Bragging rights - heroic events of immense kudos achieved before you lost your edge

BareBones

wheezy
i once made an off-the-cuff remark about "a fucking pisshead twat" without realising mel gibson was standing about four feet away from me, he glared at me for some time afterwards.

continuum

smugpolice
I saw Kasabian at Northampton Roadmenders before anyone else had heard of them. I wrote a review for the music fanzine I was doing at the time absolutely slating them and then they got really popular...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
..this isn't claims to generic fame though, we talking about stuff YOU care about about, which you can bore the youngers about when you're propping up a whetherspoons bar somewhere. the fact mark e smith politely said hello to me in some birmingham street is a much bigger deal than me sleeping with carole decker from t'pau

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I have shot the shit with Mike Skinner.

And, when I was a little bastard living in Singapore, I waited in line for an hour to give Jackie Chan the finger.

Also, like two years ago, my Dad blagged his way into a party Jamie Foxx was having at a hotel.

soul_pill

Hearing that Lou Reed had come all the way to a gig to meet me (that i'd neglected to turn up to -as support).

BareBones

wheezy
rolf harris once complimented me on my beard, and took the piss out of my friend's, saying he should try to grow one more like mine.

benjybars

village elder.
i've served Tim Westwood in a bookshop i worked at (he bought TWO (!) books by that crazy Carole Caplin life coach woman). when he paid he pulled out the fattest role of notes i've ever seen with my own two eyes.

also served Mike Skinner in a bookshop (he bought a rather tasteful coffee table book on pictaresque french villages). This was about three years ago when there was talk of him signing skepta. i asked him if this was true and he said "doubt it. he makes a good t-shirt tho.."

massrock

Working in shops I have served Brian May and Laurie Anderson. One was a bit of a knob and one was very nice and charming.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
A couple of years ago I had to physically carry Siouxsie Sioux out of a gig & down a flight of stairs after she K-holed. She dribbled on my top.

I've also met The Crankies & (when I was tiny) Johnny Morris. Which is even cooler :cool:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Kissed Annie Anxiety

nice one!

saw a good mate get hit on by a leering, wasted Gary from D.I.R.T. at a Schwartzeneggar gig once. she was like 16, he was like 40. then Steve Ignorant came over & said something like "ay luv don't mind him he's just a dirty old bugger".

rode freight trains w/the bass player from Chokehold (for those what know their vegan SxE HxC bands)

played in a band & lived with my mate Chomsky from Desobediencia Civil (kinda like the Los Crudos of Mexico), which is the biggest deal to me out of any of these by far

oh & a guy I knew from the dojo I used to train at went to the Isle of Skye to study sword-making with the Baron (aka Rob) from Amebix

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
rode freight trains w/the bass player from Chokehold (for those what know their vegan SxE HxC bands)

ha! i went to their last show ever. in columbus, ohio. some dozen plus years ago. hockey masks in the pit.

ummm... my mom was friends with michael ray's (from kool & the gang) mother in the 1980s. went to their shows for free, hung out backstage, wore white suspenders. a few years ago, saw him playing trumpet for the sun ra arkestra----i charged backstage to let him know his mom inherited my vicious dog, etc. he didn't seem to know what i was talking about. good times.

also, i went to tyrone hill's (from the arkestra) funeral and was invited to cross streams in a tiny bathroom with one of his relations. i declined, backing slowly away...