Dissensus Best of 2011 Discussion

luka

he has never made a secret of being a successful lawyer. he is still young though, younger than me at any rate.

Elijah

Butterz
Even though accessibility is better I dont make the assumption that everyone listens to every show or goes through youtube looking for new tracks. In fact it makes me be more focused if anything because there is so much choice in terms of what to listen to out there.

Someone last night asked me what Faze Miyake - Take Off was and that is one of the most played Grime tracks of the past 12 months.

Just balance init. I don't need to play Woooo Riddim every week now, but if people didn't for a period of time it would have never got that big.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Even though accessibility is better I dont make the assumption that everyone listens to every show or goes through youtube looking for new tracks. In fact it makes me be more focused if anything because there is so much choice in terms of what to listen to out there.

Someone last night asked me what Faze Miyake - Take Off was and that is one of the most played Grime tracks of the past 12 months.

Just balance init. I don't need to play Woooo Riddim every week now, but if people didn't for a period of time it would have never got that big.

yeah but elijah you have 4 shows a month, often more. my feeling is if you did four 100% upfront shows a month the quality would drop. this debate started when i said our shows were focused on upfront not repeating established tunes but then we have only 1 show a month, makes it easier.

Leo

struck by how many 2011 best of lists include peaking lights "938" and metronomy "english riviera" (even a top pick from reynolds and woebot, i believe). i ripped a friend's copy of the PL cd when it came out, listened to it about twice, didn't make much of an impression. have only heard online samples of "english riviera", seems kind of blandish fleetwood mac-meets-hot chip.

have i missed out on something worth reinvestigating?

Last edited:

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I can recommend the Peaking Lights album if you like long dubby slightly Krautrocky guitar tunes. It's not really a winter album in my opinion

grizzleb

I can recommend the Peaking Lights album if you like long dubby slightly Krautrocky guitar tunes. It's not really a winter album in my opinion
Love classifying albums by season. It's not a Glasgow winter album certainly. I was back up there three weeks and back into some harsh electronica, haha. Amazing album though.

Cheers for whoever recommended the new Lukid EP - been listening, it's a bit great. Sparse, simple, crisp. The way the main instruments sort of shift as the track progresses between sounding like synthesis and a sample is great. Really nice EP.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
RE: djs not playing enough same tunes: so is this the reason why Original Face's King Of The Stars didn't become anthem? that tune just sounds so anthem-like...

what are the anthems of bass scene anyway? top of my head comes that Jamie XX's tune and Sicko Cell (although that might be more of Boddika/Swamp81 thing)...

rrrivero

If by bass scene you mean the whole post-dubstep thang then Hyph Mngo would probably qualify as an anthem. I'm tempted to say Getting me down, although I'm not sure about how much playtime it's got. Probably the Mosca remix of Heartbeat and U Cheated by Deadboy as well (although that seems largely forgotten by now)

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Man I'm still discovering stuff so good I wonder how I could've missed on it. Why did I not read about these guys somewhere?

woops

is not like other people
It's just that that kind of aesthetic doesn't fit into Reynolds' conception of what constitutes the 'new'. If you get the same feeling as him from listening to new music, then fine, but if there's plenty of stuff that excites you then it seems a shame to let a middle aged critic convince you that it's all bunk. I think the persuasiveness of his writing (he's a brilliant writer) and his level of influence has, lately, convinced a lot of people that their tastes are in some way 'wrong'.

It's a silly idea anyway isn't it. Saying innovation is outmoded is literally to say that old's new.

It only works if you theorise, or something, a post-hauntological state where nothing even haunts any more, being, instead, dead. Deceased. Ex-music.

woops

is not like other people
What I think is odd about hauntology is that it is so so informed by academic critical theory. (One minute there was no blogodrome, the next there were dozens of people who'd read all the books hauntedly posting) That's the wrong way round in my opinion. If you're an artist you should pay no attention to theorising. Theorising can then do its work. I'm sure this is another old-fashioned view.