tape compilation snared me and introduced me to Death, Grind, Industrial and much more. Almost straight after they started releasing stuff like Old's 'Lo Flux Tube', Scorn's 'Vae Solis' and Naked City's 'Torture Garden', which have all helped shape my taste in experimental music.

Nowadays, I'll take anything 'metal' if it works for me; could be poodle, NWOBH, black, ambient, stoner... whatever and like all things I'd love to hear much more than I do.

People I listen to a lot at the moment are:

Brutal Truth
Capricorns
Car Bomb
Clutch
Converge
Cult of Luna
Dillinger Escape Plan
Goatsnake
God (anatomy of addiction is seriously metal in places)
Godflesh
Made Out of Babies
Mare (beyond music, let alone metal)
Neurosis
Red Sparowes (def not metal but amazing nonetheless)
Single Unit (metal in a cartoon shredder)
Sunn 0)))
Melvins (not metal but might as well be, especially the last album)