Mgmt

nochexxx

harco pronting
not sure why peeps are hating on the last black devil disco club album. it's still a blinding bit of rare black gold. even if it was a rehash of their earlier stuff it's still such an unusual and rare bit of italo production, italo style is slowly becoming a dying art these days. no one else is producing like these guys.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
not sure why peeps are hating on the last black devil disco club album. it's still a blinding bit of rare black gold. even if it was a rehash of their earlier stuff it's still such an unusual and rare bit of italo production, italo style is slowly becoming a dying art these days. no one else is producing like these guys.

Some people are just so advanced, you see... they're already tired of italo disco because it was cool, like, 10 years ago. Because, you know, people who like BDDC couldn't possibly have liked italo disco 10 years ago and still enjoy it.

mms

sometimes
pretty much. dissapointing as although the original idea was not the kind that would likely lay a thousand golden eggs, i was hoping at least produce enough material with enough variation to fill 2 or 3 quality albums.

a lot (or maybe all) of those new school italo disco artists/labels lost momentum and headed for pure rubbish territory in the past few years IMO. this is the first time i've even thought about the topic in like 2 years. (and i used to love that stuff so much)

there are a whole bunch of good italo records and some of the clone type things that progress and mix it up with italo are great, but italos so rinsed out, that in london anyway, people will just play any 80s eurotrash crap with an arpeggio and some badly sung broken english, for the sake of looking cool to their mates, its quite backward anyway, quite collectory that scene, does my head in when there is so much good new music. Disco's such a massive and varied global genre, its got so much more to give than that rubbish.

Also the original black devil's not really an italo disco record, in that it's unconnected with italo, doesn't sound like an italo record, was a 1978 french record, it's got a moogier, more live feel, like alot of the french disco stuff but it's unusual for sure.

The new black devil stuff, is just modern versions of the original track, not got the warmth and energy, anyone could have done that and stamped their name on it really, that's the problem with it.

nomadthethird

The new black devil stuff, is just modern versions of the original track, not got the warmth and energy, anyone could have done that and stamped their name on it really, that's the problem with it.

The production sounds excellent, it's actually quite warm for being so obviously digitally mastered. Beyond that, the tunes are strange and weird and fun. I like it. I don't know what BDDC has to do with all of the bad stuff that people think is good just because it's "italo", although I do like Big Ben Tribe, the Creatures, and some of that stuff.

I don't think there's that much good music coming out, really, except on top 40 radio.

I think anyone who owns all kinds of records or CDs is "collectory" about music.

Personally I'm not at all collectory about music, I barely own any music, I usually couldn't be bothered even if I do like something to buy it. I wait for someone else to buy it and burn it for me.

nomadthethird

And actually, the original BDDC records do sound very italo, the beats are especially Moroder-esque, and really the original albums were only appreciated by those within the "italo" scene (which wasn't altogether Italian, anyway).

zhao

there are no accidents
Does anybody give a fuck about "new" italo disco?

a lot of it is not really Italian, but lots of people cared about "new italo disco" labels like creme organization, Bangkok Impact sounded really very good judged by all the criteria which made BDDC great, and not entirely derivative either. and also the Kitsune label had artists who made good things, albeit a bit further from the aesthetic, like Black Strobe, Cosmo Vitelli, Playgroup, etc.; but now they don't make as good tracks and the label is kind of taken over by the bad digitalism type shit.

i might do a mix of this new-school type stuff... would be euphoric trashy fun...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

am i wrong to think that stuff like this is carrying on moroder's legacy?

You're so much cooler than everyone else, how do you live with yourself?

it's pretty easy to live with me. i am indeed cooler than a lot of people but in an inclusive way and i'm always into talking about other people and their interests. i'm never snobby, condescending, or completely self centered. also, perhaps most importantly, i am capable of admitting it when i am wrong, of shifting or even changing my position on any given issue with the appearance of new information.

The only reason I like that release is because I wasn't around for the first one, and the original was relatively rare and unheard of until it was rereleased as remixes.

I don't think there's that much good music coming out, really, except on top 40 radio.

wow you like things just because they are rare, old, and not discovered by many? and there is not much new music good enough for you? sounds like you are pretty damn cool yourself nomad! :)

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
And actually, the original BDDC records do sound very italo, the beats are especially Moroder-esque, and really the original albums were only appreciated by those within the "italo" scene (which wasn't altogether Italian, anyway).

i don't think the new black devil stuff is very good at all, is it ok to do that ?
It's a pale imitation of the original. I'm not saying its like crappy italo stuff.

