Bragging rights - heroic events of immense kudos achieved before you lost your edge

zhao

there are no accidents
just wait until polystyle gets here... but he might not be in the mood to type 6 pages

i opened up for pan sonic once...

Last edited:

Leo

I saw Nirvana in the Duchess of York pub in Leeds in 1989 supporting Tad in front of about 50 people

i saw what was probably the same tour, nirvana opening for tad, at maxwell's in hoboken nj in front of about 15 people. also saw rem there on their first club tour (a sold out show, but that's only 125 people at maxwell's).

and i grew up two blocks away from popular television chef emeril lagasse. he looked exactly the same as a kid.

PeteUM

It's all grist
i saw what was probably the same tour, nirvana opening for tad, at maxwell's in hoboken nj in front of about 15 people. also saw rem there on their first club tour (a sold out show, but that's only 125 people at maxwell's).

and i grew up two blocks away from popular television chef emeril lagasse. he looked exactly the same as a kid.

My mate saw that tour and shook Kurt's hand. When he told me I, ... er... shook his hand...

Leo

and also once had a totally unexpected dinner with lee renaldo and his wife lea at odeon in nyc. we went to a text of light show at the whitney and afterwards were invited along by some friends of friends who know them. really nice couple, i must say.

dave

the day today tonight
I walked past Bootsy Collins and Buckethead with my boss once.

Me "Hey that was Bootsy Collins and Buckethead!"
Boss "How do you know?"
Me "Well... Buckethead had a bucket on his head, and Bootsy had a green sparkly jumpsuit and star glasses"

gumdrops

i went to pete libertineshambles flat once for a gig. that should count. he gave us gummy bears. or some sort of haribo.

Benny Bunter

I was there...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I offended Byron Coley by talking about a dumb review I read in the Wire, only to find out he wrote it.

Edwin Pouncey complemented my mate on his Voivod patch.

I punched the singer from Selfish Cunt (remember them) in the ribs when he was out in the crowd doing his "confrontational" thing (I am of the firm belief that if you're doing that shit, you have to accept whatever's coming to you)

I saw Maximo Park before they were big, and a mate of mine used to live with one of them (apparently he's morbidly afraid of anal rape).

Met Cronos from Venom in the pub a few times.

Gave Alan Bishop (Sun City Girls) a can of Special Brew which he couldn't finish, made crass comments about Americans.

Not great, but fuck it, I'm so much younger and more provincial than most of you.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, another good one - the guitarist from The Horrors was in the group of first-year physics students that I rather ineptly demonstrated Excel and Visual Basic to a few years ago. Nice lad, ridiculous hair.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Trying to think of funny ones...

Played support for Robert Henke / Monolake and was the only one that night not using his software (Ableton Live). He got really excited and lurked over my shoulder, watching what I was doing, asking me stuff... my set slowly turned into some kind of live product demo as I changed sounds solely to show him how it worked. He seemed really disappointed with the software. :)

One of Flight of the Conchords was a guest at my wedding (old school friend and we've played in various bands). Years later, after they got their TV show, my brother's wife told me how hot she thought one of them was, and described (accurately) what he was wearing at the wedding ... only fact she got wrong was which guy it was!

Was asked to house Mad Mike at mine and said no cos I was tired of house guests. :D :D Oh shit. :eek: :(

zhao

there are no accidents
Sun Ra played at my house.
autumnal BBQ session turned outer space voyage,
improvising with the wind and a family
of rare parrots on their way back to florida

i had Scott Walker's baby.
a quiet and lovely redheaded girl
big penetrating eyes looks through
and beyond you. she's 10 now.

oh and
mulatuandme.jpg

i've known Mulatu for decades...
played drums in his band on and off
between 75 and 77, i was 2
the infamous ethiopian chinese baby drummer

and
kala_me.jpg

Kala Ramnath wrote a raga for me when i turned 30
i chose hers over many others,
even Hariprasad Chaurasia's submission
because it was just simply the cats' meow

Steve Goodman was larging up my dj mixes and the author of Celestial Jukebox had this to say about me.

that's all.

for now.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh and i'm openning up for

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

at the
54px-Brandenburg_gate_sunset.jpg
in August

also supporting the west african psychedelic muppets Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> in September.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
ummm... my mom was friends with michael ray's (from kool & the gang) mother in the 1980s. went to their shows for free, hung out backstage, wore white suspenders.

i jumped Kool's car a few years back... he left his lights on and his battery was dead... he was indeed, cool... funnily enuff, Al Green once helped my grandmother clean the corrision of the terminals of her battery... she said he was a gentleman... i hope to someday have a son, so he can have a battery related interaction w/ an r&b musician of his own, perhaps standing in line behind Usher at Pep Boys or something...