Hip-Hop '00s

drilla

now if only someone would make a playlist of every song in this thread, you'd have the best party soundtrack ever.

I'm seriously considering doing such a thing.. I think it's important to document this shit. Not just for parties but for history. Pop musicology is becoming a major hobby of mine.

mos dan

fact music
I'm seriously considering doing such a thing.. I think it's important to document this shit. Not just for parties but for history. Pop musicology is becoming a major hobby of mine.

o/t, but this is why grimetapes is so vital

luka

it's obvious from looking at this just how total the south's dominance has been. its quite formidable. this is in no way an idiosyncratic list. it's just hits. westwood, mtv base, a little deja and 1xtra, a little chanell u. its all the south plus a few big producers. just blaze, heatmakers,kayne, lil jon, the neptunes, timbo.... the MCs are largely interchangable.
my real love is energy music. from when i first got passionate about music, when i was a kid listening to pulse 90.6 and weekend rush and later kool fm and then magic and deja and rinse, dancehall, grime, jungle, and this stuff fits into that perfectly. i love hypeness and power and energy. thats what does it for me.

nb. you know drilla i got a playlist that has this stuff, plus the other youtube thread i got obsessed with, plus hardcore/jungle, plus elephant man, plus grime instrumentals and it gets me so overexcited its not true.

Last edited:

luka

and does anyone else get an inordinate amount of pleasure from imagining how much mr.p dart would hate this list?
fulminating at the monitor! frothing at the gash!

luka

before the year 2000 the tones was already set. you'd had songs like money, cash, hoes, superthug, banned from tv, ruff ryders anthem, ha, u understand.....
that hypenesss was there, that manic club energy was already established...
in that sense its alomst been a quite homogenous decade, theres a unity of sound in a way, whereas theres defineite breakpoints in the 90s. the g-funk thing, but also on the east that palpable fattening of sound that happeened around 94, then of course the big changes with BIG and badboy and then leading into the ditching of sampling that set the tone for the 00s....
since i had to come and stay in sydney though i havent been keeping up becuase austrlalians hate black music s im missing the developments drilla was pointing too in his 00s pop thread... would someone care to elaborate? or point to any other breaks i've missed?
maybe the crunk thing? and the influence of the other southern scenes... probably generalising too much too throw that all in with the timbalnad/swizz/neptunes thing.... i just think they laid the ground for its acceptance.... pulling hiphop away from samping which had run its course whatever tweaks premier etc were making to the formula.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
its a beautiful piece of music, though doubtful as to whther it merited a 4th posting.
i had a couple of swishouse mixtapes i got through amazon but there really is very little that comes close to still tippin and sittin sideways, at least that i know of. i also downloaded some paul wall/chamillionaire collaborations but again, not close to this level in my ears....

well i didn't see it

that's a sad one .

Immryr

i've been listening to freeway - what we do, constantly since you posted it. i forgot just how good that song is.

woops

is not like other people
rza

New album anyone?
I like it, the first 10 tracks anyway.
After that it mysteriously starts to suck.
10 good tracks in a row is good going for an album these days.
He's got quite a few West + South guys on it which i thought was funny but they sound good.