Mgmt

mms

sometimes
Because, of course, anyone who doesn't like what you like is a "jaded idiot on coke" who is posing.

Yup.

that's not what i mean, as i've said above i love disco etc, but there is so much good music about and that whole scene is about a certain type of distanced jadedness and alot of gear, over here anyway and a really narrow view of what makes good disco too quite often. It's hilarious how you tend to not remember any posts less than 2 posts back.

shame you don't like much new stuff but i have a feeling thats cos you may not listen to alot of it, i've djed across the board, mixed up the best of things at tempos this last year and to my suprise people have been really going for it, there is so much good new music its hard to keep up with, i've also played disco sets too etc and been disco clubs and it's just been crap really.

mms

sometimes
I'd also rather die than watch most people "dance" like a drunken moron to stupid shit because it makes them nostalgic for raves.

Most new music that you mention is about "scenes", and scenesters are fucking pathetic.

i don't see what this has to do with anything i've said at all, it's a pointless jaded post and an opinion that has no baring on anything, esp as you're defending italo disco here.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
that's not what i mean, as i've said above i love disco etc, but there is so much good music about and that whole scene is about a certain type of distanced jadedness and alot of gear, over here anyway and a really narrow view of what makes good disco too quite often. It's hilarious how you tend to not remember any posts less than 2 posts back.

shame you don't like much new stuff but i have a feeling thats cos you may not listen to alot of it, i've djed across the board, mixed up the best of things at tempos this last year and to my suprise people have been really going for it, there is so much good new music its hard to keep up with, i've also played disco sets too etc and been disco clubs and it's just been crap really.

I wouldn't know what anything is "about" on the level of its "scene" because I avoid that shit like it's the plague.

I *just* re-read the entire thread before I posted, and no, I did not forget anything you said.

If it sounds good to me, I like it, period. If there's some interesting visual or filmic aspect to the projects it is associated with it, so much the better.

nomadthethird

i don't see what this has to do with anything i've said at all, it's a pointless jaded post and an opinion that has no baring on anything, esp as you're defending italo disco here.

It's about how awful the music "scenes" are and how much I dislike them, and how most music that is supposedly good or cool now is based on an insular scene. It is relevant to our discussion of all of that great new music that's coming out.

nomadthethird

Italo disco is not a "scene" anymore, some people like italo disco just like some people like Sly and the Family Stone, but that doesn't mean they're part of the "soul" scene.

mms

sometimes
I wouldn't know what anything is "about" on the level of its "scene" because I avoid that shit like it's the plague.

i don't know why you keep on trying to do any new music down with this invention that it's about a scene so therfore you can't enjoy it, thats the opposite of what i'm saying. i don't believe you've read any of my posts so i'm leaving it there, trying to hide your ignorance with this straw man bullshit, not worth it.

nomadthethird

i don't know why you keep on trying to do any new music down with this invention that it's about a scene so therfore you can't enjoy it, thats the opposite of what i'm saying. i don't believe you've read any of my posts so i'm leaving it there, trying to hide your ignorance with this straw man bullshit, not worth it.

Ah yes, of course, I'm ignorant because I don't like dubstep and funky.

I've just never heard the supposedly "good" new music.

That's it.

nomadthethird

there is a big italo disco scene in london.

What is an italo disco "scene"? People who spin italo disco?

See, when I say "scene" I'm talking about a network of producers and artists who hang out in certain spots, have parties, etc. are on certain labels.

Perhaps there is an italo scene still in some cities, but if so they're lame and stupid, of course.

ffs mms music is over, kpunk said so.

all that stuff you mentioned is shit because i don't like the names, people use them to broadly categorize electronic music, ergo they're all scenester wankers.

also, people dancing because they're nostalgic for rave.. ? where the fuck do you go out?

STN

sou'wester

See, when I say "scene" I'm talking about a network of producers and artists who hang out in certain spots, have parties, etc. are on certain labels.

Perhaps there is an italo scene still in some cities, but if so they're lame and stupid, of course.

Well, there's just a lot of idiots in London at the moment who seem to like it. Or, more accurately (I suspect) in many cases, a load of people who say 'Italo' because they don't want to say just 'disco', rather like using 'dub' to mean, 'reggae of which I approve and think is cool', as opposed to what it really means (debatable as that may be).

nomadthethird

also, people dancing because they're nostalgic for rave.. ? where the fuck do you go out?

Excuse me?

First, I never said music was "over." There is good music now. Just not "tons" and not much more than there ever was, in my opinion.

I rarely agree with Kpunk on music, actually, to be honest.

Kpunk hates hip-hop, I love it.

I go out (rarely) in New York City, where there is no dubstep scene really beyond a small one, nobody gives a shit about techno, and there is no mention anymore of raving.

