luka

Yeah, this is why you keep telling you you are a conservative tea I don't know why you don't just own it. It's a respectable position to hold. Nothing wrong with it. I respect it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm all for changing things for the better, I'm just aware that "tearing it all up and starting again" has a history of not exactly ending well.

I mean the Tories are awful but they're preferable to Pol Pot.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This already feels like we're having a conversation we've had a hundred times before.

Only difference is that I'm a bit miffed droid isn't here to hear you say "We need a new Cromwell", lol.

luka

that's why we're not going to have the conversation. Haven't you got something nice to say about churches?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Actual small-c conservatism could, in principle, be a force for good against the big-C Conservative party, who in their own way are tearing it all up and starting again. Or tearing it all up, at any rate.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that's why we're not going to have the conversation. Haven't you got something nice to say about churches?

Humanity will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

luka

Actual small-c conservatism could, in principle, be a force for good against the big-C Conservative party, who in their own way are tearing it all up and starting again. Or tearing it all up, at any rate.

Absolutely

Leo

Yes Leo that's why I used their language. I didn't think it was that subtle.

and of course, that righteous story line turned out to be be complete farce: the base still turns up to cheer at trump's rallies, but it's all just a "let's have a laugh" reality show night out on the town. the swamp is 10x deeper and more corrupt than ever, the wall isn't built and Mexico didn't pay for it, health care is not better than it was before and he hasn't delivered on the vast majority of his campaign promises...yet the cheering and support of the faithful continue.

so much of the moral outrage is phony, just for show. something to do, a desire to metaphorically stick it to the Washington insiders and coastal elites. tribalism.

I know very little about UK politics, but reckon it's not vastly different there.

Leo

not cynical. jaded, world weary, perhaps.

btw, on other threads I'm accused of being the quintessential American optimist!

luka

Everyone thinks they're a realist. But to answer your question, no, I don't think Corbyn is the same as Trump.

john eden

male pale and stale
Radical change is happening whether we want it or not.

Economically, ecologically, cosmically.

"Moderate progress within the bounds of the law" isn't cutting it.

john eden

male pale and stale
Shit changes when you have a family (and a nascent new career in my case). I want less uproar and outrage, not more. Obvs this is sticking my head in the sand with climate change on its way. I don't think I'm likely to get it either.

Re. the anger you're expressing....One reason I think things could v much break in Corbyn's favour is 'cos of optimism, which is v different from rage. Lot of young supporters, a more positive take on things, a Green New Deal, no less. Who could possible believe Boris Johnson giving you an optimistic take? That could work for him as well.

I'd be wary of generalising about fatherhood. Since being a Dad I joined my first political party, contested several elections, got involved with some intense community campaigns, read all 3 volumes of Marx's Capital and went full communist.

The optimism Corbyn has is the only practical short term solution to the background levels of rage out there. And even he is just buying people off.

It's notable that the Tories usual tax bribes are missing from their campaign so far. That's how dysfunctional capitalism is. A Tory Brexit obviously won't deliver what a lot of its supporters expect it to.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'd be wary of generalising about fatherhood. Since being a Dad I joined my first political party, contested several elections, got involved with some intense community campaigns, read all 3 volumes of Marx's Capital and went full communist.

The optimism Corbyn has is the only practical short term solution to the background levels of rage out there. And even he is just buying people off.

It's notable that the Tories usual tax bribes are missing from their campaign so far. That's how dysfunctional capitalism is. A Tory Brexit obviously won't deliver what a lot of its supporters expect it to.

Wellllll, since you mention it, since becoming aDad, I've blown my career up, and am going to try and make a living from healing trauma via bodywork and orgone and have done more magick than ever before. So there's something in what yr saying....

More thoughts later I agree with your general gist though

Leo

But to answer your question, no, I don't think Corbyn is the same as Trump.

that wasn't the question, corbyn is obviously very different from trump and I hold him in much higher regard. I was talking about the fervent supporters of each, whether the passion is actually based on policy or just the entertainment factor of sticking it to the opposition.