Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Not a bad week in Berlin just there, which is tipping along despite some of the NYC/LDN diseases becoming a lot more acute, especially around housing. Everything else though remains pretty affordable and the biggest benefit as far as I can see is barriers to starting new venues and keeping others open are still almost uniquely low for a city of this nature - the security/policing/licencing hoops people have to navigate in London, eg. are alien still.

CTM festival had a very strong line up around the city and use of Berghain during the week, putting on stuff usually not seen in there. Jay Mitta, Dj Diaki and Zoë Mc Pherson preforming live as 3Ok was immense: breakneck Nyege Nyege rhythms way way up in the BPMs with huge angular half step subs. Really really good stuff and refreshing, hopefully the project will see a release or two. Defo recommend if they are about summer festivals. DJ Hvad also on decks and singing bowls was a much much better than it sounds. Menacing but very understated too, real pro at work.

Funny though, first few times I was in that place from around 2007 on it was definitely part of a wider international constellation of self-consciousness but has definitely settled into just being self-consciously Berghain now. City is well placed in the queer boom currently going mainstream clubbing either way.

New York has sorted itself out a bit since this thread started? Has started to export music again at least after a very long lull. I was despairing for London for a while as musically it had become a bit of a techno tribute act - Rinse has been puzzling here - but the crew around co-op and all the bruk guys are doing cutting edge stuff very much of its homeplace.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know this forum is mixed on clive martin but this article definitely nails the way parts of london are being turned into a playground for professionals

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know this forum is mixed on clive martin but this article definitely nails the way parts of london are being turned into a playground for professionals

Hmm, he's that Vice wally who thinks you haven't had a good night out unless someone has tried to nick your wallet or beat you up, isn't he? Good piece of writing, all the same. I'll have to take his word for it that London is like that now, as it might as well be on Ganymede as far as I'm concerned these days, but it all sounds depressingly plausible.

I like how he tries to convince himself that everyone doing all these things is secretly miserable, but in the very last line admits to us, and himself, the hipster's greatest fear: What if uncool people are having much more fun than me?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I dunno, whenever I see one of these Youth Of Today pieces I find myself wondering whether they're just seeing the same old stuff with this year's clothes on, or whether they're talking about sort of actual structural change in behaviour, or at least a change of intensity. Like, does it really make a difference that people are going out to an indoor mini-golf course and a street food market rather than a Leicester Square multiplex and an Irish theme-pub? Or is it just that the latter seems less remarkable because it's how things were when we were young?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
One thing that probably is a structural change is that younger people are drinking less, so I guess it's unsurprising that people are looking for things to do socially that aren't just sitting in a pub for four hours.

Should have been a third of the length it was this one. The point was made well enough in the first 3 paragraphs but it is a good point worth repeating

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I hear that hardness and aggro are in such short supply these days that some poor souls have been obliged to literally beat themselves up on a night out for want of a proper fight. :(

wild greens

in a few years time the big dick skycrapers of the City and canary wharf are all going to deserted aren't they. Repurposed as anarchist squats and illegal techno venues. Burnt out Pret a Mangers smouldering amid the ever present thump thump thump of yet another 5 day Chris Liberator set at the Gherkin. This is the future.

This post seems very prescient at the moment with HSBC jumping out. Wonder if we do get a world where it dies and becomes something else

There are probably loads of posts like this i guess it was just the first one on search under canary wharf