It seems there are a lot of people in the UK who are nostalgic for raves, though, based on what I've read online.

nomadthethird

Well, there's just a lot of idiots in London at the moment who seem to like it. Or, more accurately (I suspect) in many cases, a load of people who say 'Italo' because they don't want to say just 'disco', rather like using 'dub' to mean, 'reggae of which I approve and think is cool', as opposed to what it really means (debatable as that may be).

Oh yes, it was cool to say you liked "italo" over here about 5-10 years ago, mostly when I was in college.

Thing is I always really liked it.

hint

party record with a siren

So... imaginary scenarios that you assume happen, then?

mms

sometimes
Ah yes, of course, I'm ignorant because I don't like dubstep and funky.

I've just never heard the supposedly "good" new music.

That's it.

no its because you've casually dismissed all new music as you imagine it's about 'scenes,' even though (and i repeat my first statement about this) i've djed lots of different types of music this year and it's all gone down really well, people have danced and enjoyed it because it's good. If you dismiss modern music, that's fine but don't create an argument which ignores the central point of the first statement i made.

There are people who make modern italo etc, over here and buy it and dj it etc, and it's alot more clicky than going to a club like fwd, which is dubstep.grime.funky etc, people want that music to be popular, while the retro italo thing is about collecting records etc, and a kind of distant irony, much more like electroclash in a way, much more 'private party' than commercial venture, i'm not nostalgic for anything but i do like to see people dance alot.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
It's about how awful the music "scenes" are and how much I dislike them, and how most music that is supposedly good or cool now is based on an insular scene

isn't this just meaningless though... you live in one place right? you're not really a nomad, freely hopping between every major city in the world, examining all the music scenes there are to see? how can you dismiss all these scenes when you've hardly seen any of them? does the word mean something different to you than it does to me?

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
He was the guy out of Goblin wasn't he? That's why I brought it up. The other side is more of the same and also worth hearing if you like that one.
No that's Claudio Simonetti. He was involved in quite a bit of Italian disco, some of it awesome. Giorgio Farina's 'Discocross' 12" is basically Goblin playing psychedelic funky disco, no surprise, they do this on their own records anyway. Actually seems to be going for acceptable prices as well, maybe there was a boot or something. Of course it will rocket in price now it's been referenced on dissensus.

Giorgio Farina

There are some more amazing Goblin clips on youtube. Somehow I didn't imagine I'd ever see them play, despite every other fucking thing turning up on youtube eventually.

Goblin - Profondo Rosso

Goblin - (Suspiria...etc.)

The big 'Italo' craze was actually a few years ago wasn't it? I remember some DJs playing it and the quality control could be a bit lax, as someone said some of the later stuff can be pretty shit, that nasty bright piano sound, but of course there's also some excellent music. No-one's mentioned 'Italians Do It Better' but I've heard some interesting stuff around that label, not quite been moved to buy any of it though. Isn't 'cosmic' Daniele Baldelli-style a more interesting category than 'italo' anyway?

Haven't properly listened to the more recent Black Devil Disco Club stuff but I liked the 'live at Sonar' set that You Are Hear podcasted a while ago. Most enjoyable, even though all the songs do basically sound the same.

http://www.trumix.com/podshows/1754293

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
No that's Claudio Simonetti. He was involved in quite a bit of Italian disco, some of it awesome. Giorgio Farina's 'Discocross' 12" is basically Goblin playing psychedelic funky disco, no surprise, they do this on their own records anyway. Actually seems to be going for acceptable prices as well, maybe there was a boot or something. Of course it will rocket in price now it's been referenced on dissensus.

Haven't properly listened to the more recent Black Devil Disco Club stuff but I liked the 'live at Sonar' set that You Are Hear podcasted a while ago. Most enjoyable, even though all tGiorgio Farina

There are some more amazing Goblin clips on youtube. Somehow I didn't imagine I'd ever see them play, despite every other fucking thing turning up on youtube eventually.

Goblin - Profondo Rosso

Goblin - (Suspiria...etc.)

The big 'Italo' craze was actually a few years ago wasn't it? I remember some DJs playing it and the quality control could be a bit lax, as someone said some of the later stuff can be pretty shit, that nasty bright piano sound, but of course there's also some excellent music. No-one's mentioned 'Italians Do It Better' but I've heard some interesting stuff around that label, not quite been moved to buy any of it though. Isn't 'cosmic' Daniele Baldelli-style a more interesting category than 'italo' anyway?he songs do basically sound the same.

http://www.trumix.com/podshows/1754293

yeah simmonetti was easy going, in crazy gang and also kasso ( who's track key west is an all time fave of mine) and did alot of work with jellybean who remixed key west and fear by easy going for the US, who would go on to do madonnas first bits.

italians do it better is interesting, i remember the guy from that saying he wasn't that into italo, whicj is funny, as alot of the early stuff is a direct line from that whole cold electroclash thing but there are some good and interesting bits on the label, tiedye, invisible conga people etc, they're trying something different with the sound. Another really interesting guy working on the edges of that scene is Gavin Russom.