Help me cook a posh meal

IdleRich

IdleRich
Kitchen window permanently locked since someone tried to break in a few years ago and we fixed it with a block of wood as a "stop-gap" measure.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'd do something with roast chicken - get the nicest drumsticks you can afford and do something like this: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/roast-chicken-with-chilli-and-basil
or this:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/01/roast-chicken-with-dijon-sauce/#more-7119
with a few bits and pieces on the side.

If you're going for multiple courses, aim for lots of stuff that you can do in advance and keep in the fridge (eg mousse) or warm up when you need it (eg soup). Otherwise you'll spend the whole of your nice romantic date charging around the kitchen with steam coming out of your ears trying to get five things ready at once.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Alive and kicking yeah. Went very well - thanks very much for all your help. I cooked.... well I don't want to say but the help from the hive-mind was invaluable in helping me select and prepare.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Er, yeah, we did kissing. Anyway, it's further on in the year but plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose and I am still broke but I need to cook for a different girl. Tonight.
Think I'm gonna go for those sweet and sour onions as a side or something - but I've got a question, if I make them now can I easily heat them up later or will they burn when I do that?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Truly unfuckupable:

Salmon en papillote - get foil. douse with olive oil. put salmon on. sprinkle over : chopped spring onions; cherry tomatoes; bit of a vegetable stock cube; butter (v important).

Put in oven, take out after 20 mins-ish when cooked. Serve on rice. Probably the best meal possible for so little work. Possibly put fennel seeds on top (not a necessity though).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Not sure about the onions, sorry."
Actually it's cool, gonna do 'em now and serve 'em with a beef carpaccio also cold - getting all ambitious now. That just leaves a main and a dessert. Which admittedly I will almost certainly just buy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you've got a meaty starter could you go with a veggie main? Mushroom risotto is easy and pretty good. Get some good mature parmesan on top and it seems pretty luxurious for something that's fairly easy and cheap. Plus it fits with the starter inasmuch as it's Italian. And you can meatify if you want with some prosciutto (or bacon).

you

I've cooked this: umpteen times, very easy, very tasty, get a good white bordeaux to go with maybe...

... oh and a box set of will and grace too

e/y

a pretty decent / easy dessert:

get a bunch of large oranges, cut in half, remove the pulp carefully. fill in the orange half-sphere things with ice cream (vanilla...), put in the freezer for an hour or two. the oils from the orange add flavour to the ice cream, and it looks cool, too - the orange becomes frosted over.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
If you've got a meaty starter could you go with a veggie main? Mushroom risotto is easy and pretty good. Get some good mature parmesan on top and it seems pretty luxurious for something that's fairly easy and cheap. Plus it fits with the starter inasmuch as it's Italian. And you can meatify if you want with some prosciutto (or bacon).

Roast butternut squash and sage risotto (the butternut squash is roasted, not the risotto) is a bit of a winner, too.

In general I find that heaving things like fresh mint and basil around the place like there's no tomorrow is a good way to make food look posher than it is. On the recommendation of someone around here I did the Ottolenghi kisir the other day, which has all that plus pomegranate seeds. Would go nicely with grilled meat or roast vegetables.

Oh or do pasta with tomato sauce (eg this one which is very very easy and very very nice) and then stick a round of grilled goats cheese on top of each dish (grill it on tinfoil in case it starts melting), maybe top it off with a pair of basil leaves for extra pretentiousness points, and serve with a green salad on the side.