JME: next stop the world

john eden

male pale and stale
plastician said:
There was far too much aggressive skankin going on at the front - when gift touched mic i literally had to catch the mixer from falling off the booth.

A few people were getting too carried away - skanking is all good but one guy was literally jumping into people and shit - he was wearing a skeleton hoodie.

I'm sure he meant no harm but he was proper launching himself into people.

At this point all hell was breaking loose and Sarah needed to calm things down so asked the mc's to go on one at a time rather than all at the same time.

how is it that i can go to a night featuring jme, skepta, gg, fuda, footsie, and jammer, with plastician, maximum, tubby, loe and joker selecting, and still feel disappointed? i guess it's because for five minutes there i saw what grime can be, but the disappointment stems from the fact that it was for five minutes only. i'm slightly upset to think that that's as hype as it's ever going to be allowed to get tbh.

no way was that a disappointing night. most of the mc's murked it and footsie literally ran away with crown. tubby's selection wasnt bad at all - but yeah i wish they had kept it hype for a bit longer but someone wouldve got hurt

Snaps

snaps
Why the fuck is it that there is this fear of overexcitement. It doesn't happen at a football match or at indie gigs ( but the same levels aren't reached I suppose.)

The same thing happened when BBK played at canterbury uni. They played Duppy and wiley, skepta and Jme destroyed it and the place erupted. And just as it was getting really good Skepta demanded that maximum stop the tune and warned the crowd to calm.

It's well annoying that there is a confidence to just push through and see what happens rathere than fearing it.

The only time I've seen consistent energy at a grime rave was the last Staraight out of bethnal at 333 when Ghetto, scorcher, wiley, footsie and skepta were all present. That night smacked it. Until Fuda guy got attacked by some stupid idiot in the crowd.

Such a shame, because it is grime's ability to release energy and excitement that sets it apart from other music.

mms

sometimes
surely you know very well why there are these problems, because everyone must tip toe around the police's perception of what happens when grime goes off.

it must be hard enough for fwd to put on nights with grime artists, even though fwd is very long established, there have also been a few minor probs there before which didn't make grime mcs popular with those who ran the place, and esp as well if fuda guy got attacked by someone in the crowd... it;s always more exciting when the balance between grime and dubstep at fwd is tested, ups everyone's game on energy, outtherness etc.. i missed the bleedin thing though.

Snaps

snaps
everyone must tip toe around the police's perception of what happens when grime goes off.

I agree completely with you. All I'm saying is that imagine, irrespective of the reality, that the energy was just allowed to build and vibrate and flow, it would lead to insane levels which in turn must translate into more interest, sales, media reportage and general happiness to all those witnessing. It's just that nights like this show what is possible. Just the sheer level that can be reached, as you were saying. I suppose it's just an inch by inch situation whereby places like FWD can show that it is possible to have Grime and not cause mayhem (apart from the good nuts skanking kind.)

Does anybody else agree that Mc's over dubstep really works. More dubstep vocaled and vinyled maybe?

It's just that nights like this show what is possible. Just the sheer level that can be reached?

this was definately a good night for the scene - more of these are whats needed - how can a scene thrive with practically no opportunities to showcase the talent out there? more grime nights at fwd please! or maybe a grime night at plastik people?

Does anybody else agree that Mc's over dubstep really works. More dubstep vocaled and vinyled maybe?

in moderation - for example Plasticmans set with skepta over it wasnt as good as it could have been because he just played dubstep, then a token cha. Mc's liven dubstep up no doubt but i'd still much rather hear them over Joker or a new footsie/tubby beat.

still, the mc's were calling for tortured to be pulled up like mad, and that benga tune i dont know the name of

Snaps

snaps
[QUOTE in moderation [/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't want the dub sound and feel swapped out by gun talk and just any old fraff.
But the exuberance does give it new life.

On the point of introspective grime ( I know I have to tread lightly here cos a lot of u's don't like that kind of grime but...) does any of you agree that it would be suited better to dubstep.
It seems to me that dubstep tunes have an ability to call up a greater range of emotions and sensations than grime. In the way that the sound is more subtle and less ardently sharp than grime.

