IdleRich

IdleRich
"notice i said "the 20th century construction of", meaning a particular kind of individuality in the 20th C, meaning that it is not exclusively a 20th C phenomenon."
Ah, ok, thanks - so you mean the 20th C construction as opposed to other previous constructions, not that the only construction appeared in the 20th Century. I still want to know what makes you think it is different and how we can ever know that with any degree of certainty.

vimothy

yurp
Further to IdleRich's post, what exactly is an individual? And how is his/her identity constructed or constituted?

vimothy

yurp
Because it seems to me that if identity is a negotiation between the individual and everything else, even if the individual remains constant, everything else changes, and thus the identity constructed by/forced upon the individual will be different.

People aren't necessarily different, but their imaginary worlds, their social worlds, their political worlds, etc, etc, are changing.

zhao

there are no accidents
"I find it hard to imagine (I suppose, for obvious reasons) that humans of 10,000 years past weren't essentially the same as people now."

"hard to imagine" is the key phrase here.

it is accepted by scholars of archaelogy, anthropology, etc., that social organization was drastically different 10,000 years ago -- and that our way of life, is a very recent and very brief phenomenon. it is hard for us to imagine because we know of, and have never experienced, any other way.

please, everyone who is interested in this and have not done so, listen to that short chapter on the Dobe...

another good reference for "the particular 20th C construction of individuality" would obviously be the Century of the Self series of BBC documentaries...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"please, everyone who is interested in this and have not done so, listen to that short chapter on the Dobe..."
I can't listen at work I'm afraid. I'll try and catch it some other time.

"another good reference for "the particular 20th C construction of individuality" would obviously be the Century of the Self series of BBC documentaries..."
I've seen it and it's fantastic to watch but I wouldn't really say it amounts to a coherent argument.

Anyways, I accept that point about how it's hard to imagine the society of thousands of years ago and for that reason I'm not sure that they are the most worthwhile to talk about. That's why I focused on the 20th century quote - when you read a book by Jane Austen or any of the other classics that are constantly being adapted for tv there seems to be something going on in the mind of the author that people today can identify with quite easily - hence all the adaptations. I take from this that Jane Austen and presumably others of her period had an experience of life that was similar to those who watch her adaptations and read her books today and that this similar experience of life includes a concept of individuality.

zhao

there are no accidents
Anyways, I accept that point about how it's hard to imagine the society of thousands of years ago and for that reason I'm not sure that they are the most worthwhile to talk about.

see, that is precisely why the studies of currently functioning band-level societies, the members of which live the way our ancestors did for, depends on who you ask, 2 - 4 million years, are so important.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"see, that is precisely why the studies of currently functioning band-level societies, the members of which live the way our ancestors did for, depends on who you ask, 2 - 4 million years, are so important."
Sure, it's important and interesting, but I'm still interested in what you think makes the 20th century conception of the self different from that of the 19th.

zhao

there are no accidents
(re: Century of the Self)

I've seen it and it's fantastic to watch but I wouldn't really say it amounts to a coherent argument.

but it certainly makes a compelling case for the rise of unique and in many ways unprecedented ways of social organization/communication/brainwashing/construction of the self. application of psychoanalytical theory on a mass scale and the birth of PR/advertising as we know it... pretty specific to our times if you ask me.

EDIT:

Sure, it's important and interesting, but I'm still interested in what you think makes the 20th century conception of the self different from that of the 19th.

ha, answered your question before even reading it taht's how good i am :D

IdleRich

IdleRich
"but it certainly makes a compelling case for the rise of unique and in many ways unprecedented ways of social organization/communication/brainwashing/construction of the self. application of psychoanalytical theory on a mass scale and the birth of PR/advertising as we know it... pretty specific to our times if you ask me."
Well these seem like things which might cause a different construction of individuality or might not - and when I compare the concept that those around me appear to have of theirselves as an individual to the concept that an author of a book written before the events in question appears to have of his or her self I conclude that they did not.

zhao

there are no accidents
i am pointedly against claims along the lines of "it's always been like this".

it is obviously, obviously not true.

zhao

there are no accidents
this bit is not really well thought out, but i would say off the top that "the 20th century construction of the individual" is not what it seems at all: for all its talk of individual freedom, there is actually very little of it experientially speaking; and that our times will probably be characterized by an underlying conformity and obeying of implicit laws (in Zizekian terms) to future historians.

also like the crazy Slovenian says: "we lack the very language to articulate our lack of freedom"

vimothy

yurp
Do either of you disagree with any of the following:
  1. One of the key determinants of identity is sociocultural
  2. The sociocultural field is always in flux
  3. Therefore identity itself is always in flux

zhao

there are no accidents
Do either of you disagree with any of the following:
  1. One of the key determinants of identity is sociocultural
  2. The sociocultural field is always in flux
  3. Therefore identity itself is always in flux

i can't find any faults with that.

but the flux is not so frequent or so wildly random that we can not perceive general historical periods with distinctive characteristics.

and what we are trying to determine, in as much as is possible ( both for people deep in the forest [to see the damned trees], as well as for online procrastinators who really should be working), is the general shape of the evolution of this flux in the bigger historical perspective, and the relationship of the current permutation to previous ones.

mixed_biscuits

I disagree that modern Western society is unable to provide the conditions for a fulfilling life, notwithstanding (the obsession with) the obsession with buying and selling.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
i would say off the top that "the 20th century construction of the individual" is not what it seems at all:
I guess (bit late to ask perhaps) I'm not totally sure what you mean by the construction of the individual. Can you elaborate?

"Do either of you disagree with any of the following:
One of the key determinants of identity is sociocultural
The sociocultural field is always in flux
Therefore identity itself is always in flux"
For the first one, what do you mean by identity? Is it the same as "the construction of the individual"?
I think that no-one would deny that personality can be affected by external conditions. The question is whether the changes that such external pressure can cause are fundamental enough to change not just personality but the nature of what personality even is (and in fact to actually call it into existence where it didn't exist before).
So I agree or disagree with point one depending on how key a determinant your sociocultural factors are.

mixed_biscuits

The question is whether the changes that such external pressure can cause are fundamental enough to change not just personality but the nature of what personality even is (and in fact to actually call it into existence where it didn't exist before).

This is the nub of the matter.

zhao

there are no accidents
This sounds like a mission to make massive generalisations, with predictable ends in mind.

I disagree that modern Western society is unable to provide the conditions for a fulfilling life, notwithstanding (the obsession with) the obsession with buying and selling.

ah ok the guinea pig thinks this conversation is useless... so why not just leave us to pursue our futility and go play your horn?

and dunno about you but a 20 hour work week seems a lot more fulfilling than a 40 hour work week...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
The question is whether the changes that such external pressure can cause are fundamental enough to change not just personality but the nature of what personality even is

i have no doubts that they are.

two things i believe can never be underestimated:

1: the extent to which we can adapt to new conditions,
2: the shortness of our collective memory.

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

and dunno about you but a 20 hour work week seems a lot more fulfilling than a 40 hour work week...

Well you're making points that are too general.

It depends what work you do - I gladly work more than I need to because I enjoy and see the point of what I have to do. I think, by and large, that I am fulfilled - despite living in a modern, Western, capitalist society. And I haven't bought a shiny car to achieve this either. I don't even have an ipod or a telly.

Last edited: