Rinse FM Sets

mos dan

fact music
*salivates*

you lot ARE awesome, let me reiterate. i won't have access to my stock of mp3s for a while yet still.. sigh. when i do i'll bump and post (sounds like a groovy new dance innit).

Early Dubstep business

Here's an amazing 1 hour set J Da flex & Juiceman did on the Dreem Teem's late night Sunday show in Summer 2001, sometime between June & September, around the time of FWD's first night, not that it's mentioned.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kdngzv

This starts off and ends perfectly, Juiceman MC's as if his life depends on it (well different from his current D&B & Hip Hop mediocrity). Definitely one of my favourite sets.

J Da Flex on Dreem Teem Presents, Radio1 July/August/September 2001

EL-B- J Da Flex Intro
Alley Cats- Cover Me (EL-B’s instrumental mix) (Locked On Dubplate)
S&Z- Def Moves (Sidestepper)
Darqwan- As We Enta (Soulja)
Groove Chronicles- Millennium Funk (Kinky Fox)
Unknown- Unknown (love to ID this???)
Sovereign- (Southside)
Zed Bias, Ms Dynamite, Sweetie Irie & Spee- Battle of the MC’s Part 2 (Middlerow)
The Streets- Has it Come to This? (Zed Bias remix) (Locked On)
Daniel Bedingfield- Gotta Get Thru This (D’N’D remix) (Relentless)
Mis-teeq- One Night Stand (Agent X remix) (Telstar)
Middlerow- Today’s the Day (Cooltempo/Middlerow)
3rd Edge- In and Out (Jaimeson 2-Step remix) (Dubplate)
Wookie/Exemen- ??? (possibly Far East)
Darqwan- Confused (Texture)
Roots Manuva- Dreamy Days (MJ Cole remix) (Big Dada)
Jammin- Hello (Bingo Beats)
Naughty- Pussy Trak (DJ Hype Darkside mix) (Naughty)}
Menta- Sound of da Future (Sound of da Future)
Jameson- Urban Hero (Lifestyle)
EL-B & Juiceman- Buck & Bury (Tempa)
Agent X- ??? later used as the backing track to Kele Le Roc’s Skank (Heatseaker Dubplate)
possibly Blaze- Check One (Associates)
Nithin Sawney- Cold & Intimate (Landslide remix) (V2)
EL-Tuff- Deep Deep Love (unreleased mix) (2tuf 4u Dubplate)

The last tune is the most fucked up 4/4 Garage tune of all time, Karl Brown was given a few oppurtunites to release this, but this is the only time I've heard it, presumably few know it exists

If this links expires then send me an email and I'll re-up it and all my other ones: owen.griffiths@btinternet.com

viktorvaughn

^Looks ace! Is Juiceman still called the same? Heard 'Evil B' on some dnb the other day and it's B-Live's new thing. Still not very good.

A 2 hour Hatcha set from the 2004 Xtra Garage weekend. Pretty bad sound quality, at times you have to imagine the bass, but worn out Big Apple dubs circa '04 dont grow on trees so you should give it a try.

Part 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/u5723c
The breaks are there for one I've chopped off 1Xtra's hourly news bulletins (even at 7 in the morning!)

Part 2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6cu68u
The final tape chewed up so the set is missing the last 25 minutes or so, but if I remember it wasnt great.

Hatcha & Crazy D on the Xtra Garage Weekend, 18th of July 04

PART ONE
Mala- Conference (Soul Jazz)
Mala- Give Jah Glory (Tempa)
Loefah- Twis Up (DMZ)
Loefah- Indian Dub (Big Apple Records)
Mala- Pathways (remix) (orig on Big Apple Records)
Coki- The Edit
Benga- Skank 2004 (2003 mix on Big Apple Records)
Skream- Traitor (Ital Beats)
Break
Benga- Pulse
Skream- Bad Seed
Loefah- Bombay Squad (Grime 2 compo, Rephlex)
Coki- Jah Fire
Coki- Country Man (Grime 2 compo, Rephlex)

PART TWO
Benga- Star Wars (The Hatcha VIP) (Tempa)
Benga- Untitled
Benga- Mammoth (Plasticman remix)
Benga- Blood (remix)
Estate Productions- Marchin’
Skream- Get Em
Loefah- Horror Show (DMZ)
Coki- Lowdown
Benga- The Virus (Southside Dubstars 6)
Plasticman- Deep VIP
Skream- Hallowlerd (Southside Dubstars 7)
Benga- Dreams (Southside Dubstars 6)
Possibly Skream
Benga- The Visitor (Newstep CD, Benga Beats)
Unknown- Unknown
Unknown- Unknown
Benga- The Future (Newstep CD, Benga Beats)

Last edited:
I read the D&B mag ATM a few weeks ago and it had a quarter of a page expose on Juiceman (i'd upload it but I dont think my scanner will be working for a long time yet). I'm not sure if he's still doing D&B, but from reading the article it surprised me to learn how long he had been in the game, and that he was from Nottingham, which could have brought about his past link up with Zed Bias. I did hear him do D&B on a Sidewinder tape once. he sounded just like any other D&B MC, 500mph lyrics a la Skibadee. It was keek, but the man really suits EL-B type stuff it's a shame he's left the fold. Definitely one of Garage's best (and underrated) MC's.