Say for instance: Wiley. He's done a whole bag of introspective tunes and I think that his lyrics are often let down by the tunes he chooses to Mc them over. The beats he chooses just don't resonate on deeper levels I feel. Imagine him over the Coki tortured dub. Or Cotti's Sensi dub. That would bring a lot more out I think. ANd he'd make them sound, in weird way, better.

I think that's what footsie does well with his Rasta man grew, Rast man___ and a rasta man, and a rasta man beat me when I was rude. I think that works well.

Anyway I reckon dubstep vocalled but not just for the sake of making the lyrics sound heavy. Instead trying to draw lyrics out of the tunes themselves. the rhythm, bass, etc.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Can someone explain to me why, if a rave is going off and everyone's enjoying it, would you tell the MCs to stop, try and slow it down?
Makes no sense at all.

It seems a bit ridiculous, yes, but remember, grime MCs really have to be careful about totally not digging their own graves. They have a lot of winning left to do on the public relations front. An incident at FWD wouldn't really be the best thing for any of them if they want to continue being successful as grime artists.

Sucks, but it is what it is and I'm glad that Skepta understands that. He seems, unlike countless other grime artists, genuinly concerned about pushing the scene as a whole forward.

Immryr

i find it funny how a year or so ago, maybe two, it was a big look for dubstep getting some grime MCs on down at FWD, and now, since the breezeblock thing, its grime MCs who are grateful of the chance to MC at dubstep nights.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Grateful? No. Skepta and JME just go down there cos they enjoy it. They don't do it for promotion or any need for exposure, they enjoy the music.

ripley

Grateful? No. Skepta and JME just go down there cos they enjoy it. They don't do it for promotion or any need for exposure, they enjoy the music.

wow that sounds nice.

Usually MCs go out because they enjoy the sound of their own voices, and the dj might as well be a clicktrack or a jukebox.

wow that sounds nice.

Usually MCs go out because they enjoy the sound of their own voices, and the dj might as well be a clicktrack or a jukebox.

i think thats way too harsh - loads of mc's have plenty of respect for dj's - and in quite a few cases the dj is as valued as the mc's, think newham gens/tubby, essentials/bossman, roll deep/target,maximum,carnage

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Good MCs over dubstep can be fantastic. It's almost a new hybrid - by which I mean I don't necessarily want MCs over, say, a Mala set, unless it's Pokes or Space Ape, because I want the focus resolutely on his tunes. Dubstep as a backdrop to MCs is something else.

Wheras bad MCs over dubstep is just a nightmare.

But yeah, MCs and vocals over dubstep is a really good look. I really want some female vocals on a dubstep track, too.

john eden

male pale and stale
in moderation - for example Plasticmans set with skepta over it wasnt as good as it could have been because he just played dubstep, then a token cha. Mc's liven dubstep up no doubt but i'd still much rather hear them over Joker or a new footsie/tubby beat.

I agree! I mean, fair enough it is basically a dubstep night now, but there did seem to be a bit of reluctance to stretch out and play many grime tunes...

I remain unconvinced about much of the music, but the MCs were great, Joker was great, the crowd was great. Loefah kicked off with a new Bug tune called "Skeng" which was bloody massive and featured Flowdan and Killa P. I'm looking forward to hearing it all again on mp3 tonight.

I think that all the focus on things going woooooooohm wooooooooooohm woooooooohm doesn't leave much room for anything else, even MC chat.

Last edited:
I agree! I mean, fair enough it is basically a dubstep night now, but there did seem to be a bit of reluctance to stretch out and play many grime tunes...

although, joker did drop Skepta's Autopsy and i went absolutely mad to that though i got some confused looks :D

mos dan

fact music

i think in plastic's case it was part of the 'calm it down' process after gg and skepta sent the place mental. a bit disappointing though - i was standing there thinking 'this is supposed to be the grimey fwd - so why are plastic, tubby, and even maxi (to an extent) playing so much dubstep?' tubby's basically a dubstep dj now, no wonder he keeps getting booked for fwd.

loefah was great though i gotta say. loved the wall of sound business, and obv that bug/flowdan/killa p track. loefah's set and kode9's techy set at platform 1 in march have restored my faith in dubstep a bit.

this week's fwd features appleblim and a THREE HOUR n-type set. christ. from the sublime to the monotonous...

btw sorry i lost you john, and sorry i wittered rather tipsily to you martin&david.