Black devil (one record which came out in 1978) , i helped hunt down and get the thing relicenced when i worked at rephlex and ran the whole release. Not all european disco is part of the italo genre, esp the french stuff which had a life and style of it's own, even though nowdays everyone wants to brand everything thats not chic or moroder as italo for some reason, god knows why.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
nowdays everyone wants to brand everything thats not chic or moroder as italo for some reason, god knows why.

i guess my above post is prolly guilty of this. maybe it's because that sound was so distinctive that it left more of an impression on people than the french stuff? or maybe just because "italo" sounds cool innit. to me it's a sound, don't matter where it was actually made. or maybe it should. i don't know.

zhao

there are no accidents
according to Woebot:

Italo Disco has little to with Italy apparently. I had imagined this whole genre of Italian Disco which I was wholly ignorant of. I was missing out something terrible! It seems I have many of these tunes already and that the term refers to a period of dance music: "The fabulous middleground after discos staged death in the US and it's glorious worldwide revenge..."

http://www.woebot.com/movabletype/archives/000034.html

mms

sometimes

yes, this is true but matt also doesn't know alot about italo which is something he admits, this is a better summing up; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italo_disco
a bit broad though, at the beginning. the stuff that i wonder why people bother playing is all the later trashy pop stuff, esp when there is so much better disco also so much better stuff from other genres at the time or a bit later if you're going to be like that, loads of great electro, electro funk, ebm, pop and ndw, new beat etc, italo is so ever perscribed, mostly by people who were into electroclash i wonder. Why not just get into something new and good really, there is loads of that around.
in the end who fucking cares its only music, i'm sure someone who knows more will argue that black devil is italo, infact on that page too, dan selzer says it is haha.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
Originally Posted by nomadthesecond

yeah parts of those BDDC records were accurately aping moroder pastiche. that bddc snare sound is pure moroder. In fact because it is so close I’d be willing to bet it’s a sample.

Originally Posted by mms
nowdays everyone wants to brand everything thats not chic or moroder as italo for some reason, god knows why.

The reason for this stems from a few scarce reference points which refer to italo as being a term to describe an umbrella of european disco. Of course this doesn’t mean to say that other strands of european disco from outside italy don’t fall into their own sub categories as well.

From Wikipeidia :
During the 1980s, the term "Italo-disco" was used in Europe to describe all the non-UK and non-US based dance productions.[citation needed] In North America and the UK, Italo-Disco was mostly an underground phenomenon that could only be heard at night clubs or through homemade DJ mixes

I like the idea of Italo disco being a made up genre needed to support the italian djs who refused to give up those spacey european disco sounds.

zyx records to the thread please !

another reason for theo parrish to think that genre terms are crap!

mms

sometimes
From Wikipeidia :
During the 1980s, the term "Italo-disco" was used in Europe to describe all the non-UK and non-US based dance productions.[citation needed] In North America and the UK, Italo-Disco was mostly an underground phenomenon that could only be heard at night clubs or through homemade DJ mixes

I like the idea of Italo disco being a made up genre needed to support the italian djs who refused to give up those spacey european disco sounds.

zyx records to the thread please !

another reason for theo parrish to think that genre terms are crap!

yeah zyx is german, that really was an italo label!
i actuallly prefer the spacey eurodisco stuff i think, stuff with strings and weird fucked up electronics is what i want, harder to come by though.

nomadthethird

wow you like things just because they are rare, old, and not discovered by many? and there is not much new music good enough for you? sounds like you are pretty damn cool yourself nomad! :)

No, I like things because they sound good.

Looks like you missed the part where I said most of the music I like is on top 40 radio, too.

But don't let the details or the facts stop you when you think you're on a roll.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Like what?

Dubstep? Guh. Rehashed dancehall? Indie guitar-based folktronica?
no, good music though there is a hell of alot of good dubstep out there at the mo if you forget about the crap,
there is enough of loads of different genres to play like disco djs played, different styles, diff speed, everything from funky, to wonky instrumental hip hop stuff, good dubstep and grime, bassline, dancehall, techno and world electronic music stuff, fidgit house stuff, new disco, tropical stuff etc.. loads of stuff thats great for dancing rather than music for jaded idiots on coke to pose to.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

no, good music though there is a hell of alot of good dubstep out there at the mo if you forget about the crap,
there is enough of loads of different genres to play like disco djs played, different styles, diff speed, everything from funky, to wonky instrumental hip hop stuff, good dubstep and grime, bassline, dancehall, techno and world electronic music stuff, fidgit house stuff, new disco, tropical stuff etc.. loads of stuff thats great for dancing rather than music for jaded idiots on coke to pose to.

Because, of course, anyone who doesn't like what you like is a "jaded idiot on coke" who is posing.

Yup.

I don't like dubstep much, don't like grime much, bassline is ok I guess, dancehall is about as "rinsed" as you can get, I don't know what fidgit house is but doesn't sound too exciting, and I have no ideal what "tropical" stuff is.

nomadthethird

I'd also rather die than watch most people "dance" like a drunken moron to stupid shit because it makes them nostalgic for raves.

Most new music that you mention is about "scenes", and scenesters are fucking pathetic.

Last edited: