crackerjack

Why have they cut it to two matches a day on tv now? I don't have ITV4 and even if I did, I wouldn't want to be flicking between two games. I'd rather watch them in full, seperately.

Is it because of Wimbledon?

no, it's cos final group matches are always played simultaneously. if you want to know why, rread this

edit: it''s good to be reminded, in this age of love for the German team, that the side of 82 were actually pure evil

scottdisco

rip this joint please
this is a stab in the dark but i reckon it's commercial reasons. i don't think it's anything to do w the tennis. i'd guess it's something to do w the two final group games in each individual group being treated as one for commercial reasons given the same KO times and both BBC and ITV got to bid or whatever, for only one bloc at a time.

i see the BBC are screening Argentina on BBC1 tonight and the other pair on BBC3, so they have both those games, as if they bid for them in a bloc. (total speculation i must stress.)

personally i'd rather have Arg: Greece on BBC1 and Nigeria: South Korea on BBC2 and fuck off the tennis to BBC3, but i realise Wimbledon is a big thing for Auntie.

agh: x-posts aplenty

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
There was a bit of a discussion about youth development earlier in the thread, so I expect these two links might be of interest.

This article in the New York Times on Ajax's youth academy, which covers something similar to Jenks's (?) post about his son's experiences.

How the U.S. develops its most promising young players is not just different from what the Netherlands and most elite soccer nations do — on fundamental levels, it is diametrically opposed.

Americans like to put together teams, even at the Pee Wee level, that are meant to win. The best soccer-playing nations build individual players, ones with superior technical skills who later come together on teams the U.S. struggles to beat. In a way, it is a reversal of type. Americans tend to think of Europeans as collectivists and themselves as individualists. But in sports, it is the opposite. The Europeans build up the assets of individual players. Americans underdevelop the individual, although most of the volunteers who coach at the youngest level would not be cognizant of that.

The American approach is the more democratic view of sport. The aspirations of each member of the team are equally valid. Elsewhere, there is more comfort with singling out players for attention and individualized instruction, even at the expense of the group. David Endt, a former Ajax player and a longtime executive of the club, told me, “Here, we would rather polish one or two jewels than win games at the youth levels.”

Americans place a higher value on competition than on practice, so the balance between games and practice in the U.S. is skewed when compared with the rest of the world. It’s not unusual for a teenager in the U.S. to play 100 or more games in a season, for two or three different teams, leaving little time for training and little energy for it in the infrequent moments it occurs. A result is that the development of our best players is stunted. They tend to be fast and passionate but underskilled and lacking in savvy compared with players elsewhere. “As soon as a kid here starts playing, he’s got referees on the field and parents watching in lawn chairs,” John Hackworth, the former coach of the U.S. under-17 national team and now the youth-development coordinator for the Philadelphia franchise in Major League Soccer, told me. “As he gets older, the game count just keeps increasing. It’s counterproductive to learning and the No. 1 worst thing we do.”

This article in the Guardian is also quite telling as to why we maybe lag behind other nations - to say we don't have enough qualified coaches would be an understatement.

Facilities might also be a factor. In Soccernomics they look into which nation over performs most given it's population, international experience, etc. and the answer the get is Norway, which, amongst other things, has lots of good pitches and plenty of football clubs for people to join. I'll see if I can find the relevant passage later.

don_quixote

Trent End
the other thing i heard, maybe here, jose mourinho could not believe it when he came to england and found that players were only trained to play in one position.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Rudolfo Borrel - Liverpool's academy director who was previously head of Barca's academy and who had players like Messi and Fabregas pass through under his reign - has made comments about the shocking state that he found Liverpool's academy in when he joined last year. These are two of the biggest clubs in England, so if they have had serious problems I expect it is fairly widespread.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Article about why African teams aren't doing too well at the World Cup here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/21/world-cup-2010-africa

Bloomfield adds: "It's one thing to play barefoot in the street when you're six years old and develop your skills that way, but to actually become a proper footballer you need good coaches and facilities. Brazil is in parts very poor but it also has pockets of enormous wealth and a very strong footballing tradition, so there are numerous centres of excellence if you're a talented 12- or 13-year-old. Africa doesn't have that.

"Look at the African stars who have made it: almost all of them went to Europe at a very early age. Drogba was in France when he was still a kid. In South Africa still, the facilities at schools for rugby and cricket are incredibly superior to the facilities for football."

Meanwhile, Greece need a win but it seems like they don't want to attack. Argentina would most likely score if they did but they're not going to go through by playing for a goalless draw

crackerjack

Meanwhile, Greece need a win but it seems like they don't want to attack. Argentina would most likely score if they did but they're not going to go through by playing for a goalless draw

Nice quote from the commentator: do the Greeks sit back and defend 0-1? They're that sort of team.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
Once Messi got away from his marker he produced some fantastic chances. That shot that hit the woodwork was a belter. It's a shame it didn't go in.

The second little burst was great too. It's like the ball is glued to his feet. Lovely finish from Palermo too.

I hope Messi gets on the score sheet this world cup. He seems to create so many goals for other people atm.

Veron is looking a bit shaky these days. A few passes went astray and he seemed a bit off in general. Having said that, there was some lovely football from him.

Not much to say about Greece. They got what they deserved.

grizzleb

pleased for palermo. pleased for maradona. i want him to win the world cup, possibly more than england.
I totally agree. It's a kind of fatalism. He has to win the world cup, and with Messi as his natural heir has a Messi(anic) air to it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

"Things The England Team Could Learn From Mildly Obscure Hip-Hop Tracks of The Early Nineties."

I mean, who edits this? I'm really glad they didn't though, because I want to see this become a regular series. In fact, i want to see it replace the Daily Mail. Slightly disappointed the quote he included made sense though. Far better a complete non-sequitur:

"I rap for listeners, blunt heads, fly ladies and prisoners/Hennessey holders and old school niggas, then I be dissin a unofficial that smoke woolie thai.

Rooney could do worse than to listen to this advice in the hours leading up to England's crunch clash with Slovenia."

Last edited: