luka

you have to make your own mistakes and more than that you actually have to be bored, and frustrated, and irritable.

luka

it's like some kind of alchemical procedure where you go through all the negative emotions before you can relax and go, actually this place isn't too bad.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
This is why the dam can seem amazing sometimes and also sometimes horrendous, I think.

Rotterdam is very different, i wouldn't like to be on acid there
i think rotterdam is the most british city in holland when it comes to architecture and demographics. it's more caribean than amsterdam, but also more racist and ugly.

wild greens

i think rotterdam is the most british city in holland when it comes to architecture and demographics. it's more caribean than amsterdam, but also more racist and ugly.

We went to watch Feyenoord as a cheap little weekend mainly then went that Toffler- shite- but yeah it was a strange vibe all weekend. I liked it in a way but felt a lot of aggro in the streets. Some great food tbf

luka

what it reminds me of is the ubisoft open world games people complain about. where instead of exploring the territory and happening upon things by chance you are tugged from map-marker to map-marker
LIstory promises an augmented reality tour of the interior. What LIstory cannot promise, however, is a reliable cell signal, and the app only “unlocks” a point of interest when it detects a hiker’s proximity. For 10 frustrating minutes , I moved around the castle, standing on benches and waving my phone at the sky, in a vain attempt to connect

sus

“An ugly thing, that is what you are when you become a tourist, an ugly, empty thing, a stupid thing, a piece of rubbish pausing here and there to gaze at this and taste that, and it will never occur to you that the people who inhabit the place in which you have just paused cannot stand you,”

was just reading this https://www.vox.com/culture/23798890/american-tourists-travel-trends-vacation-optimization and was wondering, is that a new thing that the whole of usa goes to europe in the summer or is that something recent?
It's interesting, the complaint about the Amalfi Coast being hard to get to. Ostensibly this difficulty is why things are well-preserved. Inverse relationship between difficulty of ransacking a place and how ransacked it is

maxi

do the new yorkers have any non-typical recommendations? I'm going for about 10 days in august and will be free to roam anywhere pretty much every day

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I can't think of a British city where you come out of the train station and are immediately greeted (some might say confronted?) by a colossal gnome brandishing a buttplug.

version

Rudewhy had that great post about Legowelt being to the Netherlands what Burial is to London.

The Netherlands is concurrently a very different place (at least spatially) from Britain, yet it feels far more familiar culturally than, say, France or Germany. It successfully implemented modernism as a method of social organisation in the form of architecture and urban planning in a way that we, by all accounts, failed miserably at. Burial's music is normally talked about as an artistic reflection of the lived experience of the failure of this project i.e. the tragic experiences that we've touched upon in the Grim Britannia thread that state-sanctioned modernist architecture gave rise to and which Mark Fisher/Owen Hatherley dedicated their careers to examining. The Netherlands, on the other hand, appears to be a country where this project was implented on a far greater scale (due predominantly to the wider extent of physical destruction the country was subjucated to during WWII) and where it seems to have worked - I'm not aware of the total social breakdown and visual dilapidation in the Netherlands of the kind the UK experienced from the late 1970s - mid 2000s. Maybe some academic marxist/economist types will have explanations for why this was but for me, from my own experiences and from what I've read at least, the Netherlands seems to have got it right where we got it so very, very wrong. On the other hand, the success of the Netherlands model lends to itself it's own air of sterile melancholy, and it is this feeling which I believe Legowelt's music best articulates.