Campaign For Real DJ's

Alfons

Way of the future
drum machines don't have the sort of universal groove that would go down well while dj'ing at a bar.

zhao

there are no accidents
Drum machines are used by fakers who cant play the real thing. Have you ever heard real drummers Zhao? They shit all over your poseur drum machines :D

totally, brother. i feel you. the natural way is good, and the unnatural way is evil. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR BOTH IN THE WORLD.

in fact, any technology is unnatural when it comes to music making.

the voice is the only natural music making method. all instruments are unnatural and must be abolished!

zhao

there are no accidents
I downloaded Ableton a few months ago. I realise this is a slightly luddite question, but how the fuck do you actually dj with it? Am I missing some hardware? Is there a good site that explains all this?

um... try the user manual?

vimothy

yurp
Ha -- I've tried to read that, but I don't have the time nor patience to sit around reading user manuals nowadays. Decks -- they're pretty straightforward, which is why I use 'em!

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
its just more & more now I seem to see mix cd's being handed out all over the place where the whole thing is clearly mixed on ableton/whatever those mixing programmes are, and it just sounds un-naturally tight

This is interesting. I have a good number of Ableton mixes stored on the computer than I listen to all the time. Personally I'd rather that a mix cd - or increasingly mix mp3 or equivalent - was as tight as possible. After all, it's a release that you've prepared for the public, showcasing your skills - why would you want mistakes, hesitations etc surviving to the finished product? I think people ought to get away from the idea that a DJ mix can only ever be a document of you playing records live, once you get away from being strictly tied to the real-time progression a lot of interesting things are possible.
Out in a club is different, of course, there I like to hear plenty of improvisation and audience interaction. If it ever reached the hypothetical stage of someone just clicking start on a playlist, I would give them air. But most clubers I speak to feel the same, so I don't reckon there's much risk of this happening. It should also be noted that recent versions of Ableton and similar software have features designed for this sort of interactive use.
I do agree with Droid that some of the full potentials of Ableton style mixing haven't been widely realised yet. It would also be a shame if the old techniques started to be lost; someone who really wants to be good at DJing ought to strive to be as flexible as possible. That's why personally I'm trying to make myself familiar with all different methods, the more hands-on and the more software-based ones. Of course, that's part of why it's taking me bloody ages to get anywhere, but ho-hum. :D

nochexxx

harco pronting
prior to abelton 6 all previous releases sounded total crap to my ears. until abelton announced it was changing their audio drivers i had this argument countless times with various muso buddies. my advice is if you think it sound shitty then trust your instincts and move on. everyone is different, mind.

zhao

there are no accidents
I do agree with Droid that some of the full potentials of Ableton style mixing haven't been widely realised yet.

funny my partner just informed me that all of Ableton team in Berlin are coming down for our party Saturday night... i might feel a bit self conscious about the technical aspects but then i remind myself that it's not about that.

alex, see the Dogme thread i just bumped: i think those are some of the real problems with djs these days.

D

droid

its not that sort of thing that I find lacking from the ableton mixes tho, they just feel colder and more clinical somehow, hard to describe. At least the ones I do myself (not sure if I could tell the difference with other peoples mixes tbh)

There is something about the economy of the process that (I think) encourages conservatism. If Im mixing on the decks and things are going well the next track pops into my head, and a minute later I'm trying the tune out in a mix (if I can find it!). if I'm using Ableton, I start with a tune, and then start looking through files and previewing stuff to see if it will fit... I'm less inclined to try things that I suspect might not work, because I have to spend x-amount of time putting the markers in to see if it will fit (not a problem for tunes with heavy and defined rhythm), so I end up experimenting less and Djng less by instinct.

I can't stand being out and facing a laptop DJ, I almost feel insulted. Do what you want in the house but if you're playing out I want to see some physical actions. I think a lot of this has to do with upbringing for me though- my dad was an acid house dj, i got my first decks at 15, it just gets me down to see it reduced to clicking buttons. I don't even like CDJs really, to be honest, even though I own them.

NB- This only applies to beatmatched sets.

vimothy

yurp
Checking out droid's links -- it doesn't look particularly live... Can you mix with Ableton without using the sequencer?

EDIT: Or maybe you can mix live with the sequencer. I should just shut up and have a go, really.

D

droid

No, but you can drop tunes in on the fly and loop sections and edit things as you go.

Serato is the way to go for live digital mixing

Alfons

Way of the future
also @zhao obviously no one is taking that sort of luddite approach to ableton or other technologies. Im just speaking from personal experience, that my ableton mixes feel stiffer and colder than the ones I do on turntables (they are also, to be fair, better mixed and cleaner...). Still love ableton as a programme and a sequencer

Would like to hear your response/defense of ableton (besides calling people criticising it snobs) and reasons for choosing it in a live environment