JME: next stop the world

mos dan

fact music
does anyone know or wanna take an educated guess at how much £££ jme's making off mixtapes, merch etc?

i mean is it pocket money? breaking even? a half-decent amount?

tox

Factory Girl
for the 1000th time...F*** A CROSSOVER!

Despite the fact I said in my previous post that JME was the "perfect cross over artist" I perhaps actually rather agree wth Tactics here. While imho JME is worthy of chart success, I think it's more likely that he'll attain a kind of cult status with kids, clubbers/ravers and students. That would be enough for him to have "blown up." The chances of him becoming mainstream to the extent of say Amy Winehouse is unlikely, even in the most optimistic view.

What's more likely is that for UK Hip-Hoppers he'll end up on the same tier as Kalashnekoff, you'll hear his tunes coming out of mp3 phones on the bus and he'll be playing mid-size festivals and studenty venues. That would still be a big look for Grime.

If BBK could get the exposure for Grime that Dubstep seems to already have then it would pretty much have blown up. Dubstep is converting the DnB crew and getting pitchforked, wired, played by Villalobos. If Grime could attain a status equivalent to that then perhaps thats enough... Maybe that's what people think JME can do.

I don't see why JME shouldn't end up as big as well known as Uffie, New Young Pony Club, Shitdisco, Metronomy or any of these other small to mid size bands that are pretty well known, do their own thing and sit on the edge of the mainstream.

i dont want grime to blow. it may sound elitist but i dont want the world and his mum to be playing JME mixtapes cos then it'll all have gone to shit. This is marginal music, its what makes it interesting/exciting/challenging. take that away and your left with pop. id love to see grime artists make a decent wage so that people like rapid dont have to work in tesco's or whatever but the minute the money starts to really roll in then the vitality dies. just look at dubstep, yeah it was exciting a year ago, now the quality of tunes is slipping, things are beginning to sound homogenous, its getting boring. i dont want that to happen with grime

xenon

Wild Horses
A legendary figure with an undeniable catalog of classics that spans more than 20 years? One.

Well, I obviously meant LL from 1985. Not today.

And as an aside, I'd like to apologize for being bit rowdy on here earlier, I was quite drunk.

Last edited:

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I'm with tactics.

I see the independent route as the main way forward for the next few years. Grime needs to solidify its own fanbase in the inner city, get people buying mixcds, tshirts, ringtones etc and supporting their own local artists before setting sights on anything else.

But yes, I think JME and Skepta are the most likely to succeed. They're young, charismatic, fun, hard working and both wicked MCs and producers. And I agree, initially I wasnt that interested in JME because of his flow but I actually listen to Derkhead a lot and really enjoy it. 96 Bars of JME with Grime Reaper is a classic, as is the song where he's talking to his mum about the birthday party.

viktorvaughn

Plus, for whatever reason, they have had the dubstep embargo lifted and are permitted to go FWD. It's pretty much just them two and Newham Gens that ever go right?

tox and sizzle get what I mean

its not like at that level and status he can't make cake, build a legacy plus brand and still make progressive hits

plus his head won't get big or get too much dough to turn everything ass up and collab with natalie imbruglia lol!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
JME's birthday party tonight at FWD>> ft. Joker (!!!!), Plastician, Maximum and Loefah. IT'S A LOT... who's reaching?

Snaps

snaps
This joker is good.
All his productions seem to be much fuller and richer than most of the minimal stripped down production of other Grime producers.

Is he a DJ too?

gumdrops

his production is fuller and richer, yeah. theres a weird buoyancy to his beats and kind of a funkiness that i like too.

STN

sou'wester
This joker is good.
All his productions seem to be much fuller and richer than most of the minimal stripped down production of other Grime producers.

Is he a DJ too?

Yeah, I've seen him DJ in Bristol. It was very good actually.

Snaps

snaps
I've been wondering: is he Grime or Dubstep?
He's got that dubstep groove in abundance, but all the Grime guys seem to be jumping on him as well.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
JME is big but I always preferred (like 90% of MCs) to hear him in a crew context trading 16 bars while DJs do super fast mixing. There he is a wicked counterbalance to the more flow-y slew oriented guys.

I'd give it a go but I can't see myself getting into a whole set or album of JME or whatever - in fact there are very few who can hold it like that. Maybe Dizzee, Wiley and possibly Skepta.