Mgmt

IdleRich

IdleRich
"How much did this JP Decerf record cost? I'm guessing a lot. Sounds excellent."
Well, I paid a fair bit for a copy but then I saw another one for about fifteen quid which I got and gave to my girlfriend. It's not that hard to find I think, my friend got it at as well with a different cover and I think the best track came out recently on a comp. Did you check the soundfile on the link? Best to listen to that before you go looking on my say so....

"Also I'm really liking the Simonetti track... this would be really fun to cover or remix. My bf plays guitar about a million times better than me, I'm gonna make him learn the guitar parts this weekend. He has that new moog so maybe I can find a similar preset to the "ribbit" sounds."
He was the guy out of Goblin wasn't he? That's why I brought it up. The other side is more of the same and also worth hearing if you like that one.

tom lea

i saw ariel pink once, it was just after they brought in the smoking ban in scotland. he played five songs, badly, left for a fag and never came back.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh ha silly me. confusing narcotic dreary sullen italo disco with narcotic dreary sullen guitar pop, casting a unjustly immature light on the actually much more sophisticated nomad. (i said i kinda liked the guitar pop only to avoid hurting her feelings)

but as ive said before, love the idea of AMT, but have never heard a single convincing rekkid, and witnessed one of the most embarrassing live shows ever by them...

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
oh ha silly me. confusing narcotic dreary sullen italo disco with narcotic dreary sullen guitar pop, casting a unjustly immature light on the actually much more sophisticated nomad. (i said i kinda liked the guitar pop only to avoid hurting her feelings)

but as ive said before, love the idea of AMT, but have never heard a single convincing rekkid, and witnessed one of the most embarrassing live shows ever by them...

Oh silly you, thinking I actually give a shit what you like.

nomadthethird

Nobody who makes African techno does drugs, no sirree!

Africans are so pure and holy.

The Other is so exotic.

zhao

there are no accidents
hey this is all very light hearted! did i insinuate that anyone cares what i like?

and what is the african straight-edge comment about? my "narcotic" descriptor? that was just an incidental word i chose... meant nothing by it.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf

I've been into them for a few years. They have a massive discography, it's definitely worth digging into. It can be kind of hit or miss, admittedly. "Mantra of Love" was the first album i really got into.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It sounds a lot like The New Radicals to me. That 'Electric Feel' song, anyway.
I think I quite like this, usually this indie pop shit turns me off before it even gets to the chorus.

It is hilarious that they use one of the animatronic Chuckie Cheese bands in the Electric Feel video. I heard Chuckie Cheese sold them all, there is a guy on youtube who bought one of them and synchs it up to a bunch of popular songs to really amusing effects.

Last edited:
I quite liked that MGMT tune during the summer, wouldn't buy the album though. The lyrics to 'time to pretend' are shockingly bad.

I still like Black Devil Disco Club:

I'm kind of insulted after looking up the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club that someone thought I liked that.

Love Black devil, Constantly No Respect off that album is amazing, check Luke Vibert's remix of 'Timing, Forget the Timing' if you haven't already.

mms

sometimes
I quite liked that MGMT tune during the summer, wouldn't buy the album though. The lyrics to 'time to pretend' are shockingly bad.

Love Black devil, Constantly No Respect off that album is amazing, check Luke Vibert's remix of 'Timing, Forget the Timing' if you haven't already.

those newer black devil bits were bad, just a shitter rehash of the original record, rinsed for all it was worth with loads of remixes.

zhao

there are no accidents
those newer black devil bits were bad, just a shitter rehash of the original record, rinsed for all it was worth with loads of remixes.

pretty much. dissapointing as although the original idea was not the kind that would likely lay a thousand golden eggs, i was hoping at least produce enough material with enough variation to fill 2 or 3 quality albums.

a lot (or maybe all) of those new school italo disco artists/labels lost momentum and headed for pure rubbish territory in the past few years IMO. this is the first time i've even thought about the topic in like 2 years. (and i used to love that stuff so much)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"those newer black devil bits were bad, just a shitter rehash of the original record, rinsed for all it was worth with loads of remixes."
I can't really say that you're wrong but I still liked it.

"a lot (or maybe all) of those new school italo disco artists/labels lost momentum and headed for pure rubbish territory in the past few years IMO. this is the first time i've even thought about the topic in like 2 years. (and i used to love that stuff so much)"
But the first Black Devil thing was from 1977 so how is it new school?

zhao

there are no accidents
I can't really say that you're wrong but I still liked it.

But the first Black Devil thing was from 1977 so how is it new school?

you are right, that just provided the blue-print for the new/retro school... i meant labels like... shit whataretheycalled...

nomadthethird

pretty much. dissapointing as although the original idea was not the kind that would likely lay a thousand golden eggs, i was hoping at least produce enough material with enough variation to fill 2 or 3 quality albums.

a lot (or maybe all) of those new school italo disco artists/labels lost momentum and headed for pure rubbish territory in the past few years IMO. this is the first time i've even thought about the topic in like 2 years. (and i used to love that stuff so much)

You're so much cooler than everyone else, how do you live with yourself?

Does anybody give a fuck about "new" italo disco? The only reason I like that release is because I wasn't around for the first one, and the original was relatively rare and unheard of until it was rereleased as remixes.

Last edited: