Page 206 of 207 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207 LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3091

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

101 comes up a bit too. Neo = The One, Cypher = Zero. Neo lives in Apartment 101 (Room 101) and obv. binary is 1s and 0s.

Always assumed the 101 was a 1984 reference.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Yeah, Room 101 but there's the other stuff I mentioned too.

For sure. The binary is a good shout. Never thought of it.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

It would make more sense for Smith to be called Cypher given how the story pans out, but maybe they hadn't thought that far ahead.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Thought it meant code? Or else a kinda thing that stands for another thing.

Ah

The word "cipher" (minority spelling "cypher") in former times meant "zero" and had the same origin: Middle French as cifre and Medieval Latin as cifra, from the Arabic صفر sifr = zero (see Zero—Etymology). "Cipher" was later used for any decimal digit, even any number. There are many theories about how the word "cipher" may have come to mean "encoding".

I watched a decent early film by Joseph Losey with a young Oliver Reed called These Are The Damned. Reed is a kind of proto-type Alex with his gang of proto-droog teddy boys in black leather but the film goes in unexpected sci-fi directions and in fact ends up as a really bleak and nasty bit of cinema. Well worth checking, and if you do watch it don't check what it's about I'd say cos it's best enjoyed that way. Oh it's Hammer I should say.

Last edited by IdleRich; 13-11-2019 at 02:06 AM.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco was fantastic. Best movie I've seen in a while.

As a fan of motorsports I had to go and watch "Ford vs Ferrari", and it was great. Quite close to the actual events, and the racing scenes weren't souped up too much via CGI. Oldfashioned storytelling.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

So no one's fucking with Shaun the sheep huh?
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

has everyone seen the maradona doc?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona_(film)

by the same guy who did the amy winehouse and senna (?) ones. really good. actually that same guy, asif kapadia, he got his break in the biz helping with locations in east london on full metal jacket.

but yeah, this film, it's the best of the bunch. all the archive footage of naples is great, some of the weird things people did there at the height of diegos fame (painting graffiti with him as jesus being cradled by the virgin, nurse who took his blood for a test placing a vial of it in the church of san gennaro) slightly incredible. and then the inevitable descent.

We need a thread for films that aren't unreservedly great or bad. Whatever. Today we watched High Life from Claire Dennis with Robert Pattinson and Mia Goth and Juliet Binoche, it's closer to the totally recommend end so I will put it here. Weird film with convicts sent into space and experimented on by a renegade doctor. The non-linear narrative is unnecessary and to me merely confusing what is going on. I think that with the interesting stuff she'd put together it would have been better to have confidence to let that speak for itself instead of obscuring it like that.