A cursory glance at this new stuff left me cold: myspace.com/mcjuiceman

Last edited:
Has anyone got any tips about putting tapes onto blank CD's?

The two mixes above I played on an expensive tape deck, then put that through a mixer (to mess around with eq's, which only improved things a little bit). Then a CD recorder was connected to the mixer. The results havent been great, as sometimes the original tape recording sounds better than the final CD. Do you reckon it would sound better without the mixer as a go between? A strange thing about the mixer is that it has to be turned out extremely loud for you to hear anything, with the gains as high as they can go for you to reach 0 decibels. Whereas with playing records the mixer is perfect

I would experiment with this myself but the equipment and the cables are hiding behind boxes and underneath tables and it is very hard to change the set up without breaking a sweat :p

Another question

Is there a way of ripping a CD to the computer then merging said tracks into one. At the moment I'm tempted to upload the Geeneus Dumvalve CD (absolute classic) but I'm a bit daunted at having to manually edit the tracks and paste them all into each other to form a full mix.

I have some other good Deuce mag ones too, but I have to say the NASTY one is very overrated

Some good ones:
Teebone/Solid City/ Godsgift/ Sharky P Sharky major
Qualifide 2002
J Da Flex 2002
Natural essence Black Ops Jon E Cash Sublow
DJ Faz & DJ Deekline
Rossi B & Luca Nikki S & Nyke on Rinse
J Da Flex 2003
J Da Flex 1 Xtra promo CD (virtually the same tracklist as the one above)

Alright:
AIM records Danny C
Huckleberry Finn 34 track set 2003
Agent X label showcase
UK Urban/ paleface/ Frances James
Xtreme Talent bookings company

Two shite ones I chucked away:
Skibadee & Durty Doogz
curtis Lynch commercial R&B reggae mix

DJL

i'm joking
I read the D&B mag ATM a few weeks ago and it had a quarter of a page expose on Juiceman (i'd upload it but I dont think my scanner will be working for a long time yet). I'm not sure if he's still doing D&B, but from reading the article it surprised me to learn how long he had been in the game, and that he was from Nottingham, which could have brought about his past link up with Zed Bias. I did hear him do D&B on a Sidewinder tape once. he sounded just like any other D&B MC, 500mph lyrics a la Skibadee. It was keek, but the man really suits EL-B type stuff it's a shame he's left the fold. Definitely one of Garage's best (and underrated) MC's.

A cursory glance at this new stuff left me cold: myspace.com/mcjuiceman

Juiceman is one of my favourite MCs. Def underated. Reminds me of early raving days at Equinox at Milwaukees, Rushden where I first saw him in 1994 as Jungle was really blowing. Also him and the Shadowdemon crew like Bassman at things like Hysteria and Pure-X at the Sanctuary Milton Keynes. His distinct flow and patois works well over Jungle and early dark garage. Be interested to hear him over something like Grime.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Has anyone got any tips about putting tapes onto blank CD's?

The two mixes above I played on an expensive tape deck, then put that through a mixer (to mess around with eq's, which only improved things a little bit). Then a CD recorder was connected to the mixer. The results havent been great, as sometimes the original tape recording sounds better than the final CD. Do you reckon it would sound better without the mixer as a go between? A strange thing about the mixer is that it has to be turned out extremely loud for you to hear anything, with the gains as high as they can go for you to reach 0 decibels. Whereas with playing records the mixer is perfect

I would experiment with this myself but the equipment and the cables are hiding behind boxes and underneath tables and it is very hard to change the set up without breaking a sweat :p

I just plug straight into the CD burner Owen, mine's a shit old Philps one but it's DB level is waaay better than anything my quite good mixer can do, no idea why that is.

Heres the Geeneus Dumpvalve Cd from Deuce magazine 2003. first time I heard tunes like Wonder's What I couldnt believe it. the tracks here are so futuristic sounding, certainly more inventive than what the rest of Dubstep & Grime were doing at the time. I was well surprised when the label went on to be very popular. It's a pity no one seems to be doing this sort of stuff anymore:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/aqhwrq

Heres the tracklisting: http://www.discogs.com/release/379979
I'm sure half of this stuff never came out

I can upload other deuce mag Cds if you want. that Audio Grabber works very well, cheers, ditto for the recording advice